Borderlands

Purkake

New video showing some actual gameplay and elaborating on the story and rpg mechanics.

This is looking more and more like what Fallout 3 could have been if some actual creative people had been working on it(sorry, but FO3 is very much like Oblivion+). Cool art style and a Mad Max feel with the wasteland and vehicles.

Edited by Purkake

It's a lot like Cybermage, which was a hugely underrated shooter/rpg-esque game many years ago.

Only thing I am really not seeing in Borderlands atm is a single player narrative, other than a go there/find that thing.

WHich may be enough, even if that is all there is.

I like the art style.

Notice how I can belittle your beliefs without calling you names. It's a useful skill to have particularly where you aren't allowed to call people names. It's a mistake to get too drawn in/worked up. I mean it's not life or death, it's just two guys posting their thoughts on a message board. If it were personal or face to face all the usual restraints would be in place, and we would never have reached this place in the first place. Try to remember that.

This looks actually really cool. And Gearbox knows how to make great shooters, so I'm not worried about that part. FPS+RPG has always been one of my personal favorite mixes....

So if it doesn't get horrifying reviews, I think I'll pick it up.

Edit: I also would like to see some of the char screens and inventory (if there is one).

Edited by Morgoth

Seems a lot like Hellgate: London. Grind, fetch, upgrade weapons, rinse & repeat. I'll be looking out for Rage instead.

But Borderlands is actually made by a developer with some experience and it doesn't have a subscription model. Rage is way off in the future.

Seems a lot like Hellgate: London. Grind, fetch, upgrade weapons, rinse & repeat. I'll be looking out for Rage instead.

But Borderlands is actually made by a developer with some experience and it doesn't have a subscription model. Rage is way off in the future.

Were/are the people at Flagship/id not experienced?

Were/are the people at Flagship/id not experienced?

I'm not saying anything bad about Rage or id, it's just not coming out yet.

The Flagship people were more game developers and less business people, I'm sure they could have made a decent game if they had had more time and resources.

I just dont understand why they went all Prince of Persia on it and added the black outlines around everything. The screens where its not so prevalent look so much better.

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

What's wrong with outlining things?

Notice how I can belittle your beliefs without calling you names. It's a useful skill to have particularly where you aren't allowed to call people names. It's a mistake to get too drawn in/worked up. I mean it's not life or death, it's just two guys posting their thoughts on a message board. If it were personal or face to face all the usual restraints would be in place, and we would never have reached this place in the first place. Try to remember that.

There's a lot of previews out there. Here's one from Rock, Papers Shotgun.

Apparently it's a lot like Diablo. The four different characters all represent different classes with different branching skill trees, one dude is a melee guy, one is a sniper, the chick is stealthy and I can't remember what the last one does. You can play single player with just one of the four, but people can jump in Diablo-style and you can play it co-op. The classes' skills compliment each other. You can also do PvP, but you have to issue a challenge and they have to accept, if they do you get invincibility from the outside world till the duel is over. It will have an rpg style inventory system, but I don't think there are details on that yet. You'll also have a normal health bar and a regenerating shield bar.

Edited by Purkake

Because it looks like piss, and its such a cheapshot to pull graphicswise. Either you go full cartoony like TF2 or even toon/cellshading, or you keep it regular. You dont take a regular game and slap on some cheap outlines because someone in the design meeting is a complete loon.

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

Because it looks like piss, and its such a cheapshot to pull graphicswise. Either you go full cartoony like TF2 or even toon/cellshading, or you keep it regular. You dont take a regular game and slap on some cheap outlines because someone in the design meeting is a complete loon.

Well, I like it.

Also, I'll take anything over the gray/brown "realism" that is still the default for some reason.

Using linework rather than value to show form change is pretty common in graphic design. I think they are just trying to highlight the cartoon aspects of the game.

It doesn't bother me much either way. Certainly the game looks fine with the outlining. It would probably look fine without it as well.

• 2 weeks later...

They are definitely going for the cartoon look.

Everything I've seen so far has me interested. Still need more details though. Especially on the rpg side of things.

Are there romances?

They do have a portable turret and a gazillion guns, though...

A sweeping romantic epic!

AT least by American standards.

I'm hoping they'll have annoying flightless elfs.

Edited by CrashGirl