Baseball!

Guard Dog

I'm pretty excited that Aaron Sorkin was hired to save the Moneyball movie.

"Things are funny...are comedic, because they mix the real with the absurd." - Buzz Aldrin.

"P-O-T-A-T-O-E" - Dan Quayle

I'm pretty excited that Aaron Sorkin was hired to save the Moneyball movie.

I didn't know about that. Thats great news because it would make an interesting movie. Although Brad Pitt as Billy Beane is a stretch.

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

• 2 weeks later...

It figures, Mark Buehrle thows a perfect game, not against the Yankees or Red Sox but against the Rays. I don't know which I hate more, the fact that he did it against my team or the fact that in the 8th I was actually pulling for him to do it.

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

Elitist fans really get my goat.

"If you've never been to Fenway, you're not a real fan."

I live 3000 miles away on the West Coast you farking elitist "anti-bandwagon" sports nuts. So I don't want to spend lots of cash flying and traveling to Fenway. Sue me.

That said...the Red Sox have been having a bad week or two. Hope they punch their way out of it, but regardless...I'm still watching. Painful as it is, I still watch.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

the redbirds just beat up on the best team in the NL (LAD) two games in a row. today's epic match lasted till the bottom of the 15th and pujols came through with the game winning RBI. yay! i can't watch 'em (yeah, yeah, rockies live here, who cares), but i can still root for 'em!

taks

comrade taks... just because.

The Rays got all over KC last night. That was nice to watch.

Boston made the biggest splash at the trade deadline. Picking up Victor Martinez was huge.

Kelverin, are you happy with what the Padres got for Peavy? Seems a little light for a Cy Young quality pitcher to me.

Thomas Sowell

Pirates rookie Andrew McCutchen nailed three homers against the Nats last night. I wonder how much longer until Pittsburg trades him?

Thomas Sowell

are you happy with what the Padres got for Peavy? Seems a little light for a Cy Young quality pitcher to me.

Taken me a few days to calm down enough to answer, cost cutting move plain and simple, the organization should be ashamed of themselves. An embarrassment.

The teams two big trades this year, Peavy and Hairston have netted us ZERO offensive talent, 7 pitchers for 2 players. Concerned about our offense, hard to win if you can't score and I don't see us spending any money on quality free agents next year. It has been somewhat fun this year to see the youngsters (Gwynn, Venable, Blanks, Latos, Cabrera, Richard, Stauffer, Gregerson) play and there might be potential there in a few years but rebuilding is painful, this is not what was promised to the fans if they voted to get the stadium built.

http://jay-mariotti.fanhouse.com/2009/08/0...ittsburgh-mess/

Great rant on the self destruction going on in Pittsburgh. The Marlins have had three big fire sales over the years, two resulted in the utter dismantling of championship teams. Eight years later they are a much stronger and deeper franchise that plays consistently good baseball has hve for several seasons. Sometimes rebuilding is not a bad thing. It saves money and may produce a winner later on. However, if it is only done to save money with no real eye for the future the result is the Pittsburgh Pirates.

Thomas Sowell

Re: Boston ... I think Theo's been drunk for a while. I question some of his trades and decisions...while at the same time understanding. The 2004 caliber team can't last forever and many of them are old and petering out. The next couple years of trying to rebuild a new pennant-capable team will be interesting.

That said....last night was very embarrassing, even past Smoltz. Smoltz should either retire or be put in the bullpen where his obvious lack of shoulder stamina might work out decently. :shrugz:

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

About to go sweat my ass off at the utterly meaningless Nats-D'Backs game. (The Diamondbacks apparently brought the Arizona heat with them. The DC humidity, though, remains.) At least they have Ben's Chili Bowl in the stadium. Mmmm... Chili Half-Smokes...

Edited by Enoch

the rockies-cubs game was pretty good last night. broken bats (john loved that), home runs, stupid errors. the game was a toss-up once the scoring started. the rockies led off with jason marquis, of cubs and cardinals infamy. man he was bad for both of the latter two teams. he wasn't a whole lot better last night. i wanted the rockies to win only because the cardinals are battling the cubs for first in the NL central. oh well.

taks

"Hey we suck but it's always nice to beat a team from NY and one that has what 4x if not more our payroll."

Yeah, but a good portion of that payroll are cripples.

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

fortunately, the rockies and cards both won today. stl is 2 games ahead of the cubs now. looks like stl will be in town the 25th-27th of september. might have to see one of the games.

taks

The Red Sox collapse has been amazing to watch. Unfortunately Tampa is unable to take advantage because the let the Mariners beat the stew out of them last night. How 'bout them Marlins! Three game sweep of the Phillies, now just two game back! Did you know that since their inaugural season the Fish have won the World Series every seven years. The last time was in 2002!

Thomas Sowell

The Red Sox have a slim chance of still making the wild card, but I don't see it being very probable. Not impossible, but...wow, did they have a lot of weirdness. Injuries, weird trades, pitching collapses, offense collapses, etc. I know teams generally do better at home than away, but this year it's been extreme.

Yup...they will be doing a lot of restructuring the next couple years. And that's ok with me. Can't win every season. And I still watch. That's what us masochist fans do...

So funny that Boston and their silly fans (as well as baseball 'experts') claimed that the Red Sox shipping Ramirez was a good things because he was a 'clubhouse poison' and 'evil', and 'destroys team chemistry' yet his new team is kicking butt largely because of him while Boston (while still with a good record) looks (though can't count them completely out yet) to be relinquishing their hold on the division that they had a stranglehood the past few years largely because of Ramirez and his fellow partner Ortiz has seemingly hit a wall without the awesome of Ramirez.

Coincidence? I think not.

Clubhouse poision, my butt.

He makes teams better when he is on their roster and playing. And, when he is not on a team, they are worse. Period.

I'm not sure I'd completely agree that the Dodgers are kicking this years NL butt largely because of Manny. They did pretty darn well at keeping up their record, seemed like, when he was suspended for all that time. Not saying he doesn't make a difference...no one's going to argue that Manny isn't a great offensive player....but the Dodgers just might have had a shot this year even w/out him. Sometimes teams just seem to gel one year.

I also don't think Ortiz' decline has anything to do w/Manny, unless it's a 'roid connection, hahaha.

In terms of clubhouse poison...well...he was poison for Boston because he didn't want to be in Boston anymore and kicked up a ruckus. If he's on a team he wants to be on, he's not going to behave in the same childish manner (to try to incite a trade), and thus won't be poison for that team he's favoring, right? Right.

There's ninny fans for every team, who like to say silly stuff...(see my 'elitist fan' gripe post a bit above). Try not to be one yourself. :ermm:

Edited by LadyCrimson

the cardinals are extending their lead over chicago. 3 games now, and we're 12 games over .500!

this from the team that was only expected to win 70 last year (ended up over .500) and 2nd/3rd this year. carp plays again wednesday, btw. he's 11-3 with a 2.26 ERA in spite of missing quite a bit of the season from an injury.

experts my ass...

taks

"but the Dodgers just might have had a shot this year even w/out him. Sometimes teams just seem to gel one year."

They're gelling because of Ramirez. They were a so-so team before he came there, and just missed reahcing the WS last season. And, continued that hotness this seaosn. And, yeah, they played solid even when he was suspended, but I'd say (and Dodger players agree) that's alrgely because of the go boost he gives them. They *believe* they are a great team. He elevated them all.

"In terms of clubhouse poison...well...he was poison for Boston because he didn't want to be in Boston anymore and kicked up a ruckus."

Poison? Was he poison when they won the WS the seaosn before? Or when they won it while he won MVP? And, how well did they defend their WS last season without him? Oh yeah, NOT TOO WELL. Meanwhile, he led his new team - once again - to the brink of a WS when they had no business even being in the playoffs.

The only poison in Boston was management who are scumbag pieces of crap along with their arrogant, judgemental, retarded, evil, pathetic, traitorous 'fans'. Those are the guys who are poisonous. They treated Ramirez so poorly, I dont blame him for wanting out. Heck, Ortiz got 'caught' in a drug scandal this season and barely a beep about it yet Boston fans were ALL OVER Ramirez when he got caught for taking a 'legal' drug. No doubt if Ramirez was a red Sox this season and was cuaght like Ortiz he'd be labeled poison, once again.

"I also don't think Ortiz' decline has anything to do w/Manny"

It has EVERYTHING to do with Manny. Ortiz + Manny = Awesome Oriz... Ortiz - Manny = Blaisse. Simple math.