New Mechwarrior

Oner

Mechwarrior Reveal Trailer

By the same guys who made the old Mechwarrior games. Not sure why it's a series reboot, not that it matters.

Anyway, trailer looks awesome. Mech's seem to break easier, the graphics are beautiful (a bit weird for my eyes, since their used to MW 4).

http://pc.ign.com/articles/100/1002164p1.html

Haven't had time to read it all, but:

You see the small Jenner landing on top of the roof showing how you could use that, but also how that weight class of mech was just at the limit of what that building might support. As you see the windows pop out and it doesn't take a lot of damage before the building crumbles. But just before that, there's all the different aspects. You can't just hit the "find nearest target" key and cycle through enemies in the nearby vicinity; you've got to find that information first. So we just demonstrated one method of many that the player will need to find out where those enemy targets are, and one way might be with a remote drone. Or, like Jordan said, another way might be a great use of all the different classes of mechs.

So, in your lance, you're going to want a light scout mech, and he'll go out there and find out where they are and tag them. With the buildings, you can take cover and if you lose your enemies in the buildings, they'll lose you as a target. All those things that you couldn't do before

Hadescopy.jpg

(Approved by Fio, so feel free to use it)

Hopefully it won't be a dumbed down, Quake-with-mechs game.

Edited by Malcador

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Pft, in this era of gaming - it pays to be negative. Less chance of disappointment that way. ;)

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Don't get me wrong, I get the sense this won't be too dumbed down or simplified if you prefer that euphemism :D Sucks that you play as a Davion not a clanner or the DC

Hopefully it won't be a dumbed down, Quake-with-mechs game.

Aren't all mechwarrior games quake with mechs games?

I'm a big fan of them. Loved Mechwarrior 2 (my first 640*480 computer game), Mechwarrior 3 and even MEch COmmander.

But they are what they are. You drive around a huge metal machine and blow the crap out of things.

Notice how I can belittle your beliefs without calling you names. It's a useful skill to have particularly where you aren't allowed to call people names. It's a mistake to get too drawn in/worked up. I mean it's not life or death, it's just two guys posting their thoughts on a message board. If it were personal or face to face all the usual restraints would be in place, and we would never have reached this place in the first place. Try to remember that.

Sort of, you still have to be concerned about heat, ammo explosions, weapon jams. I really should play MW2 again, heh.

Sort of, you still have to be concerned about heat, ammo explosions, weapon jams. I really should play MW2 again, heh.

True. There's definitely some thought to loadout. Long range vs short range, projectiles vs missiles vs energy. ALso the type of mech you use. Light vs heavy, Clan vs SPhere

The last couple mission in MW 2 I just ran using a Dire Wolf and UAC20s. Not much ammo to play with but you don't need much as long as you don't miss.

I was hoping we'd see another mech game eventually. The hew graphiocs power of current systems should be a nice addition to realize the gameworlds and potential awesome fights over huge distances.

Notice how I can belittle your beliefs without calling you names. It's a useful skill to have particularly where you aren't allowed to call people names. It's a mistake to get too drawn in/worked up. I mean it's not life or death, it's just two guys posting their thoughts on a message board. If it were personal or face to face all the usual restraints would be in place, and we would never have reached this place in the first place. Try to remember that.

Looks ****ing awesome. Never played a MW game before, but I'm keeping an eye on this. Thanks for the heads up man!

COOP COOP COOP COOP COOP COOP COOP COOP COOP COOP

- When he is best, he is a little worse than a man, and when he is worst, he is little better than a beast.

Pft, in this era of gaming - it pays to be negative. Less chance of disappointment that way.

I believe you can be negative but still be excited and wait eagerly for a game :- For example here the video looked a lot a "quake-with-mech", especially the way you just aimed at your opponent, no radar, no lock-system for you missiles, etc.

If I'm wrong, say it. I really played only a little of Mechwarrior 3 after all!

Pft, in this era of gaming - it pays to be negative. Less chance of disappointment that way.

I believe you can be negative but still be excited and wait eagerly for a game :- For example here the video looked a lot a "quake-with-mech", especially the way you just aimed at your opponent, no radar, no lock-system for you missiles, etc.

If I'm wrong, say it. I really played only a little of Mechwarrior 3 after all!

Absolutely, the HUD stuff that's there is very kind of first pass – it isn't meant to be fully reflective of how the game system would totally report data.

Dunno what kinda missiles the pilot used, but there are a few types without lock-on.

Edited by Oner

But that wasn't ingame graphics.

As far as I can tell, it was. Unreal Engine 3 and all.

NO it wasn't. There were no jaggies, and the lighting was too perfect. This was prerendered stuff.

Nah, Ive worked alot in U3 and that is definently in-engine stuff. Some effects might have been composited in afterwards, but that is not a pre-render. You can see its mid-poly ingame models too, not fancy hires film stuff.

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

Dunno what kinda missiles the pilot used, but there are a few types without lock-on.

IIRC The standard short range and long range missiles for both sphere and clan are dumbfire. The radar locking missiles take more space and have fewer rounds per space.

Nah, Ive worked alot in U3 and that is definently in-engine stuff. Some effects might have been composited in afterwards, but that is not a pre-render. You can see its mid-poly ingame models too, not fancy hires film stuff.

Thank you for my confirmation. There was, after all, prerendered stuff like the big explosion at the end. Some of the shadowing was also very advanced, nothing that looks like UE3. Trust me, I've an eye for that. That whole thing was pretty much composed/prerendered.

Edited by Morgoth

Bleh, why play MW4 ? :- I finally found a copy of MW2, from my public library, surprisingly

DOSBox ? :- Quick google turned up a way to get it working.

Edited by Malcador