Baseball!

Guard Dog

Ok I lied in the thread title. It's really the second best game after American football (College and Pro). But is is certainly worthy of a thread of it's own.

So the 2009 season is half way over. The AL East is an absolute dog fight, as expected. However, we were expecting a three way race but a suprisingly resurgent Toronto Blue Jays club has made it a four way race.

The Tigers found their mojo and are atop the AL central but the Sox have won seven in a row and nine of the last then and are gaining ground fast. The twins are in a slow fade that even Joe Mauer can't pull them out of (although he is in a position to hit .400 on the season).

In the AL West Texas and the Angels are slugging it out with Seattle and Oakland just watching from afar.

In the NL East the Mets, Marlins, Phillies, and Braves struggle to see how mediocre a division winner can be.

In the NL Central, Pujols is powering the Cards run to the pennant with the Brewers (who finally have a real pitching staff) hard on their heels. The great choking sound you hear? Yep it's the Cubs.

And in the NL west the Dogers have Manny back and more importantly they have a seven game lead over the Giants (who I though would be eliminated from the playoffs by now). Adrian Gonzalez is having a so so year, Peavy is wishing he was traded, and Kelverin is crying as the Padres struggle. However, all is not lost, The D-Backs are blocking the cellar door.

And last but not least my nephew is now playing for the Greenville Astros! Go 'Stros!

Love base baseball? Hate it? Got something to say one way or another? Discuss!

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

I thought even Americans found baseball boring.

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

I thought even Americans found baseball boring.

Heck put a handful of Americans in a room and you'd have a hard time getting them all to agree that rain is wet. But I like baseball.

Edited by Guard Dog

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

Yeah, it was just a silly jab, and not worthy of a serious response. >_

Heja Sverige!!

Sorry Pidesco, I woke up in a bad mood and it just got worse as the day goes on. I lost my sense of humor aroud here somewhere. You're cool.

Thomas Sowell

I'm really enjoying following the Giants right now, they've got some great young players. I didn't think they'd be anywhere near a playoff bid this season, either. I'm not a huge fan of the sport, I really only like to watch the last couple innings of games, but since I started playing MLB 09 The Show, I've really gotten more interested in the details of the game.

Nah, I was asking for the snarky response.

Heja Sverige!!

Baseball truly the second best sport around. To those that don't get it.....well you just don't get it.

The manny experience rolled into town last night, the pAAAdres had about their 3rd or 4th sellout this year, mostly bandwagon smelLA fans that made the trip.

Since the San Diego organization has alienated the fanbase and the joke of a franchise continues to show their incompetence every step of the way they deserve the fate that awaits them, our owner group can't change quick enough then again it's no guarantee they will do anything different - adding quality free agents not "has-beens or never-were's from dumpster diving, improving the farm system, paying quality draftees, raising the payroll which currently sits at 40 million (Half, or more than that is currently on the DL Peavy, Giles, young) we were promised the the payroll would be in the 70+ million, we would be in the hunt for quality free agents once the construction for the new park was voted on

Whatever I have been following this organization since I can remember (1969) through high's and lows (mostly lows) and will continue to do so, but I am really looking forward to the NFL this year

Too many injuries are killing my Mets. Nealry season over for us. Thank god, the rest of our division isn't that good either. L0L

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

I once asked the same thing about cricket down here and almost got lynched :)

It's one of them cultural differences. The movie "Major League" with Charlie Sheen and Tom Berenger is as far as my knowledge of baseball goes. Maybe I'll learn a thing or two here :p

Edited by Gorth

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

I once asked the same thing about cricket down here and almost got lynched :p

test cricket - boring as hell :)

one dayers aren't too bad though

when your mind works against you - fight back with substance abuse!

Just watched the Marlins beat the Pirates to take that series 2-1. Did you know that the Marlins have won the world series every six years since their inception. The last time was in 2003. I'd hate to see that streak end. Go Fish!

Thomas Sowell

Lol The pAAAdres just traded our second best offensive (dead last in the majors runs scored) threat for 3 minor league pitchers.

Outfielder Scott Hairston was traded to the Oakland A's after Sunday's 7-6 loss in 13 innings to the Dodgers for two Minor League pitchers, right-handers Ryan Webb and Craig Italiano as well as a player to be named, also a pitcher.

In Sweden we play 'br

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

baseball is fun to play, but almost as boring to watch as golf.

The area between the balls and the butt is a hotbed of terrorist activity.

Devastatorsig.jpg

There are two genuinely American sports: baseball and American football. Both allows you to be fat and still successful. Is that a sign?

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

Oh, I don't know. Basketball is an American sport as well and they're a pretty lean bunch. Football players might look fat, but they're extremely conditioned and they can take a huge amount of punishment. Hell, even baseball players can't be fat playing in most positions.

However, I can't be snarky with you, bro. I find baseball boring as hell. Except when I watch it with my dad. Then it's cool just to shoot the breeze with the ol' guy!

I find baseball boring as hell. Except when I watch it with my dad. Then it's cool just to shoot the breeze with the ol' guy!

I think that is one of the appeals of the game. It does have a slower pace but that allows for conversation. It also lends itself to comparing eras. For example if a 28 year old Mickey Mantle were placed on the Yankees today he would still be a great player, where in Hockey for example if a 28 year old Gordie Howe were placed on the Red Wings today he'd barely make the third line. Jim Thorpe was one of the best football players in history (for his era). He would have no shot of making an NFL team today. Baseball is so much more connected to it's history than any other sport.

It takes a real fan to watch a game alone. Heck I am a fan and more often than not I catch the games on my XM radio while working on other things. But like you said, watching a game with another fan, that is fun.

Thomas Sowell

God knows how we never get tired of hearing people on this board complain about and insult America.

Anywho. SI.com is reporting that the Pirates are about to trade Freddy Sanchez and Adam LaRoache to the Giants for prospects. Sanchez would be an immediate help to SF but I'm not sure LaRoache is much of an upgrade over Ishikawa. The funny thing is, SF could make a serious run with their pitching and these two might provide just enough offense to matter.

Edited by Guard Dog

Thomas Sowell

It's good to see bochy out of SD with a organization that intends to win, and if they beat the dodgers and take the division that's a bonus.

God knows how we never get tired of hearing people on this board complain about and insult America.

Jealousy is the ugliest of human emotions.

Jealousy;

an emotion and typically refers to the negative thoughts and feelings of insecurity, fear, and anxiety

To be fair, compared to my favorite sport Formula 1, baseball is probably quite entertaining. As far as common man is concerned anyway. I personally think things like a pull-rod based rear suspension and fuel weight strategy is quite exciting, but none of my friends do.

So did anyone complain about how Soccer is the real Football yet?

Football is football, soccer is the name the yankee imperialist pigdogs came up with.

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

:)

Thomas Sowell

"Football is football, soccer is the name the yankee imperialist pigdogs came up with."

Soccer is soccer, and it is possibly the only team sport more boring to watch than baseball. In fact, it is the one case that can be sued to argue that the majority is often ver, veryw rong. Why is it so popular again? gAH.

As for baseball, no doubt, it isn't the most exciting sport to watch; but it has its moments. Soccer never. Soccer never changes.

P.S. Football does use a ball, and you do use your feet. Anyone claiming otherwise is either lying or ignorant.

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.