Left 4 Dead 2

"He talked about the reaction to the Orange Box, how people were angry about 'buying' Half-Life 2 again."

But, unlike Left 4 Dad 2, there were three new games in The Orange Box (and, frankly, Half Life 2 and Half Life 2: Episode One were more a bonus than the main selling point and Valve made it possible, due to fan backlash, to gift those away if you already owned them). >_<

"Geez. It's like we lost some sort of bet and ended up saddled with a bunch of terrible new posters on this forum."

-Hurlshot

Didn't take long to milk that franchise, did it?

"Alright, I've been thinking. When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade - make life take the lemons back! Get mad! I don't want your damn lemons, what am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life's manager. Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons. Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! With the lemons. I'm going to to get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that burns your house down!"

Fans are fickle.

I suspect a large chunk of those 4,000 fans will be d/l the game at release with me.

Nonsense! Don't you know that small, rabid fan groups are the main factor in determining whether a game succeeds or fails? I mean, look how well sites like NMA and DAC did with Fallout 3... err, wait a minute...

I'm going to get L4D2. I mean, I can see what DN and Calax are saying, but I really enjoyed L4D2. Bottom line is, I'm more willing to shell out the cash for L4D2 than the DLC for FO3. I guess, if they put out a special package for the DLC for FO3, I'll probably get that also.

Heh, I'll take a map pack that offers more content than the vanilla game.

To each their own. Personally, I'm kind of getting bored with L4D, and so far the sequel doesn't seem to offer much to revitalize the franchise for me. More of the same is, pretty much by definition, good for those who still love the original and meh for those who are growing tired of it.

Though I still might get pressured into getting it by friends, so I suppose it's a good marketing move either way.

Edited by Cl_Flushentityhero

Well the steam group is up to 8k fans. The biggest difference between this and your average Internet bitchoff is that in order to join the group you must have paid Valve SOME sort of cash to have the game for the account to be activated.

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

Based on the read ups that I saw from the game, I'm really looking forward to it.

The unfortunate thing is that this petition is probably going to stop Valve and other like minded companies from doing the free updates they've done for games like Team Fortress 2, since apparently it spoils the fans and makes them feel entitled.

But hey, if some people think they can get some stuff for free, I'm not at all surprised that they'll sign this petition.

Edited by alanschu

I like the idea they have with the AI Director dynamically altering the levels of a game based on how well the survivors have been doing. Sounds pretty ambitious, but that'd be ****ing pimp.

The idea is that if, for example, your team is struggling, a run through the graveyard would be a bit more linear, but if you're pwning face, then your graveyard will be more mazelike, complete with dead ends and whatnot.

I love the Steam group's "summary" of their cause:

The few people here who defend the decision to make L4D2 seem to not understand what everyone is upset about. I've tried to summarize the most common issues I've heard people having in hopes that it clears things up:

* Significant content for L4D1 was promised, and never delivered

* Valve put little faith in L4D1 since they almost certainly started working on L4D2 right after release

* The fact that L4D2 is nearly identical to L4D1 will decimate the community for both games

* The announced date is not nearly enough time to polish content or make significant gameplay changes

* The new character designs seem bland and unappealing so far

* L4D2 is too bright to fit in with L4D1's visual aesthetic

* The fiddle-based horde music is extremely disliked, though the differently orchestrated music is otherwise welcome

* L4D2's release will result in a drop in quality and frequency for L4D1 content, even compared to before

* The community has lost faith in Valve's former reputation for commitment to their games post-release

The ones I bolded were ones that actually made me shake my head and laugh.

I mean, Valve obviously had so little faith in L4D doing well, that they decided to immediately make a sequel for a game they didn't think would be successful.

Edited by alanschu

* L4D2 is too bright to fit in with L4D1's visual aesthetic

The ones I bolded were ones that actually made me shake my head and laugh.

This one didn't make you shake your head and laugh? It immediately made me think of this:

d3rainbowlogo.jpg

EDIT: Bah! You edited it, but I managed to quote you first!

Edited by Deraldin

Guest PoziomyPion

I understand all the rage, the sequel comes too fast and Valve never updated the game like TF2, and they promised they would. I understand that they can't release new AID 2.0 but new maps would be welcome. Heck they don't even have to release new characters, just diffrent skins would be okay.

New weapons that they introduced in L4D2 have the same animations as weapons from L4D, not to mention the graphics overall. Not much of an update in this department (they reuse a lot, just look at the videos) for a full blown 50$ sequel. What about people who bought this game 2 weeks ago? People have right to feel cheated , 'cause they were cheated in fact altough I admit they may be overreacting, but thats what you get by acting like EA all of sudden. Besides in latest interview Valve guy admitted it wasn't supposed to be a sequel. They still could release campaigns,skins,weapons and leave AID 2.0 for L4D2.

I also bougt L4D(never was a Valve fanboy or anything like that) because they promised to keep the game updated and fixed like CS and TF2. Now they even admit they won't, they just release buggy survival mode and match-making witch isn't much of use anyway.

/rant

It wasn't intended to be a sequel, but as they worked on it they realized it was more of a stand-alone game.

I bought L4D because I played the demo and loved it.

The unfortunate thing is that I see something like this encouraging Valve to NOT do stuff like they did with TF2, because other games that don't do it will result in a rabid fanbase. It's a PR boondoggle for sure for them, but seriously, if you don't want to buy L4D2 because you don't feel it's worth the money, then don't. I think that the concerns over splitting the user base and the original L4D being left in the dust are overstated.

People play games that they own. If lots of people don't feel it's worth the money, I think quietly hitting Valve in their pocketbook, rather than ranting and raving and demonstrating how frothing at the mouth you are by signing petitions and so forth, would be more effective. Because I think this mockery of a Steam group and mountains of people with (IMO) behaving stupidly, you're just going to encourage Valve to tell fans to **** off and not bother releasing free updates because then they set a standard that all their games will have to uphold. I mean seriously, a lot of the **** they are griping about is retarded. The MUSIC! It's like someone said "Hey, we need a bigger list of stuff because if the list is too small it won't look as impressive." So rather than focusing on the real concerns, they widen their argument to include pretty petty things, which defeats the entire purpose.

I'm skeptical that half of those people will stick to their guns, especially if L4D2 turns out to be a pretty good improvement and turns out to be ****loads of fun. It's always your choice to decide what to do with your money. I never understood the people that slam EA for releasing the new sports games every year, often with only cosmetic improvements. They do it because people buy them. I like their sports games but I never buy them year after year because I don't feel it's worth the money. I'll do the same thing with L4D franchise.

Is it really full-price though? It seems more of an expansion than a whole new game

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

It'll be full price.

It's pretty easy to sign a petition or join a steamgroup. They should bet their account or life on it. Unless Steam tracks down and bans any people who've joined the group at any point and end up having L4D2 anyway, it's a pretty meaningless signature. Heck, someone should fake their death.

Hadescopy.jpg

(Approved by Fio, so feel free to use it)

Guest PoziomyPion
snip

I completely agree, I'm not gonna join any Steam groups to show I disagree with Valve's policy, I just won't buy L4D2 atleast until it will hit a bargain bin. I realise that a lot of new additions to L4D2 are great and can work out only in a sequel, but still it seems a bit too soon.

I'll just wait patiently and see how it all turns out. Heck maybe L4D2 really will be MUCH better than L4D. I'll just avoid Steam forums and all the rage around this case for the sake of my sanity.

It'll be full price.

It's pretty easy to sign a petition or join a steamgroup. They should bet their account or life on it. Unless Steam tracks down and bans any people who've joined the group at any point and end up having L4D2 anyway, it's a pretty meaningless signature. Heck, someone should fake their death.

I'm gonna go buy some bio-degradable plastic bags and order a brand new set of chinese knives from TVShop. Just to be ready and avoid all that hassle later on.

It'll be full price.

They'll never do it, but man that would be laugh out loud funny if they did ban those people.