Witcher enhanced edition bis

ramza

I finally managed to advance to Act III. This is a real slow moving game for me, partly do to the tremendous load times. After I patched to the EE version, load times seem to increase. Does the 1.5 patch have anything to do with load times? That and the millions of times I've had to fetch quest back to the swamp has made this Act II - Act III way longer than it should be.

The game has some nice concepts but the loading times are still too long in the EE. Moreover, I hate how I have to spend hours in the same areas killing re-spawning enemies just to get some decent level as the quests are not sufficient on their own...

"Ooo, squirrels, Boo! I know I saw them! Quick, throw nuts!" -Minsc

"I am a well-known racist in the Realms! Elves? Dwarves? Ha! Kill'em all! Humans rule! -Me

Volourn will never grow up, he's like the Black Peter Pan, here to tell you that it might be great to always be a child, but everybody around is gonna hate it. :p

The game has some nice concepts but the loading times are still too long in the EE. Moreover, I hate how I have to spend hours in the same areas killing re-spawning enemies just to get some decent level as the quests are not sufficient on their own...

I never had to do that. There was a lot of grinding, but it was all associated with quests, mostly of the fetch kind.

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

Same here, never had any problem leveling up. But truth is, I did regularly stopped into the swamp for some Drowner hunting, to get some money off the sweet alchemical ingredients they sometimes eave behind. Heck, all the creatures in the swamp are perfect to make money! I also never shied away from a fight and never bought anything to make the monsters avoid me.

But by the point I did that, I don't think those monsters were worth a lot of XP, so it most likely isn't because of that that I regularly leveled up.

Well maybe it's just me and my perfectionism... I plan to reach level 50 by the end of the game and actually force myself to gain at least 10 levels per chapter. This makes the game a chore for me...

"Ooo, squirrels, Boo! I know I saw them! Quick, throw nuts!" -Minsc

"I am a well-known racist in the Realms! Elves? Dwarves? Ha! Kill'em all! Humans rule! -Me

Volourn will never grow up, he's like the Black Peter Pan, here to tell you that it might be great to always be a child, but everybody around is gonna hate it. :p

I think the point is more that it would be nice to see them release a new game rather than rerelease the same game three times.

And I say this as someone who bought both the original edition of the Witcher and the EE and is probably one of the bigger Witcher fans on this board.

The other being Pop, of course. :teehee:

Notice how I can belittle your beliefs without calling you names. It's a useful skill to have particularly where you aren't allowed to call people names. It's a mistake to get too drawn in/worked up. I mean it's not life or death, it's just two guys posting their thoughts on a message board. If it were personal or face to face all the usual restraints would be in place, and we would never have reached this place in the first place. Try to remember that.

I think the point is more that it would be nice to see them release a new game rather than rerelease the same game three times.

And I say this as someone who bought both the original edition of the Witcher and the EE and is probably one of the bigger Witcher fans on this board.

We're doing fine over at CDP, thanks for your concern. There are still other projects in the works at the studio, but the goal of the Director's Cut was to finally get the North American game in line with the international edition. To do so, we had to get it re-rated in North America, which required a new name. Enter the Director's Cut. Of course most people who already own the game will just download the patch. If you haven't bought it yet -- or as mentioned in the announcement, for some reason feel like buying another copy -- you can just buy the Director's Cut and not have to worry about installing a patch. Most digital distribution sites will likely ONLY offer the Director's Cut moving forward.

Definitely not a matter of trying to milk the audience more -- I would love to announce our next game, but we're just not at that stage yet.

Linky

I still have not tried this yet. The whole b00bie card thing... icky.

We're doing fine over at CDP, thanks for your concern. There are still other projects in the works at the studio, but the goal of the Director's Cut was to finally get the North American game in line with the international edition. To do so, we had to get it re-rated in North America, which required a new name. Enter the Director's Cut. Of course most people who already own the game will just download the patch. If you haven't bought it yet -- or as mentioned in the announcement, for some reason feel like buying another copy -- you can just buy the Director's Cut and not have to worry about installing a patch. Most digital distribution sites will likely ONLY offer the Director's Cut moving forward.

Definitely not a matter of trying to milk the audience more -- I would love to announce our next game, but we're just not at that stage yet.

Linky

How many times has Ridley Scott released a different cut of Blade Runner? It's still a fine movie, regardless, but excessive re-releasing smacks to me of either milking the content or loving your own work just a bit too much.

And yeah, the Witcher is good (I think) but it's not THAT good.

Yes its adolescent as all get out and wholly unneccessary to the game, but it is also easily skippable for the most part. One of thoe things I think that is given more importance (both positive and negative) than it merits.

Notice how I can belittle your beliefs without calling you names. It's a useful skill to have particularly where you aren't allowed to call people names. It's a mistake to get too drawn in/worked up. I mean it's not life or death, it's just two guys posting their thoughts on a message board. If it were personal or face to face all the usual restraints would be in place, and we would never have reached this place in the first place. Try to remember that.

Yes its adolescent as all get out and wholly unneccessary to the game, but it is also easily skippable for the most part. One of thoe things I think that is given more importance (both positive and negative) than it merits.

He's just upset, because it's only women.

1.13 killed off Ja2.

He's just upset, because it's only women.

Guilty!

guilty.jpg

I can't see Zoltan's boobie card having much appeal to anyone. Which pretty much goes for most of the men in the game. An appealing lot they are not.

edit: Except Geralt of course. If you are into that long white hair thing.

Edited by CrashGirl

This game is pissing me off. The first time I've ever gotten the blue screen of death in Vista, thanks to the Witcher. It crashes nearly every time I play it. Not only that, but I got an extra 2 gig of ram to try to improve loading times but that didn't do a damn thing.

What a piece of ****.

The BSoD is not The Witcher's fault, nor is your loading time problems - more likely you have a bunch of other programs ****ing your system up. The crashes would also be symptom of that.

"Geez. It's like we lost some sort of bet and ended up saddled with a bunch of terrible new posters on this forum."

-Hurlshot

I had to crack the witcher to get it to work on my system :p

Also wanted to point out that the "directors cut" (ie european cut) was just released as a patch in america.

Edited by Calax

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

I had to crack the witcher to get it to work on my system :ermm:

TAGES issues? :sorcerer:

if that means it kept asking for my CD when it was in the drive then yes.

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

I had to crack the witcher to get it to work on my system -_-

TAGES issues? :ermm:

if that means it kept asking for my CD when it was in the drive then yes.

Yes, that was a TAGES issue. Luckly the newest patch removes all traces of the DRM -provided The Witcher was the only game using TAGES on your PC- and makes it playable without the disc. :sorcerer:

"Geez. It's like we lost some sort of bet and ended up saddled with a bunch of terrible new posters on this forum."

-Hurlshot

The BSoD is not The Witcher's fault, nor is your loading time problems - more likely you have a bunch of other programs ****ing your system up. The crashes would also be symptom of that.

Oh, well how come the Witcher is the only game that does it? Virtually none of the other games I play have crashed. Mass Effect might've crashed once.. that's it.

I can run Crysis with all settings maxed and it's fine. The Witcher crashes nearly every time I play and the loading times are longer than all my other games put together.

Still my system though, huh? Yeah, I don't buy that for a second.

Edited by Blodhemn

Oh, well how come the Witcher is the only game that does it?

Because sometimes items effects one game and not another - just like how my copies of Mass Effect crashed until I removed a background task. It was not Mass Effect, it was a faulty mouse driver.

Still my system though, huh? Yeah, I don't buy that for a second.

And I do not buy that it is The Witcher. Have you removed TAGES? Have you actualy looked into any issues? It seems to me that you are jumping to blame The Witcher without any evidance other than "I think so and my other games work, thus it is the issue." Coem back when you've actualy done some footwork. It is also true that I cannot recall any problems like yous on The Witcher technical forums -somewhere I try to go regularly-, another item I find odd. :sorcerer:

-Hurlshot