New Mechwarrior

Oner

A few interesting things to note from the trailer that's linked.

It's set in 3015, no clans here. Clan's didn't appear until around 3050. I think this is set around the fourth succession war. And it looks like you're going up against House Kurita.

What this means gameplay wise is that you won't have Ferro-Fib armor, duel heat sinks, ER/Pulse lasers, or Modular weapons. Also the fusion core is gonna be lower output. So overall you're going to have a lot less in the way of weapons and armor per ton you're used to.

As to the reboot, they probably did that because the books that FASA put out for the series ended up getting to large scale and confusing that they ended up with a 50 year jump to the "dark age" where true battlemechs are practically outlawed, and most of the inner sphere is held by one big group. I personally HATED the new direction because it just felt like it wasn't staying true to battletechs feel (internal politics often leading to open conflict).

Anyway, in the video I was kinda wondering why on earth the warhammer was using the machine guns when battling the Atlas.... MACHINE GUNS! I mean those suckers are only useful against friggin infantry. Of course if I remember the standard loadout for a Warhammer he's only really got two PPC's and an SRM package.

Oh, on the homing missiles thing, LRMs and SRMs are both dumbfire. SRMs have a "streak" version which are lock on, but LRM's are always going to be dumbfire, unless you hit the guy with a Narc which will cause all missiles in the area to home in on your target (even his own... which leads to much merryment).

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

*Knowledge based on MW 4*

They just use different types of 'Mechs. My favorite for instance, the Timber Wolf (aka Mad Cat) is a Clan 'Mech. Clans also introduced the omni hard points - meaning that any given weapon type (missile, laser, etc) could be fitted on that weapon hard point instead of just one.

And Clans also use modified weapons (usually lighter/stronger/longer ranged, with greater heat generation as a drawback).

Tell me if I'm wrong, I'd never say no to learning extra BT lore.

Edited by Oner

I'm not very Battletech savvy, so can someone please explain to me what the difference between Clan mechs and Inner-Sphere mechs are?

Ok, Battletech 101, class is in session.

Battletech is a fictional extension of our world, Terra=earth. Basically in the far future there was the starleague and humanity was happy and everything was fine, until a guy by the name of Stefan Amaris decided to Usurp the crown of the First Lord of Star League (Star League was run by one first lord, and then several high lords) this generated a civil war, but the Military Commander of the Star League Defense Force Alexandr Kerensky didn't want to get involved and instead took ALL the SLDF forces outside of innersphere space. Both groups then promptly beat the tar out of themselves into a technological dark age. The SLDF ended up unifying first, and reorganized itself into the Clans, while the Sphere ended up putting itself into a equilibrium of animosity (kinda how our world is today). and the Clans ended up getting a technological advantage because they had more people working towards the same goal.

SO Because of the tech advantage, clan mechs are faster, lighter, run cooler, and have better weapons than the inner sphere counterparts. But the clans battle tactics and psycology doesn't work very well against the inner sphere. (for example, the clans always expect the enemy to give exact numbers on who's defending or attacking, and then expect them to play by a specific set of rules designed to minimize the damage to society that the war generates, of course the inner sphere's idea of war is "Kick em as hard and as fast as you can, fight as dirty as you can, and always use every advantage you can").

http://kerensky.ultraforce.org/ A VERY good battletech archive of the sphere and how everything works up until the reboot of the books.

Watch the 1990s cartoon series.

Its awesome for its time for its believable mature plot without involving G.I Joes/Captain Planet super hero moments. Furthermore its one of the first cartoon that utilizes 3D graphics to illustrate the mech combats.

Episode one in youtube

Lots of background information for something that is mostly just restricted to plain mech fights.

Well it originally came from a tabletop game, then they made the book series to introduce and explain changes. Basically saying it's just mech fights is like saying warhammer is JUST battles.

Personally its my favourite cartoon and its a pity it never got a second season. The series' ending is notable for the twist that

its not exactly a happy ending at all despite the 'good' guys able to win back the planet.

spoiler spoiler spoiler. Don't read it if anyone wishes to watch the entire series.

The Trial of Combat defining moment between the protagonist and the antagonist was fought on the condition that the clans would leave Sommerset if they lost. The battle was fought and eventually the protagonist won. The Clanners uphold their oathe and did leave the planet, but with the entire population with them.

So the Inner Sphere merely won an empty battle as all the efforts fighting in retaking the planet ended up with its population still held prisoners and hostages by the clan.

Cheeky bastards.

Lots of background information for something that is mostly just restricted to plain mech fights.

Well it originally came from a tabletop game, then they made the book series to introduce and explain changes. Basically saying it's just mech fights is like saying warhammer is JUST battles.

Isn't it? I haven't seen a Warhammer game that isn't about annihilating enemies.

Isn't it? I haven't seen a Warhammer game that isn't about annihilating enemies.

And yet there is so much background information to explain why people are annihilating one another.

Killing people or nuking giant ass robots without an awesome intriguing setting makes the battles difficult to be immersive mmm? Especially much so for a tabletop game which uses its setting to sell its brand otherwise its very unappealing.

Edited by Zoma

Well it helps fill in for the "why we fight" aspect.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

And yet there is so much background information to explain why people are annihilating one another.

Which is mostly stupid stuff, written by nerds that never became adult.

I'm not a 5 year old boy anymore that gets excited about silly sourcebooks, merchandising and big plastic swords.

From MW5, I expect a hardcore simulation. I want to sweat and curse when I fight a mech, not just press buttons until it's down.

Which is mostly stupid stuff, written by nerds that never became adult.

I'm not a 5 year old boy anymore that gets excited about silly sourcebooks, merchandising and big plastic swords.

Polite answer:

Those nerds try to enrich their setting. And if you ever read a source book for any game, you would know that the lore is extra, which you can happily ignore if you want to, and focus on the game

Rude answer:

Instead you're a 5 year old who whines 'cause someone writes all that "useless" stuff to enrich their setting. You're not forced to buy, and not forced to read the things you don't care about. And you don't care, right? So what's the problem? Talking down other people's hobbies and work.

Take your pick.

From MW5, I expect a hardcore simulation. I want to sweat and curse when I fight a mech, not just press buttons until it's down.

Expect disappointment.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

For those interested, the very first Mechwarrior is abandonware: Link

you'd think Mech 2 would be by now. given it came out in what '92?

And so it is... on CNET no less!

http://download.cnet.com/MechWarrior-2/300...4-10001626.html

Jesus... I still remember the codes

Blorb

Coldmeiser

UAC

username Freebirthtoad gives you all missions unlocked

Username Enzo gives you access to the Elemental and tarantula mechs...

Edited by Calax

Heh, they've got a Mechwarrior 3 picture there instead of Mechwarrior 2. Never played Mechwarrior 2, but I love Mechwarrior 3. I used to love sitting on a ridge 1km away and sniping the legs off running mechs in the campaign.

"Returning to base!"

*Mech's leg disappears in a flash of blue and the mech slams head first into the ground*

"OH MY GOD! We're under attack!"

"I don't have a visual and there is nothing on my radar, wait I've got a-"

*Second mech's ****pit is vaporized*

"Warning. Heat spike detected. Shutting down."

"The price you pay for Alpha Striking with 5 ER PPCs..."

Heh, they've got a Mechwarrior 3 picture there instead of Mechwarrior 2. Never played Mechwarrior 2, but I love Mechwarrior 3. I used to love sitting on a ridge 1km away and sniping the legs off running mechs in the campaign.

"Returning to base!"

*Mech's leg disappears in a flash of blue and the mech slams head first into the ground*

"OH MY GOD! We're under attack!"

"I don't have a visual and there is nothing on my radar, wait I've got a-"

*Second mech's ****pit is vaporized*

"Warning. Heat spike detected. Shutting down."

"The price you pay for Alpha Striking with 5 ER PPCs..."

Mech 2 is significantly different from 3.

Anyway, in the video I was kinda wondering why on earth the warhammer was using the machine guns when battling the Atlas.... MACHINE GUNS! I mean those suckers are only useful against friggin infantry. Of course if I remember the standard loadout for a Warhammer he's only really got two PPC's and an SRM package.

The dev probably just chose that because it looks cool to see a bunch of impact particles sparking off of the Atlas and an autocannon might tear it to shreds.