TOP 25 PC games of all time by IGN

Bubble Shooter's art direction is perfectly executed, some big-budget efforts of late would do well to be half as good.

Sorry, when I think of flash games, I think of ~12 year olds playing Adventure Quest in the computer lab.

I liked Radical Aces and the same developer's racing game.

These "Top #" lists are kind of a dumb concept--they're always someone's opinion and it never matches anyone else's. Not to mention that most of them are so popular we've already played them, so what are we really learning?

A better concept would be "# Games you need to play before you die" or something. Then you can put some really obscure **** in there, not because it was the most popular or got the highest review scores, but because it's actually a unique experience and everyone should give it a chance. Games like The Last Express and Dark Eye that even when new were largely overlooked.

Maybe we ought to try to write up a list like that--sort of a Criterion collection for vidjagames.

Edited by Aram

Having played most of those games I gotta say, I agree with what they're saying. admittedly I might choose CivII over IV. admittedly their grading scale seemed to value quality AND changing of the paradigm. Rather than just quality.

I did like mech 2 and tie fighter being high on the list, people often forget mech 2, and tiefighter is more often unappreciated.

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

Oni was cool, but deeply flawed no?

Graphics were kinda ugly but a: we don't care about that, b: had at least pretty colors.

The combat system had a few small problems - namely some moves required almost the same buttons to execute, which sometimes led to..complications. Nothing serious though.

The AI was superb for it's time, enemies manouvered, picked up dropped weapons(!), etc.

Oh yeah, cutscenes didn't have moving mouths, portraits were shown instead. Horrible.

@Purkake: Of course you remember ****ing blue, that was the main characters "uniform" color.

Edited by Oner

@Purkake: Of course you remember ****ing blue, that was the main characters "uniform" color.

Nope, was there perhaps a "virtual" tutorial room? If not then it must have been the menus and maybe the effects(looking at screens, most of them are blueish).

Nope, was there perhaps a "virtual" tutorial room? If not then it must have been the menus and maybe the effects(looking at screens, most of them are blueish).

The menu and clothes mostly, the other two things not particularly.

The menu and clothes mostly, the other two things not particularly.

Maybe I'm crazy. It was like 10 years ago too.

These "Top #" lists are kind of a dumb concept--they're always someone's opinion and it never matches anyone else's. Not to mention that most of them are so popular we've already played them, so what are we really learning?

A better concept would be "# Games you need to play before you die" or something. Then you can put some really obscure **** in there, not because it was the most popular or got the highest review scores, but because it's actually a unique experience and everyone should give it a chance. Games like The Last Express and Dark Eye that even when new were largely overlooked.

Maybe we ought to try to write up a list like that--sort of a Criterion collection for vidjagames.

Please do it.

Have never really looked at "strategy games" before, but have seen Civ IV Gold in the stores a lot recently, and I've been wondering whether or not I should give the game a looksee.

List seems to suggest I should, at any rate. :thumbsup:

I'd have liked to see Tribes take BF1942's spot. But other than that, agree with most of them being on there (sort of wished for TA to be on there).

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

...or Masters of Orion sadly.

That list just failed any and all saving throws :x

Checking the list, I've played the following:

Grim Fandango

Fallout

Sid Meier's Pirates!

Battlefield 1942

Baldur's Gate II: Shadows of Amn

Star Wars TIE Fighter

(I've played X-Com and Sim City too, but not on PC)

I guess it is pretty pointless trying to create a list that mixes such a variety of genres.

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein