Game Informer and Revolvers

Okay...Game Informer had an article about this game, which is how I know about it. I love the idea....experience points, upgrades, freedom of choice, deciding how I go through the game...all awesome. But I am something of a revolver enthusiast and I also would really, reaally like some revolvers in this game. I was overjoyed to see that a female character in one of the pictures in Game Informer magazine holding a revolver. Quick question: Is it a weapon that only appears in cutscenes, or can we carry it? Also, are there other revolvers in the game? I would prefer some variety, like being able to choose between .357, .44, and more like maybe .454 casull or even the big .500 S&W, as well as various barrel lengths.

So questions...

A) Do you think the weapon was just a cutscene only/enemy only, or that we can carry it?

B) What weapons are you looking forward to? (Please don't say Desert Eagle, it's just a target shooting/hunting pistol. It's simply not reliable enough for life and death situations.If you don't believe me, check out this site: http://www.zvis.com/dep/articles/depdef.shtml )

Also, if someone can give me confirmation on taht revolver, I am definitely buying this game. Spec Ops in real life sometimes choose to carry .357 magnum revolvers after all.

B) What weapons are you looking forward to? (Please don't say Desert Eagle, it's just a target shooting/hunting pistol. It's simply not reliable enough for life and death situations.If you don't believe me, check out this site: http://www.zvis.com/dep/articles/depdef.shtml )

*cough* Video Game *cough*

But to answer your question, mostly interested in pistols and assault rifles. And shotguns are always fun. Don't like submachine guns though. No specific preference so far.

Dude, you are going off the deep end here. This isn't an Eastern European tactical combat simulator. It's a fun spy game with crazy spy stuff and movie weapons.

Also, the game had unlimited ammo not too long ago, I'd be happy if the guns kill people, not if their caliber is correct or whether you can replace the trigger group to make it shoot faster.

Dude, you are going off the deep end here. This isn't an Eastern European tactical combat simulator. It's a fun spy game with crazy spy stuff and movie weapons.

Then its a given there will be revolvers, and they'll probably be better than most other pistols for no reason.

"Alright, I've been thinking. When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade - make life take the lemons back! Get mad! I don't want your damn lemons, what am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life's manager. Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons. Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! With the lemons. I'm going to to get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that burns your house down!"

Then its a given there will be revolvers, and they'll probably be better than most other pistols for no reason.

Half-Life confirms this.

Now I want to dual wield the grenade launchers with the revolver-style magazines :)

Edited by Purkake

B) What weapons are you looking forward to? (Please don't say Desert Eagle, it's just a target shooting/hunting pistol. It's simply not reliable enough for life and death situations.If you don't believe me, check out this site: http://www.zvis.com/dep/articles/depdef.shtml
Let's see if I get you. So you don't want crazy stuff like DEagles, but .500 S&W handcannons are fine, right?

Oookay.

Revolvers are THE russian mafia-style gun, so I'd expect to see them in the game. Not the weapon of choice I'd expect for an undercover intelligence operative, though.

- When he is best, he is a little worse than a man, and when he is worst, he is little better than a beast.

B) What weapons are you looking forward to? (Please don't say Desert Eagle, it's just a target shooting/hunting pistol. It's simply not reliable enough for life and death situations.If you don't believe me, check out this site: http://www.zvis.com/dep/articles/depdef.shtml

Gotta love an article that starts out with "I'm not qualified in any specific way to make the general assertions I'm about to." I also think he's flat-out wrong to condemn revolvers as a SD/combat weapon. I'd imagine that one of the reasons (as you mention) some specops carry revolvers is because they don't jam. Since there is no feeding mechanism (the rounds remain locked in place until fired), there can be no feeding errors. The article isn't bad, it's just a very strongly-worded opinion piece from somebody who gives us no compelling reason to trust his opinion.

But I'm way off topic, as usual.

I'm a pistol fan through and through. The more variety we have in that regard the better. I don't mind if there are wildly impractical target/hunting handguns, so long as the practical ones are at least equally effective (preferably moreso).

I tend to think of shotguns and ARs as more utilitarian than stylish, so I'm not quite as picky about variety there. Also, a vast number of ARs out there are based on the same few platforms anyway. As for SMGs, well, they pretty much killed it for me when they made them dual-wield, so I don't really have a preference.

you could dual wield the klobb in goldeneye N64. that was about the most fun a person could have with smg's.

I should know. I am one.

Sub-Machine-Guy

:banghead:

Killing is kind of like playin' a basketball game. I am there. and the other player is there. and it's just the two of us. and I put the other player's body in my van. and I am the winner. - Nice Pete.

Revolvers are old fashioned and inpractical. I doubt a spy would use such a thing these days.

Spec Ops units (Such as Navy SEALS members) in REAL LIFE today occasionally use .357 magnum revolvers, for the reason a poster above listed.

As to the .500 magnum handcannon: It could at least be practical as a psuedo "sniper rifle" -a backup in case your main long range gun fails or if your longgun just happens to be a shotgun loaded with shot, and you want an easy to carry, relatively small long range gun for backup. It could be practical for really, really long range combat. A desert eagle by contrast is simply not a good choice for a life or death situation.

Anyways: I own an 8 3/8 inch S&W .500, and I know I wouldn't use it for short OR Medium range combat. But if I was going to be in a long range shootout, I might carry it as a backup to my rifle, in case my rifle gets damaged by enemy fire which fails to penetrate my vest or something.

Edited by Revolverhawk

Gotta love an article that starts out with "I'm not qualified in any specific way to make the general assertions I'm about to." I also think he's flat-out wrong to condemn revolvers as a SD/combat weapon. I'd imagine that one of the reasons (as you mention) some specops carry revolvers is because they don't jam. Since there is no feeding mechanism (the rounds remain locked in place until fired), there can be no feeding errors. The article isn't bad, it's just a very strongly-worded opinion piece from somebody who gives us no compelling reason to trust his opinion.

But I'm way off topic, as usual.

I'm a pistol fan through and through. The more variety we have in that regard the better. I don't mind if there are wildly impractical target/hunting handguns, so long as the practical ones are at least equally effective (preferably moreso).

I tend to think of shotguns and ARs as more utilitarian than stylish, so I'm not quite as picky about variety there. Also, a vast number of ARs out there are based on the same few platforms anyway. As for SMGs, well, they pretty much killed it for me when they made them dual-wield, so I don't really have a preference.

Wow. This was an intelligent, well worded post. I totally agree, and I apologize for linking to a bad article. I choose to agree with what you said about the site I linked to, and everything else. It has always personally annoyed me that no FPS game developer has ever put "reliability" as a game mechanic. It's an important issue in choosing between certain guns in real life.

Anyways, I think you are right on everything, and thank you for posting.

Revolvers are old fashioned and inpractical. I doubt a spy would use such a thing these days.

Revolvers are extremely practical and dead reliable.

AP's firearms are a little on the "fantastical" side of realism, but video games in general tend to be pretty forgiving about how ammunition is loaded into weapons. You pick up endless magazines of ammunition and it magically gets sorted into full mags by the time you need to reload. Yippie!

Revolvers are extremely practical and dead reliable.

AP's firearms are a little on the "fantastical" side of realism, but video games in general tend to be pretty forgiving about how ammunition is loaded into weapons. You pick up endless magazines of ammunition and it magically gets sorted into full mags by the time you need to reload. Yippie!

Awesome post :)

As to the .500 magnum handcannon: It could at least be practical as a psuedo "sniper rifle" -a backup in case your main long range gun fails or if your longgun just happens to be a shotgun loaded with shot, and you want an easy to carry, relatively small long range gun for backup. It could be practical for really, really long range combat. A desert eagle by contrast is simply not a good choice for a life or death situation.

Anyways: I own an 8 3/8 inch S&W .500, and I know I wouldn't use it for short OR Medium range combat. But if I was going to be in a long range shootout, I might carry it as a backup to my rifle, in case my rifle gets damaged by enemy fire which fails to penetrate my vest or something.

Hitting a man-sized target at 150m is difficult enough with an AR - a handgun is hardly suitable for sniping targets across the battlefield, unless you want to get a bit fantastic about combat. That's exactly the case in AP, so I'm sure the DEagle's tendency to jam can be toned down a bit. On the plus side, a .357 DEagle holds 9 rounds (7 for the .50 AE), versus a meager 5 on the S&W.

I'm not a fan of the DEagle, but I don't see it as being a much worse choice in combat than any other disproportionately huge gun. None of that matters however, considering we are going to see stuff like SMG dual wielding. I think any semblance of realistic combat went out the window very early in development, so both weapons are likely to have a place in the game.

- When he is best, he is a little worse than a man, and when he is worst, he is little better than a beast.

Just out of curiosity, a question to those of you who (like me) actually has access to handguns and shoot them fairly regularly: how many times have you had a pistol jam on you?

I've fired a lot of rounds with the Husqvarna m/07, and later with the Pistol m/88 and I've never had a jam.

The only time I've ever had a gun jam on me was with a fully automatic machine gun from the fifties ( http://sv.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ksp_58 ) and when that happened I ran into the woods in fear. This happened in the early nineties.

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

Just out of curiosity, a question to those of you who (like me) actually has access to handguns and shoot them fairly regularly: how many times have you had a pistol jam on you?

I've fired a lot of rounds with the Husqvarna m/07, and later with the Pistol m/88 and I've never had a jam.

The only time I've ever had a gun jam on me was with a fully automatic machine gun from the fifties ( http://sv.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ksp_58 ) and when that happened I ran into the woods in fear. This happened in the early nineties.

Depends on the gun, from what I know. Once while I was in training, we went through about a week of **** in the wilderness - rain + dust + shooting practice = very, very dirty bolt and carrier group. I actually wasn't aware how full of dirt the thing was until I took it apart... never had it jam on me, not once. Needless to say, I was very impressed. That was with one of the new G36s. On the other hand, you'd be lucky to find an L you could actually finish an exercise with, without getting a jam.

I haven't fired a DEagle, but from what I've read, it seems like it's fairly prone to jamming, especially if the shooter isn't experienced and doesn't deal with the kickback well. 9mm guns don't compare in terms of kickback to the magnums, so I wouldn't know, but it doesn't sound too far-fetched. And the conditions in combant aren't exactly the same as what you get in the shooting range, either.

Hitting a man-sized target at 150m is difficult enough with an AR - a handgun is hardly suitable for sniping targets across the battlefield, unless you want to get a bit fantastic about combat. That's exactly the case in AP, so I'm sure the DEagle's tendency to jam can be toned down a bit. On the plus side, a .357 DEagle holds 9 rounds (7 for the .50 AE), versus a meager 5 on the S&W.

I'm not a fan of the DEagle, but I don't see it as being a much worse choice in combat than any other disproportionately huge gun. None of that matters however, considering we are going to see stuff like SMG dual wielding. I think any semblance of realistic combat went out the window very early in development, so both weapons are likely to have a place in the game.

The Smith and Wesson .500 uses an identical caliber, with a LOT more force behind it. Not surprisingly, it has a lot more accuracy over long range than the .50 AE. Of course Caliber is not all that matters, there is also bullet wieght, but the point is that the .500 has great long range accuracy in comparison to the Desert Eagle- it can accurately hit deer at 200 yards-with a lot of stopping power left over. Of course, a deer is a lot wider than a human, but that is roughly an extra 50 meters over the 150 meter distance you quoted.

The problem is that large, heavy handguns are only practical at longer ranges in a shootout. A 50. AE has identical caliber, but a lot less force. It would "run out of steam" and become inaccurate far more quickly. By contrast, the .500 S&W is accurate up to about 200 yards/meters, and the .460 S&W is accurate up to 250 yards/meters.

The desert eagle holds more ammo, and has a recoil harnessing mechanism that loads the chamber, thus making it better at spraying fire...but accuracy would be more important for long range shooting, and spraying fire is more practical for close range gunfights. And, as noted earlier, a large, heavy handgun is not really wanted for close range shootouts anyways. You want a speedy draw, and the ability to quickly bring a gun to bear, you don't need much raw power to kill a human being at close range.

That said, I suppose the desert eagle could be practical at medium range, with a higher rate of fire/greater ammo capacity. But the .500 and the .460 would rule in terms of long range stopping power/accuracy, and thus be useful as relatively small, easy to carry long range rifle backups.

Anyways, I would just like to see some revolvers, we don't need the big hunting revolvers anymore than we need the Desert Eagle. And as to an above poster who said that semi-autos are very reliable: Smei-auto's are very reliable if you hold them in the perfect way and don't limp wrist. Sadly, conditions aren't always perfect in a fight to the death. That's especially true of teh Desert Eagle.

Simply put, there is a reason why a Navy SEAL would carry a .357 magnum revolver, instead of a .357 Desert Eagle. That's all I am trying to say. Thanks for the posts and all the replies :)

Edited by Revolverhawk

It has always personally annoyed me that no FPS game developer has ever put "reliability" as a game mechanic. It's an important issue in choosing between certain guns in real life.

The reason for this is because people don't play FPS's to get a truely realistic experiance per se. They don't want to play the "sit down and clean your gun for 20 minutes after you've just shot somebody" minigame, nor the "apply tourniquet minigame either. It comes down to "to realistic". While Jamming may be something people want in games, it'd break the action and ultimatly take the game out of the players hands more often than would probably be feasable. Also if you throw random jamming into multiplayer, people would curse the developers because there would be MANY cases where a guy is about to pull of a fantastic kill series, and win the game for his team, only to have the thing jam and kill him. or he sneaks up on an opponent only to have it jam, the other guy hear the jam and kill him etc etc.

FPS's are designed to be fast paced, anything that really breaks that pace is thrown out because it'll make the game less appealing to the average adrenaline junkie who buys these things.

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

Well, then they really have a chance to try something new here. It IS an RPG and not a fast paced FPS, after all. As long as the realistic jam feature is equally realistically rare, I don't see a problem with it.

I also think gun cleaning would make an excellent mini game on the Nintendo DS :D

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!