SC: Conviction Lives

To be fair, the old-style stealth system doesn't really work anymore either. The trial and error thing might have been fun 10 years ago, but it doesn't really work today.

Probably true. Then again it's one of those things that no AAA developer want to test if it works or not nowadays. Kinda of like realistic simulators or turn based strategy games. I guess it was stupid of me to expect that multishot feature would be only thing Ubi changed in order to make it more easier to casual players.

Let's play Alpha Protocol

My misadventures on youtube.

Would it really be a risk? I mean, from what I remember, the old Splinter Cell titles sold pretty well... >_<

It went all downhill with Double Agent, they scrapped the next one and completely redesigned it to be Splinter Cell: Conviction.

I'm not the biggest SC fan, but I don't think the old style Splinter Cells would do today. You need super polished gameplay and a slick interface.

Edited by Purkake

IGN gave 93% :lol:

I checked the review from youtube and Sam moves like the Predator. They've thrown the old style stealth gaming into trashcan and went with superhero physics. I guess moving slow just ain't option anymore >_<

I think I should be happy for the Ubi's new "always online" copy protection system because without it, I probably would have pre-ordered the game. Game is said to be only 5 hours long and there's just no way I'm going to pay full price. I'll wait for Steam holiday sales (if they patch the copy protection system out).

Yeah, IGN gave it a 93%, and the video review only makes passing mention of the fact that the single-player portion is only 5 hours in length. Yeah, I bet if Hilary Goldstein had to, you know, actually pay for the copy that he's reviewed and is now on his third playthrough, he might rate it a little lower.

To be fair, the old-style stealth system doesn't really work anymore either. The trial and error thing might have been fun 10 years ago, but it's kind of outdated by now.

So how does the 'new' system work? You're just fast enough to run away? Everyone is blind? Curious.

Would it really be a risk? I mean, from what I remember, the old Splinter Cell titles sold pretty well... :ermm:

It went all downhill with Double Agent, they scrapped the next one and completely redesigned it to be Splinter Cell: Conviction.

I'm not the biggest SC fan, but I don't think the old style Splinter Cells would do today. You need super polished gameplay and a slick interface.

Well, from what I recall Double Agent was simply a ****ty game, so I'm not sure if it has to do with design or the quality of the execution.

I can't say I'm particularly interested in Syphon Filter : Conviction... :ermm:

There I was, reading this thread and giving some thought to actually buying a copy of this to play when it's out.... and then I suddenly remembered it's Ubisoft and that craptastic new drm. Which slides it into the automatic rejection pile. Ah well. I shall focus on the joys that Alpha Protocol should bring when it arrives instead :)

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

i think i'll finally get around to playing chaos theory instead of this new game, then i'll pick up conviction when its $19.99

i played that pandora something something game when it came out and didnt like it much but i've been hearing that chaos theory blows it out of the water so fingers crossed

really though i imagine i'll probably get an hour into it and then get bored and pop in metal gear solid for the billionth time instead...

Killing is kind of like playin' a basketball game. I am there. and the other player is there. and it's just the two of us. and I put the other player's body in my van. and I am the winner. - Nice Pete.

To be fair, the old-style stealth system doesn't really work anymore either. The trial and error thing might have been fun 10 years ago, but it's kind of outdated by now.

What is this "trial and error thing" you refer to regarding "old-style stealth"?

I think he means that thinking, observing the tangos' actions and routines and working your way through them (lethal or non-lethal).

If I understand it right, you will be able to pull more "cool" chain moves without the need for extreme fps skills.

Yes I know that it might make the game "better" if it is constructed properly (like most other new game abilities) but it feels that somehow instead of an improvement, it will be just another small, pre chewed bite for the "Bite sized" generation of today.

Edited by cronicler

IG. We kick ass and not even take names.

Oh, I see.

Well, I'm hoping it eventually gets to a point where there are consequences; i.e. getting caught blatantly means the rest of the level changes for you, people are on the alert, some paths are closed to you while others open up.

I think he means that thinking, observing the tangos' actions and routines and working your way through them (lethal or non-lethal).

Based only on my experience with the very short demo, they only thing here not in Conviction is a non-lethal way of dealing with enemies.

The "trial and error" style is when you get spotted you're done, just reload the last save. The "new" style is that you still have a chance when you are spotted.

This simply isn't true. All the popular old stealth series, Thief, Metal Gear, Hitman and Splinter Cell have always given you a chance when you are spotted. Some push stealth a lot more than others, for example in the first SC Sam had poor aim and couldn't knock out an alerted enemy without losing a lot of health, and you'd fail some levels if you set of an alarm 3 times, but none of those old stealth games require you to reload when spotted.

Well, I'm hoping it eventually gets to a point where there are consequences; i.e. getting caught blatantly means the rest of the level changes for you, people are on the alert, some paths are closed to you while others open up.

I don't think this is a good idea. If a new path is to open up to the player, it should be because they've made a choice. Failure should make it harder to advance, at least temporarily, it should never open alternate paths.

Edited by Hell Kitty

This simply isn't true. All the popular old stealth series, Thief, Metal Gear, Hitman and Splinter Cell have always given you a chance when you are spotted. Some push stealth a lot more than others, for example in the first SC Sam had poor aim and couldn't knock out an alerted enemy without losing a lot of health, and you'd fail some levels if you set of an alarm 3 times, but none of those old stealth games require you to reload when spotted.

I'm almost certain that one of the older Splinter Cell games had sections with 'instant fail' areas where being spotted = "You have failed" or something along those lines. Unfortunately it's been way too long since I've played any of those to remember which game and what section it was.

I'm almost certain that one of the older Splinter Cell games had sections with 'instant fail' areas where being spotted = "You have failed" or something along those lines. Unfortunately it's been way too long since I've played any of those to remember which game and what section it was.

Funnily enough the mission I'm currently playing through in Conviction is an instant fail if you're discovered.