Toyota's New Robot Runs Like a Human

Humodour

Not interested until the humanoid love bot is released.

There was a time when I questioned the ability for the schizoid to ever experience genuine happiness, at the very least for a prolonged segment of time. I am no closer to finding the answer, however, it has become apparent that contentment is certainly a realizable goal. I find these results to be adequate, if not pleasing. Unfortunately, connection is another subject entirely. When one has sufficiently examined the mind and their emotional constructs, connection can be easily imitated. More data must be gleaned and further collated before a sufficient judgment can be reached.

Not interested until the humanoid love bot is released.

http://gizmodo.com/367698/technosexual-one...e-of-robot-love

*vomits*

This should have been the central story of the thread. Who cares about running robots. A guy humping his USB hub is win.

- When he is best, he is a little worse than a man, and when he is worst, he is little better than a beast.

A robot that runs like a human?

You mean infrequently and wearing bad shorts?

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

Humans would be foolish to give sentience to a machine. Just look at what happened in the BSG and Terminator worlds.

War is Peace, Freedom is Slavery, Ignorance is Strength

Baldur's Gate modding
TeamBG
Baldur's Gate modder/community leader
Baldur's Gate - Enhanced Edition beta tester
Baldur's Gate 2 - Enhanced Edition beta tester

Icewind Dale - Enhanced Edition beta tester

When they start thinking like humans, then I will be impressed... and worried.
They won't - they have no feelings to impair their reason and no egos to protect.

- When he is best, he is a little worse than a man, and when he is worst, he is little better than a beast.

Humans would be foolish to give sentience to a machine. Just look at what happened in the BSG and Terminator worlds.

If you are serious and the reason you feel that way is because you've watched too much BSG and Terminator, I pity you.

Sentience does not necessarily imply thinking like a human. Kilian here is proof of that. Miserable bugger.

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

That is video-cool, but definitely lacks practical usage at this stage.

I'm mildly miffed that by the time humans may have robot servants to do laundry and dishes, I'll probably already be dead. :shrugz:

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Sentience does not necessarily imply thinking like a human. Kilian here is proof of that. Miserable bugger.

I take not thinking like a human as a compliment.

"Your Job is not to die for your country, but set a man on fire, and take great comfort in the general hostility and unfairness of the universe."

Not quite new, but strangely appropriate:

Australia seeks new army robots

"The ultimate plan is for groups of these sophisticated machines to be sent into battle to help neutralise the enemy. "

:rolleyes:

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

You can see where they're coming from - Australia is an extremely lucrative country in terms of wealth and raw resources and would be a prime target for invasion if ever a war broke out. The challenge for our government is defending such a vast land mass from such a mass invasion when all they have is a small army but a huge technological advantage. Robots and drones are certainly an effective answer to that dilemma, and they also cut down on allied casualties.

I'm aware it's not all sunshine and lollipops, but what are your specific qualms with the concept, Gorth, accepting that this has nothing to do with strong AI (i.e. a Skynet scenario)?

Who said I had any qualms? :)

I was just cleaning out some old browser bookmarks and remembered this thread when I got to this one. For all I care, wars could be fought entirely amongst the robots :thumbsup:

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

Guest The Architect
You move too slow, Krezack.

I run faster than a robot, thank you very much!

I would hope so, I want to actually enjoy hunting you down. Not much fun if you can't outrun a robot, is it?

Guest The Architect
You move too slow, Krezack.

I run faster than a robot, thank you very much!

I would hope so, I want to actually enjoy hunting you down. Not much fun if you can't outrun a robot, is it?

Good luck seeing straight you silly drunk!

The only thing I'll be seeing is your mum... at poker night.

Every time I look at this thread I read "Toyota's new robot runs like a hitman" :shifty:

By the way: http://www.sankakucomplex.com/2009/06/10/l...78-2-completed/

Edited by Oner