Left 4 Dead 2

Okay I lied. It's nigh impossible not to click on a thread you've posted previously in. :)

I enjoyed Rock, Paper, Shotgun's preview of it.

The more previews I read up of the game, the more it seems like they've expanded on the game. Could they have patched this stuff into the game? Possibly. Maybe even probably. But it seems to me that these patches would have altered an awful lot of the L4D game. So much so that it would literally seem like a different game. Especially things such as the dynamic level layout (which I doubt could be patched into the game).

Some of the easier additions, though, were likely decided to be added to L4D2 to create more reason to purchase L4D2 (lets be honest here, Valve is a company in this to make money). Ironically, I think that releasing these smaller additions would further diminsh L4D2 as a standalone game, and the ire of upset gamers would not be quelled.

I know it's easy to say reviews and previews are bought out and meaningless, but I haven't seen any (admittedly I haven't seen many period) that weren't explicit in stating to readers that they felt this was more than just a little expansion.

Due November 17th this year, it’s quite remarkable that it’s so far on already. And frankly, that of all developers Valve have made something this quickly is almost dizzying. While there’s obviously going to be something of a fuss made over people’s expectations that L4D would be constantly expanded for free, following the TF2 model, it’s important to stress that while this is obviously still the same L4D core experience, it’s certainly not a bunch of new maps thrown into the old game. It’s a coherent new imagining of the game, this time bigger, smarter, and far more elaborate. Oh, and gloriously more gory.
Edited by alanschu

...I haven't seen any (admittedly I haven't seen many period) that weren't explicit in stating to readers that they felt this was more than just a little expansion.

Really? Because at least half of the ones I have seen said almost exactly that - including some of the ones that I have posted in this thread... :)

EDIT:

...I'm not really seeing how this sequel doesn't do something a series of DLC packs couldn't also accomplish...

L4D Sequel Met with Much More than Indifference

...Left 4 Dead 2 doesn't really feel like a sequel, so much as an expansion pack or a modification: in my playthrough of the first two sections of "The Parish," set during the day in the post-apocalyptic south, I honestly didn't see enough new content to warrant Left 4 Dead 2's status as a true sequel...

E3 09: Hands-on with Left 4 Dead 2

...when you sit down and start playing, it really just feels like Left 4 Dead v1.5...

Left 4 Dead 2: Voodoo Extreme Hands-On Preview

Edited by Deadly_Nightshade

"Geez. It's like we lost some sort of bet and ended up saddled with a bunch of terrible new posters on this forum."

-Hurlshot

Okay I lied. It's nigh impossible not to click on a thread you've posted previously in. :)

That little white tick is like a cursor black hole. It's impossible to escape it's grip as it draws you back in. :)

I enjoyed Rock, Paper, Shotgun's preview of it.

The more previews I read up of the game, the more it seems like they've expanded on the game. Could they have patched this stuff into the game? Possibly. Maybe even probably. But it seems to me that these patches would have altered an awful lot of the L4D game. So much so that it would literally seem like a different game. Especially things such as the dynamic level layout (which I doubt could be patched into the game).

Some of the easier additions, though, were likely decided to be added to L4D2 to create more reason to purchase L4D2 (lets be honest here, Valve is a company in this to make money). Ironically, I think that releasing these smaller additions would further diminsh L4D2 as a standalone game, and the ire of upset gamers would not be quelled.

I know it's easy to say reviews and previews are bought out and meaningless, but I haven't seen any (admittedly I haven't seen many period) that weren't explicit in stating to readers that they felt this was more than just a little expansion.

Due November 17th this year, it’s quite remarkable that it’s so far on already. And frankly, that of all developers Valve have made something this quickly is almost dizzying. While there’s obviously going to be something of a fuss made over people’s expectations that L4D would be constantly expanded for free, following the TF2 model, it’s important to stress that while this is obviously still the same L4D core experience, it’s certainly not a bunch of new maps thrown into the old game. It’s a coherent new imagining of the game, this time bigger, smarter, and far more elaborate. Oh, and gloriously more gory.

By all accounts it has more content than the first instalment, but that's hardly difficult considering how little shipped with the game to begin with. Part of that is the perception of what L4D 1 had. Did it have 20 maps, or was it 4 campaigns? I didn't think it had enough content to justify paying the full $50 retail price, so I waited till I found it for $30 and I'm happy with my purchase.

I think that Valve made a mistake in talking about it so soon. The usual slow trickle of information is doing more harm than good in this instance. People are angry, or disappointed with the new game and all Valve has shown off so far are the new melee weapons and part of a new campaign. IMO, they haven't really shown anything that says "only possible in a new game" and that doesn't give me a very positive outlook on this whole thing. Others may see things differently, but this is how I perceive the whole issue.

Edited by Deraldin

Having not seen it actually in play I can't really comment.

Did you watch the in-game video links I posted? If not, that's a start. :)

"Geez. It's like we lost some sort of bet and ended up saddled with a bunch of terrible new posters on this forum."

-Hurlshot

That argument gets used to much.. In my experience with sales, it's easier to sell two halfsized boxes of cookie at 15 rather than one big for 30. So I definitely think they are gonna hurt their product with this.

Fortune favors the bald.

I don't really have much of a stake in the larger argument about L4D2, but most full games and game expansions take up the same amount of shelf space. Since that's the case, the retailer would rather sell full games at regular price than expansions at a half price. We're not talking cookies. We're talking software. As long as the primary or even one of the primary sales venues is the retailer, that will have to be a consideration. Not that it trumps all else or that retailers don't love to sell popular expansions. Just that it's one factor.

That reminds me of Killing Floor. One thing [every game] needs is to have zombies eat your corpse when you die.

I fixed your post. Imagine how much better NWN, GTA, and Dr. Barbie Pet Vet would be with that feature.

"When is this out. I can't wait to play it so I can talk at length about how bad it is." - Gorgon.

That reminds me of Killing Floor. One thing L4D needs is to have zombies eat your corpse when you die.

But the Zombies in Left4Dead aren't really trying to eat people in the first place.. they just want to beat you to death..

Fortune favors the bald.

That reminds me of Killing Floor. One thing L4D needs is to have zombies eat your corpse when you die.

But the Zombies in Left4Dead aren't really trying to eat people in the first place.. they just want to beat you to death..

Not really zombies then are they, more like 28 days later rage men.

cylon_basestar_eye.gif

Dunno about you guys but I only buy stuff off steam when there are weekend specials so I got Left4Dead for 24 bucks, thats probably what I will do for the sequel and at that price its reasonable to think of it as a expansion pack. I am worried about the community fragmenting with a sequel coming so soon not every will want to migrate and we may end up with some people playing the sequel and some not.

"For ourselves, we shall not trouble you with specious pretences- either of how we have a right to our empire because we overthrew the Mede, or are now attacking you because of wrong that you have done us- and make a long speech which would not be believed; and in return we hope that you, instead of thinking to influence us by saying that you did not join the Lacedaemonians, although their colonists, or that you have done us no wrong, will aim at what is feasible, holding in view the real sentiments of us both; since you know as well as we do that right, as the world goes, is only in question between equals in power, while the strong do what they can and the weak suffer what they must."

• 4 weeks later...

funny, I always assumed that was their plan.

its the only thing that makes a lick of sense - pop in your lfd2 disc and play all the campaigns you own, kinda like rock band 2 to rock band 1.

Killing is kind of like playin' a basketball game. I am there. and the other player is there. and it's just the two of us. and I put the other player's body in my van. and I am the winner. - Nice Pete.