Other MMOs

alanschu

EDIT: Seems like my link from his is broken too. Looks like some technical difficulties on there part. Surely a glowing first impression haha.

You should be able to get the 10 day free trial directly from the website.

Edited by alanschu

I can't imagine that an MMORPG would have its recruiting server down for any length of time. I'll wait a bit and see if it doesn't come back up.

I'd just say that technically, LOTRO is well run and very stable.

I'd reccommend it for folks who really like quests and story driven adventure.

I guess it'd be hard for any Tolkien-related MMO to stick faithfully to the lore of the creator... 'magic' as in D&D magic would be restricted to the Istari & wielders of the Three, female characters would be restricted to staying at home, etc.

Not to mention that the entire premise of LOTR was that the only hope of vanquishing 'evil' was to destroy the One Ring. Victory by arms was impossible to the numeric superiority of the Enemy & the division among the Free Peoples of the West.

The ending of the words is ALMSIVI.

Thank you for the invite. Sadly, the link in the e-mail does send me to a bum page.

If you can't get it to work then let me know. I can send you a Founder's referral which will get you the 14 day trial and also allow you to sub at $9.99 p/mo instead of the normal $14.99 rate.

Ever played the MMO, Vanguard. I've never played it, but I've heard it's "supposed" to be good.

It's a pretty amazing game, but it is not for everyone. Whereas most MMO's try and disguise the grind and treadmill effect of the genre, Vanguard embraces it full bore. You can create your own boat, but it will take you months to mold each piece and all that.

Still, the scope of the game is epic. Huge world, with tons to do.

Okay, I'm going to start up my account for no other reason that no grief you guys. As Hurl knows, I'm a bit of a flake in that I want to get together but I tend not to play but, damn it! This. time. I. WILL! :sorcerer: Anyhow, if I'm going to pay for the service, I'm damn well going to use it.

I only ever read the Vampire books, so I don't know if there's any real balance or not, but I doubt they even tried.
From what I remember, vampires, hunters and (oddly enough) demons were somewhat balanced, with hunters coming out a bit short usually. But Garou and especially the freaking mages... add to that that the mages' thing was "bending reality" as opposed to fixed, codified spells, so I think it would be hard to capture that in a game well. A mess if they tried to have all of them in the same game. Read: awesome fun.

I hate the nWoD.

Warewolves and Mages were EXTREMELY powerful in OWoD. Mages of the highest order could mop the floor with antediluvians pretty easily (they could turn the sky to flames, transmute flesh to gold. Mages operated by warping reality and if they were warping it HARD they'd just have a more difficult time than something simple.)

That said, Champions seems to be pretty well designed, but I'm afraid that it just doesn't capture people. I think it's because the powers feel non interactive. some of them you just hit and then stand around while it builds your momentum (or drains it for higher damage). Admittedly I'm still pretty early in the game.

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

I'm back home, so I've been playing LotRO a bit. My new house can only get satellite internet, so my latency is up in the 1500 range. Basically I do something, and I wait about a second and a half before it happens. Not unplayable, but a bit annoying.

I'll be around though, so hopefully I'll catch up with y'all.

I'm back home, so I've been playing LotRO a bit. My new house can only get satellite internet, so my latency is up in the 1500 range. Basically I do something, and I wait about a second and a half before it happens. Not unplayable, but a bit annoying.

I'll be around though, so hopefully I'll catch up with y'all.

Wow that sucks. I used to have Satellite internet about 7 years ago back when I played Dark Age of Camelot. Not fun. I actually went back to Dial-up just for the lower latency.

Ever played the MMO, Vanguard. I've never played it, but I've heard it's "supposed" to be good.

It's a pretty amazing game, but it is not for everyone. Whereas most MMO's try and disguise the grind and treadmill effect of the genre, Vanguard embraces it full bore. You can create your own boat, but it will take you months to mold each piece and all that.

I tried it out but just couldn't get into it. When I tire of Lotro I may give Everquest 2 a shot. I've heard they've done alot of good things to make it better.

I tried it out but just couldn't get into it. When I tire of Lotro I may give Everquest 2 a shot. I've heard they've done alot of good things to make it better.

Vanguard really should have been Everquest 2. I'm back playing EQ 2 and having fun again soloing mostly.

Give EVE a go!

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

I enjoyed EVE at first, but I found the economy and universe to be a bit too hardcore haha.

I also played it by myself.

Ah yeah, EVE solo play isn't impossible (I got myself into a Ferox and almost into a Rokh that way) but it's really..lonely. Heh, there's a lot to do though, took up scanning recently and found neat wormholes.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

• 2 weeks later...

I have just lost what little faith in humanity remained after that book and movie... Mainly because the game is being made by unpaid volunteers. :)

Edited by Deadly_Nightshade

"Geez. It's like we lost some sort of bet and ended up saddled with a bunch of terrible new posters on this forum."

-Hurlshot