Left 4 Dead 2

All this can be fixed if they delay the game 6 months and take the time to add other things or update graphics/animation while they're at it.

"Alright, I've been thinking. When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade - make life take the lemons back! Get mad! I don't want your damn lemons, what am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life's manager. Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons. Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! With the lemons. I'm going to to get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that burns your house down!"

Well, Bethsoft didn't screw up by offering gamers updates for free at one point.

They really should start doing this again, it's going to kick their ass in the long term.

Is it really going to affect Bethesda that they release The Pitt, Alaska, and so forth as paid for DLC rather than free updates?

Well, Bethsoft didn't screw up by offering gamers updates for free at one point.

They did, actually! Most of the DLC for Oblivion was free (horse armor aside) They just didn't make the mistake of making it ALL free.

And given how impeccably balanced TF2 is, they wouldn't have broken the game had they charged for DLC (some people theorized it would create a lucrative "arms race") since a team with the alternative weapons wouldn't be unstoppable. You basically already see that scenario played out with a team who achievement farms and a team that doesn't.

Edited by Pop

Then don't buy it until it's cheaper. Problem solved.

Actually, no, I will not be buying a copy unless it looses “southern” feel – I really find that annoying and think that it only detracts from the game. Maybe if I found a copy for five dollars, but unless it drops down in that price range I am going to skip it. :down:

"Geez. It's like we lost some sort of bet and ended up saddled with a bunch of terrible new posters on this forum."

-Hurlshot

Is it really full-price though? It seems more of an expansion than a whole new game

Yes. :down:

As much as I think it will be full price, your proof is a listing on the Gamestop website? Really?

you can find the same price here.

"Geez. It's like we lost some sort of bet and ended up saddled with a bunch of terrible new posters on this forum."

-Hurlshot

I envy people who have the luxury of waiting for price drops. I'm in college and with every semester my workload gets heavier and heavier, soon I just won't have time to play games consistently. If I waited for price drops I'd be giving up the lifestyle sooner rather than later.

Bet your life on it. Buying it for 5$ isn't really a boycott, it's called selling out.

That isn't selling out. That is getting it on sale. :thumbsup:

"Your Job is not to die for your country, but set a man on fire, and take great comfort in the general hostility and unfairness of the universe."

Which is the complete opposite of boycotting a product.

No, as I might, as I have said, be fine with Left 4 Dead 2 as cheap DLC or as a low-priced game. However, I will not buy it for the full $50.

-Hurlshot

The thing for me is that L4D2 doesn't FEEL like a sequel... It feels more like they're saying "It's a SEQUEL! WITH EVERYTHING changed around and ONE new feature! YAY!" I think alan is at one end of the spectrum, but Valve has decided to go to the other end and play the EA strategy (with their sports titles at least). But the problem is that the EA strategy requires that there be some reason for people to play the new version rather than the old one (in the sports titles people can keep their stats and teams updated to what's currently happening, where as in left 4 dead it's simply "Look new people and maps!")

We were told by valve that there would be things like new maps and content released for a while, and they haven't fulfilled that promise. Instead they're packaging it up as a new game for full price.

Hell compare this to Lost and Damned for GTA, the first was a full price game, the lost and damned was 15. Thing was that lost and damned had at least as much content as the main game. At best Left 4 Dead 2 is an expansion pack, not a full game, pricing at as such would cause a lot of grumbling to stop.

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

Did they actually say it'd be a full price release?

Just found this:

Shack: What price-point should we expect?

Doug Lombardi: This is a full sequel.

Shack: So full price?

Doug Lombardi: Yeah. At the end of the day, this is going to be a bigger game than Left 4 Dead. It's five campaigns versus four, all five are playable in Versus mode, Survival mode out of the box, the new multiplayer game mode. Plus over 20 new weapons and items. It's a full sequel.

Also, 20 new weapons? Unless they've got a 16 weapons they haven't shown us, it's looking a lot closer to 4 new weapons and 16 reskinned weapons.

Edited by Deraldin

According to write up I read, the weapons are all modified.

I think it was IGN. So what it was an assault rifle, it played different with different characteristics of the M16 from the original one.

I think I'm going to take my leave of this thread however. I've said my piece.

They really need to make those weapons actually interesting or its just 5 shotguns that do the same damn thing.

"Alright, I've been thinking. When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade - make life take the lemons back! Get mad! I don't want your damn lemons, what am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life's manager. Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons. Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! With the lemons. I'm going to to get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that burns your house down!"

According to write up I read, the weapons are all modified.

I think it was IGN. So what it was an assault rifle, it played different with different characteristics of the M16 from the original one.

I think I found the article you were talking about.

There are going to be new firearms to go along with the old ones; we played with a silenced submachine gun (the silencer has no gameplay affect; it just looks and sounds cool), a new assault rifle that we really liked because it felt tighter and more accurate than the existing one, a new scoped assault rifle that acts like a semiautomatic sniper rifle, and more. These weapons have slightly different characteristics, so it's not just a cosmetic change from the current arsenal.

-A silenced SMG. New sound and skin, supposedly no impact on performance.

-New assault rifle that "felt tighter and more accurate". Might have been changed, might not have.

-New Scoped assault rifle, semi automatic. Not sure how this is different from the current hunting rifle.

-More.

I'm not convinced that they've done much more than reskin the current weapons based on that preview, but I won't be able to tell for sure unless I get my hands on it, or someone manages to pull out the detailed stats. I'd be interested to see what the "and more" is referring to. Even if all they've done is reskin the current crop of weapons, that only takes us to 9 if you include the minigun and grenades, 13 once you add the frying pan, axe, baseball bat and chainsaw, 14 if you count incendiary rounds which leaves us with 6 more weapons that we haven't seen to hit that "20 new weapons!" mark.