Relic developing Warhammer 40k action RPG

Looks like Gears of War set in 40K. No RPG there.

If there is anything manlier than Gears, then it's 40k. When your standard sidearm is a fully automatic armour-piercing rocket-propelled grenade launcher, you know that it can only get better from there.

Check it out on TvTropes for the full extent of the lulz that is 40k.

Edited by Purkake

Not on PC ? Heresy I say. Still, if this plays like the leaked video I saw before...a giant meh. The video had the marine unloading a bolter into guys and just stunning them, so he could do the OMG KEWL finishing move. But, will wait to see how this pans out - an Assault Marine would be pretty fun to play, heh. It'd be nice to see a 40k tactical game - like GR with bolters, given the emphasis on squads among Marines.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

UPDATE 1 - A post on Relic's boards says that this title is not the same game that was leaked in that video from last year. That clip was "for an action title Studio Aus was working on. This is a totally different project, though it does share the same name as the leaked video used."

Sounds like the action game in development at THQ Australia may have been binned, then shifted to Relic and cannibalised for parts. We'll look into it, see if the action game is still being worked on or not.

UPDATE 2 - Yup. Sources have told us that the original action title was cancelled, but that THQ thought some parts were worth salvaging, and handed the leftovers over to Relic to turn into this action RPG.

http://kotaku.com/5271667/40k-space-marine...ed-%5Bupdate%5D

Phew, thank God. :)

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

UPDATE 1 - A post on Relic's boards says that this title is not the same game that was leaked in that video from last year. That clip was "for an action title Studio Aus was working on. This is a totally different project, though it does share the same name as the leaked video used."

Sounds like the action game in development at THQ Australia may have been binned, then shifted to Relic and cannibalised for parts. We'll look into it, see if the action game is still being worked on or not.

UPDATE 2 - Yup. Sources have told us that the original action title was cancelled, but that THQ thought some parts were worth salvaging, and handed the leftovers over to Relic to turn into this action RPG.

http://kotaku.com/5271667/40k-space-marine...ed-%5Bupdate%5D

Always on top of things I see :)

Sweet, I can't wait to play more Space Marine shooters!

"Alright, I've been thinking. When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade - make life take the lemons back! Get mad! I don't want your damn lemons, what am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life's manager. Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons. Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! With the lemons. I'm going to to get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that burns your house down!"

Well hopefully they'll show us Lore Marines - as unbalanced as they would be. Then we could Falcon punch an Avatar of Khaine, heh.

I remember trying their first venture in an "actiony" warhammer 40k game, the travesty known as "Fire Warrior" >_

I don't know if the guy who bought it managed to trade it in for some decent game.

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

I remember trying their first venture in an "actiony" warhammer 40k game, the travesty known as "Fire Warrior" >_<

I don't know if the guy who bought it managed to trade it in for some decent game.

Fire Warrior was really The Epicest Fail and to be honest I do not have very high expectations for this new game...

"Well, overkill is my middle name. And my last name. And all of my other names as well!"

SM are a bunch of genetically enhanced, brain washed monastic warrior monks basically. 40k is about as grim and dark as you can get. The scales of everything is multiplied by 1000 times, instead of millions of people dying billions die. The imperial guard is billions of men and women. Takes place over the whole god damn galaxy. The rule of 40k is anything that is normal sized increase to giant size. See bolters and chainswords.

Edited by Gorth
Removed quote

"For ourselves, we shall not trouble you with specious pretences- either of how we have a right to our empire because we overthrew the Mede, or are now attacking you because of wrong that you have done us- and make a long speech which would not be believed; and in return we hope that you, instead of thinking to influence us by saying that you did not join the Lacedaemonians, although their colonists, or that you have done us no wrong, will aim at what is feasible, holding in view the real sentiments of us both; since you know as well as we do that right, as the world goes, is only in question between equals in power, while the strong do what they can and the weak suffer what they must."

The TV Tropes article basically mentions the Gaunt's Ghosts and and Eisenhorn series, but fazes over their very down-to-earth look into 40k universe and just continues the fanboy tirade. Ugh.

No, not every weapon is a multi-melta or a grot cannon in WH40k, it's just that the most popular renditions of the universe feature those in large quantities wielded by towering men and women wearing Leopard 2's for underwear. The reality presented by some of the fiction is very different however. Not every individual of the Terran empire is a small cog in a giant war machine. Yes, there's planet and system wide drafts by the millions, but large part of the human universe never sees war up close and personal. There's a every bit as much culture and normal life as any other space opera(yes, space fantasy, what'eva) and even Inquisitors are people. The (un?)fortunate fact however is that it's not these features that make the game universe so popular, heh.

And the normal sidearm is totally a stubber. Basically a buffed up 9 mil. pistol. The comparison still applies!

kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

It has made me the man I am today. A man who craves furry hentai.

So let us go and embrace the rustling smells of unseen worlds

The TV Tropes article basically mentions the Gaunt's Ghosts and and Eisenhorn series, but fazes over their very down-to-earth look into 40k universe and just continues the fanboy tirade. Ugh.

No, not every weapon is a multi-melta or a grot cannon in WH40k, it's just that the most popular renditions of the universe feature those in large quantities wielded by towering men and women wearing Leopard 2's for underwear. The reality presented by some of the fiction is very different however. Not every individual of the Terran empire is a small cog in a giant war machine. Yes, there's planet and system wide drafts by the millions, but large part of the human universe never sees war up close and personal. There's a every bit as much culture and normal life as any other space opera(yes, space fantasy, what'eva) and even Inquisitors are people. The (un?)fortunate fact however is that it's not these features that make the game universe so popular, heh.

And the normal sidearm is totally a stubber. Basically a buffed up 9 mil. pistol. The comparison still applies!

Tvtropes is mostly for the lulz, they bring out the silly stuff. Don't get too excited over it.