Half-Life 2

Purkake

EDIT: Is there actually anyone here who liked HL2? I feel like I arrived in the anti-half-life forums instead of a general gaming forum.
I liked it. ,o/

The odds aren't in our favor, the Combine will win.

All I need is a crowbar and victory will be ours.

...And no, you can't be Alyx.

EDIT: Is there actually anyone here who liked HL2? I feel like I arrived in the anti-half-life forums instead of a general gaming forum.
I liked it. ,o/

The odds aren't in our favor, the Combine will win.

One thing that is great about this board is the lack of slavering fanboys for any game. Amost every game, even the popular ones, have a pretty balanced assortment of people who like/dislike it.

I know there are a lot fo people here who like HL2. They'll be along shortly, I'm sure.

As for myself, I never played HL2 since I didn't really like HL1 all that much so never had much reason to try the next one.

I respect HL1 because it did a lot of new things in the shooter genre, but I didn't really enjoy it all that much.

Notice how I can belittle your beliefs without calling you names. It's a useful skill to have particularly where you aren't allowed to call people names. It's a mistake to get too drawn in/worked up. I mean it's not life or death, it's just two guys posting their thoughts on a message board. If it were personal or face to face all the usual restraints would be in place, and we would never have reached this place in the first place. Try to remember that.

One thing that is great about this board is the lack of slavering fanboys for any game. Amost every game, even the popular ones, have a pretty balanced assortment of people who like/dislike it.

I know there are a lot fo people here who like HL2. They'll be along shortly, I'm sure.

As for myself, I never played HL2 since I didn't really like HL1 all that much so never had much reason to try the next one.

I respect HL1 because it did a lot of new things in the shooter genre, but I didn't really enjoy it all that much.

Well, there are still the anti-fanboys.

HL2 is really a game that everyone should try, even if you won't like it. Try the demo or something.

Well, there are still the anti-fanboys.

HL2 is really a game that everyone should try, even if you won't like it. Try the demo or something.

I actually own it. I have the unopened box sitting on my shelf. I can see it from here. It's not the original version, but the GoTY. I think I picked it up at a discount or something.

Notice how I can belittle your beliefs without calling you names. It's a useful skill to have particularly where you aren't allowed to call people names. It's a mistake to get too drawn in/worked up. I mean it's not life or death, it's just two guys posting their thoughts on a message board. If it were personal or face to face all the usual restraints would be in place, and we would never have reached this place in the first place. Try to remember that.

I know this will freak her out (:p) but I'm with Crashgirl on this one. Sure the game was a cut or two above all of its present rivals but it was just a good to very good game. It had its high points and it had its boring and idiotic moments (Can we have some squad controls on par with Freedom Fighters in this decade please? And while at there, can we have some guns that are not fisher price pew pew plastic pieces?) but overall it was an enjoyable and fun game. The expansions were even more polished than the original game but I think Valve is about at the limit of "things that can be done with only in game story and gameplay". I don't think they can create more creative parts without adding some parts from different genres, be it Racing, Rpg (Skills or Inventory) or Simulation (Mech and Plane and Tank and whatnot)

Edited by cronicler

IG. We kick ass and not even take names.

Then I suggest you play it. It's not very long and you can give us some fresh perspective on it.

How long is it? Roughly? 10 hours?

I know this will freak her out (:p) but I'm with Crashgirl on this one. Sure the game was a cut or two above all of its present rivals but it was just a good to very good game. It had its high points and it had its boring and idiotic moments (Can we have some squad controls on par with Freedom Fighters in this decade please? And while at there, can we have some guns that are not fisher price pew pew plastic pieces?) but overall it was an enjoyable and fun game. The expansions were even more polished than the original game but I think Valve is about at the limit of "things that can be done with only in game story and gameplay". I don't think they can create more creative parts without adding some parts from different genres, be it Racing, Rpg (Skills or Inventory) or Simulation (Mech and Plane and Tank and whatnot)

What comes after very good?

Then I suggest you play it. It's not very long and you can give us some fresh perspective on it.

How long is it? Roughly? 10 hours?

Pretty much If you roughly know what you're doing.

Edited by Purkake

Does it have VATS?

very good is about 8 on my personal scale (1 to 10). After very good comes near perfect and almost perfect.

There can never be perfectness but some games can come as close to it as the tech allows like Grim Fandango.

1-Valuesoft game

2-Bad Game

3-Still a bad game but you might enjoy it if you are extremely fond of the genre

4-Has Problems

5-Decent

6-Decent to Good

7-Good

8-Very Good

9-Near Perfect

10-Almost Perfect

Edited by cronicler

IG. We kick ass and not even take names.

Does it have VATS?

Only the kind that you dunk things into and even those are pretty rare.

lol. Awesome. :

The best part about HL2 was Highway 17. That was point where I finally exclaimed "Hooray, now I can explore the world at my leisure with my very own jeep!". Of course, it did allow the exploration of those neatly placed abandoned homes, but that was about it. Same thing goes for the disappointment of City 17.

Still, I even find Star Wars: Dark Forces to be more entertaining than HL2. At least in that game, every level was designed as a "Here is what you have to do, feel free to do it in your spare time" sort of affair. There was no "scripted" advancement in the level, but simply more of a leisurely exploration.

Edited by PastramiX

I quite enjoyed it the first time I played it, but I can't seem to force myself to get through it again. I've tried starting about 4 times since I first finished it and each time I've given up shortly after you get your first gun. It's just really, really boring. :lol:

Ep1 wasn't really very good. Too much Alyx in it.

Played a bit of Ep2, but stopped because there was no more point in carrying on.

As far as I'm concerned, the part where Alyx gets killed is the best ending the series could possibly hope for, so I stopped it there since the devs will probably do something stupid like make her not dead anymore.

Hadescopy.jpg

(Approved by Fio, so feel free to use it)

Definitely one of the top shooters I've ever played. The two best things are the atmosphere and that just about every combat encounter is a sort of puzzle in itself, where you have to figure out how to best dispose of the enemies. Environmental puzzles were great too, definitely a cut above what you usually see in games. The story was OK, not outstanding but did the job. There was some lack of motivation so that sometimes it seemed like a long road trip. Episode 1 had the tightest construction so it's probably my favorite. Don't really understand the complaint about weak guns, I loved to splatter Combine on the walls with my shotgun. May be the reason some people don't like it is because it's a slower paced shooter, with lots of rising and falling action, instead of being frenetic throughout, the latter being something I strongly dislike. Just a theory.

Edited by Wrath of Dagon

"Moral indignation is a standard strategy for endowing the idiot with dignity." Marshall McLuhan

I enjoyed Halflife 2 immensely the first time I played it. Still play it now and again, but the lustre has off several parts, like the driving and the waterboat. Antlions are now simply an annoyance, but at least in the episodes I can cover their boltholes with an old car and the gravgun. Valve deserves kudos just for adding that. I like the characters, the story, the atmosphere. They all succeeded in drawing me in to the game. Can't ask for anything more from a game, I guess... except for episode 3, please.

I took this job because I thought you were just a legend. Just a story. A story to scare little kids. But you're the real deal. The demon who dares to challenge God.

So what the hell do you want? Don't seem to me like you're out to make this stinkin' world a better place. Why you gotta kill all my men? Why you gotta kill me?

Nothing personal. It's just revenge.

*Raises hand*

There still hasn't been a FPS that compared to it. That's not to say it's perfect, far from it, but it is still the best.

cylon_basestar_eye.gif

I quite enjoyed it the first time I played it, but I can't seem to force myself to get through it again. I've tried starting about 4 times since I first finished it and each time I've given up shortly after you get your first gun. It's just really, really boring. :ermm:

I never finished an FPS twice, cuz there's not really a point and you know what's going to happen already, shouldn't really be a fault of the game

I've replayed HL2 to see the better graphics on the 360 (compared to Xbox), but it wasn't as good as the first time, but that's a usual problem for me. The only other shooter I replayed was Return to Castle Wolfenstein, the replay was also awesome but I turned off the auto-aim.

"Moral indignation is a standard strategy for endowing the idiot with dignity." Marshall McLuhan

So what did you like/dislike about HL2 and/or the episodes?

I disliked that they ditched a bunch of things that made HL1 great. Unfortunately a lot of those things are intangible, like atmosphere and art direction, so that's always hard to get right, and is also kind of subjective.

I can replay HL1 just because it's so fun. Same for Portal. I have no desire to replay HL2 or Episode Two. (OK, so I'd like to replay Episode One but that's an exception.)

Having said all that, HL2 was still above average... for an FPS.

Edit: I've also replayed System Shock 2 and Deus Ex.

Edited by Krezack

I quite enjoyed it the first time I played it, but I can't seem to force myself to get through it again. I've tried starting about 4 times since I first finished it and each time I've given up shortly after you get your first gun. It's just really, really boring. :sorcerer:

I never finished an FPS twice, cuz there's not really a point and you know what's going to happen already, shouldn't really be a fault of the game

You could say that about most games really. Why go back and play Starcraft a second time? What about Thief or, Baldur's Gate? You know what's going to happen, but just because you have that advance knowledge shouldn't mean that the game is no longer fun. That's the time where the rest of the game has to step up and provide a level of fun that is independent of it's connection to the story. That's where Half Life 2 failed for me.

for pure shooters, not counting deus ex/system shock etc, Half Life 2 takes the cake.

it does all the main shooty stuff right (though in the time since I've come to feel that a bit more "weight" should be added to the guns) plus it HAS atmosphere, sort of a dystopian 1984 setting, with aliens. and it has some likeable characters (mostly just alyx and dog), cool set-pieces, good use of vehicles (ep 2 I'm lookin at you) and alot of shiny graphics.

runner up might be CoD 4. The respawning enemies in that game REALLY REALLY REALLY get on my nerves though.

I wonder what games most of the people who dislike half life 2 think are superior? certainly not halo or gears of war or FEAR? Farcry? (was decent, not superior though), chronicles of riddick? (I actually can imagine someone liking that game better)

I'm not sure people are thinking through the whole "half life 2 is a bad fps." statement... that genre is kinda weak in general unless you add some sort of role-playing/stat element to it

OR you're talking multiplayer games like counter strike - which are a whole different animal imo

Killing is kind of like playin' a basketball game. I am there. and the other player is there. and it's just the two of us. and I put the other player's body in my van. and I am the winner. - Nice Pete.

FEAR is so much more entertaining.

"Alright, I've been thinking. When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade - make life take the lemons back! Get mad! I don't want your damn lemons, what am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life's manager. Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons. Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! With the lemons. I'm going to to get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that burns your house down!"