Baseball!

Guard Dog

Yankees clinched. I forget who said this but: "Cheering for the Yankees is like rooting for the house in Blackjack."

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

Good article about the manager situation in Houston.

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/bb/6632313.html

I remember the contrasts between the 97 Marlins and the 02 Marlins. The 97 bunch hated each other are were less than cordial with the fans. It was all business and no fun. In 02 it was all young guys, the mood around the clubhouse was light, you could tell the difference on the field. It was much easier to cheer for those guys.

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

they clinched a spot, but not their division yet. i guess that means if boston comes from behind and overtakes the yanks for first in the AL East (which is unlikely), then the yanks are at least guaranteed the wild card. interesting how that all plays out...

personally, i miss the days of two divisions, one playoff for the pennant.

taks

comrade taks... just because.

personally, i miss the days of two divisions, one playoff for the pennant.

taks

I actually disagree with you on that one. I think the wildcards have been a real boon to the sport. If I were to get rid of anything is would be the DH.

On that note, what does everyone think of the DH? If you like baseball you gotta have an opinion on that one.

Epic win by the fish last night, victimizing Lidge yet again. Lidge had blown five saves vs the fish this year.

Thomas Sowell

I love how teams have to work the lineup when they don't have a DH, so I support getting rid of it. I love the Wild Card. It's already a pretty small postseason, you have a lot of teams competing and only 8 get in, and then the first round is rather fast with a best of 5. As a hockey fan I find it downright odd.

I actually disagree with you on that one. I think the wildcards have been a real boon to the sport.

can't stand 'em. boon to the sport or no, it made baseball "easy," and, more importantly, just like every other sport. besides, since the NL has two more teams than the AL, it is not exactly fair, either.

If I were to get rid of anything is would be the DH.

that, too.

taks

"it made baseball "easy," "

No it doesn't. It does everything but.

That's like saying the NHL playoffs are 'easy' when they aren't. More teams in the playoffs just means more excitement for more teams, and fans. And, more entertaining games to watch. They're a boon to the sport. I know I wouldn't weep if baseball went to a 'sweet 16' format. Screw the 'traditionalists' who'd rather go back in ancient times which is extremely passe.

As for the DH, I'm neutral towards it. I couldn't care one way or the other. I'm slightly in favor of pitchers batting though just for fun.

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

um, if more teams get in, then it's easier to get to the playoffs (and potentially voiding the results of the regular season).

prior to the divisional playoffs, you either won your division or watched the playoffs from the stands. now, not only are there THREE divisional winners, there's one rogue that didn't even have to win his division. that's sort of the definition of "easier."

and, for the record, hockey's playoff system is ridiculous, too and i've never liked it, either. at least, best of seven for every series makes an already long season almost unbearable.

taks

Edited by taks

"thus voiding the results of the regular season."

No, it doesn't. It does anything but as the best teams still make it. I don't know how one can say it's silly to allow teams that win 90 games in as being wrong. Just because you lose the division by exactly one game because the division winne rhappen to beat a crappy opponent once more than you is what is silly. They should man up, and beat YOU manno a manno now in a cowardly way. Seriosuly, how could you say it be legit not to have a team like Boston in the playoffs? Gah.

"best of seven for every series makes an already long season almost unbearable."

Not for REAL hockey fans. Hockey could go for 12 months, and I'd be happy. Just like any real hockey fan. Are you a real hockey fan? Or a faker?

Edited by Volourn

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

I like the wild card, hate the DH and the American league brand of baseball. Games should not last 4 hours.

Hockey playoffs are the best of any sport even my beloved football, now the regular season lasts too long however....I am all for 6 months of regular season hockey (during the NFL) and 6 months playoff hockey when there is no football :thumbsup:

Padres beat the Rocks 5-4. Woohoo, everyone inches closer.

Thomas Sowell

Padres beat the Rocks 5-4. Woohoo, everyone inches closer.

Took 2 out of 3 and was this close to tying/going ahead in the 9th the game we lost 11-10. It's surprising how we have always struggled against the rockies. The bad part about us playing well lately is that management will be content with what we have and not try to spend money on the roster to improve.

Edited by Kelverin

On pins and needles about this weekend Boston/NY series, which is about to start. Obviously I'm rooting for Boston but mostly, I'm anticipating the rivalry to produce it's usual high-octane gameplay which drives fans of both teams to a frenzy, even if there were no pennant on the line.

Lester has a good shot tonight, but Dice-K and Byrd are a lot more iffy. We shall see. *dancing from foot to foot in anticipation of screaming joy or crushing pain*

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

i don't need any pins and needles with a magic number of 1 and 10 games to play. this is a rare feeling with st. louis teams (well, lately at least). of course, they're IN TOWN right now so i may have to hop on a bus to denver (well, my car) to watch them tomorrow or sunday... hmmm.

taks

No no no...never mind the score/pennant race...Lester gets hit right in the knee by a line drive. Rolls around the mound awhile, barely limps off the field.

No no no....be ok.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

The Rocks and Giants keep losing and now we have a real race with a suddenly resurgent Atlanta club. By the way, nice job Fish losing 2 of 3 to the Mets at home. Oh and great job Leo Nunez for walking the bases loaded and then walking in the tying run after going into the 9th with a 1 run lead. Then giving up the game winning single. Hard to top that outing. Ironic actually, the Fish knocked the Mets out of contention last year, this year they did it to us.

Rays may not finish above .500. What a disappointment.

Keep ypur eye on the AL Central, Tigers and Twins are going down to the wire.

Thomas Sowell

Well, Lester seems to be largely ok...nothing serious. Phew.

But it appears my fear of Boston being unable to beat NY at this time was proven accurate. I shall now hope that either NY manages to get eliminated in the playoffs before Boston has to face them, or that Boston will become "hot" at the right moment.

I had the Tigers-Twins game on my computer. Epic game, what an ending. Definitely catch the second game tonight on my XM.

Thomas Sowell

I know Boston clinched the wildcard, but tonight's game...about halfway through I decided if Tito didn't care about winning, then I didn't care about watching. But poor Wake. Hope that surgery works and he can play one more year to maybe achieve some milestones before retiring.