E3 developer walkthrough video

Definitely looking forward to AP, but some of the gameplay elements in the video were quite strange as others have mentioned.

The train thing was pretty dumb, unless it was some sort of stealth train.

The hand to hand was pretty unimpressive. I hope that it was a PC with low skills in melee.

Within a realistic setting, taking shotgun blasts full on and being ok seems out of place. At least in other more sci-fi oriented games you have armor and shields to explain the mitigation of damage. Or you're a vampire or something.

Did the crouching walk animation just seem weird to anyone? Thorton looked like a chicken and not a bad ass spy. Who knows, maybe real covert operatives actually move that way?

Again, within a realistic setting, the ability to suddenly go invisible seems out of place. I hope they can explain that one with some kind of technology.

And as others have mentioned the AI looked pretty bad. I guess if the guys Mike was fighting against were a bunch of untrained thugs (they kinda looked like that) it could explain their general confusion and lack of coordination. Hopefully there will be enemies that that will form up and systematically sweep a room to find the PC and not go wandering off aimlessly at the slightest distraction.

Don't get me wrong, I'm really looking forward to the game. Especially the story and character interactions and the choices you'll be faced with. I just hope that actually gameplay will be just as entertaining.

I honestly laughed out loud at the crouch walking. It looks totally ridiculous from behind.

Edited by WILL THE ALMIGHTY

"Alright, I've been thinking. When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade - make life take the lemons back! Get mad! I don't want your damn lemons, what am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life's manager. Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons. Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! With the lemons. I'm going to to get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that burns your house down!"

Snake had things much, much sillier than that walk.

"Alright, I've been thinking. When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade - make life take the lemons back! Get mad! I don't want your damn lemons, what am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life's manager. Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons. Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! With the lemons. I'm going to to get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that burns your house down!"

Guest PoziomyPion

The croucn and run animation looks okay, like Enoch says it always looks like that. Just try doing it yourself. The animations themselves seem okay, the problem I Have with them is that they don't seem to connect.For example when MT starts pointing a gun at the enemy it seems so sudden. He isn't rising the gun and all, it just switches to attack stance , the process lacks animation and feels robotic.

The croucn and run animation looks okay, like Enoch says it always looks like that. Just try doing it yourself. The animations themselves seem okay, the problem I Have with them is that they don't seem to connect.For example when MT starts pointing a gun at the enemy it seems so sudden. He isn't rising the gun and all, it just switches to attack stance , the process lacks animation and feels robotic.

This is actually pretty common in games. If the animation (from gun down to gun up and firing) moves at a "realistic" speed, trigger responsiveness feels like total garbage (or bullets fly out of thin air before the weapon is raised). It's one of those things where it tends to be better to look bad and feel good than look good and feel bad.

Guest PoziomyPion
snip

Thank you for the answer, it's not really a big problem for me anyway, but now atleast I know why things are how they are. You can't always kill two birds with one stone.

Yeah, I don't get that either.

Still, looks quite fun. It looks really easy here, but again... Hoping that it's due to a maxed out character/easy difficulty or whatever.

EDIT: Actually, now that I look closer, in the hacking screen there is a number/code on the upper right. I assume it's just finding that code.

Edited by Starwars

Listen to my home-made recordings (some original songs, some not): http://www.youtube.c...low=grid&view=0

The AI looks anemic, most NPCs just stand there waiting to get killed. Would be nice if they'd take cover every once in a while. Otherwise, it looks fun, and this particular mission seems like it would lend itself well to a stealth approach. Just wish we could hear the actual word exchange between Sie and Michael, to get a feel of the writing and tone.

"We do not quit playing because we grow old, we grow old because we quit playing." - Oliver Wendell Holmes

EDIT: Actually, now that I look closer, in the hacking screen there is a number/code on the upper right. I assume it's just finding that code.

Then it's probably an optical illusion that I don't see any static numbers.

Only serious complaint is with martial arts. :) Perhaps the demoer (is that a word?) wasn't trained highly in the fighting skill, but it looked like a bad rock-em-sock-em robots sim. I was really praying to feel like I was in the fights from "Taken" or the Bourne films, gritty, up close, complex ballets. The animations (whack whack, whack whack) look N64-level at best. I'm hoping that with enhanced skills you'll be able to do things like reversals, grappels, disarms, etc. I'm not saying I need something as complex as Assassin's Creed, but c'mon, a highly trained CIA agent who can't BLOCK? There's 5-year-olds in martial arts classes that can do that.

AI is dim too, but in these multi-style games it always is, so no big surprise.

I'd love to see more about the characters and story, that's what will make or break this game.

Opinions are the root of all evil.

My laptop and QuickTime don't get along well, is this it?

Nice vid, but I still don't understand how the hacking minigame is supposed to work. Could someone clarify it for me please?

You have a grid of constantly-shifting numbers and letters. You have two strings of code, however, that are static and don't shift. These match up to two strings in the upper boundaries of the grid. You have to match the strings up to the un-changing portion of the grid, overlap them, then lock them in place. Every once in a while, the static parts of the grid will shift to a different place, so you have to match the strings relatively quickly. As the difficulty of hacking increases, the strings become shorter, making them harder to find amidst the large amount of constantly-shifting numbers.

It's difficult to describe without a visual aid, honestly, but it's pretty fun to play.

Matthew Rorie

• 2 weeks later...