Fallout 3 DLC Broken Steel out Today!

I dont care anbout new perks at all, what you want is more stuff to do. The last DLC was quite pointless in that it was just an FPS scenario without any real story or roleplaying going on. But it does sound a lot more interesting than the previous DLC because its supposedly a continuation of the story and not some random crap thrown in.

Edited by Kaftan Barlast

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

This is what happens when you do too much audience research and have no principles guiding your design.

Considering their audience demographic mostly consists of teenagers 15-18 (according to a poll on their forums sometime ago,) this statement is true.

audience research? maybe. but have you seen interviews with teh Toddster? i don't think his gaming-mind has developed much beyond "Hey, make it a'splode again, loL!"

I have to agree with this as well. The TES series has been more action oriented (unfortunately) ever since Morrowind.

I have to agree with this as well. The TES series has been more action oriented (unfortunately) ever since Morrowind.

(hasn't there been only one game in TES since Morrowind? ;) )

there have been a countless amount of interviews with Todd, Emil and Pete wherein they perpetually cite their desire to include "cool stuff, dewd!" instead of anything meaningful. which is why we now have DLC which is nothing but console-code tweaks posing as perks, and a bunch of quest'sploshuns. this DLC was obviously marketed toward kids with xboxes who just want see go boom!

Level 30? That's it? I'm sure I can hit that before I am 3/4 of the way through the game.

War is Peace, Freedom is Slavery, Ignorance is Strength

Baldur's Gate modding
TeamBG
Baldur's Gate modder/community leader
Baldur's Gate - Enhanced Edition beta tester
Baldur's Gate 2 - Enhanced Edition beta tester

Icewind Dale - Enhanced Edition beta tester

Listening to all the negative talk about Fallout 3 I start believing it. Then I sit down and play the game and have as much fun as I did playing the first two. :(

Bethesda made some pretty lame decisions but they made a heck of a lot of good ones too. If nothing else they've revitalized a dead franchise and even given a developer we all hoped would develop Fallout 3 in the first a chance to make another Fallout game. Good time to be a Fallout fan if you ask me. Certainly better than the Fallout BOS days. :ermm:

Listening to all the negative talk about Fallout 3 I start believing it. Then I sit down and play the game and have as much fun as I did playing the first two. :(

Bethesda made some pretty lame decisions but they made a heck of a lot of good ones too. If nothing else they've revitalized a dead franchise and even given a developer we all hoped would develop Fallout 3 in the first a chance to make another Fallout game. Good time to be a Fallout fan if you ask me. Certainly better than the Fallout BOS days. :ermm:

Revitalized a dead franchise? It wouldn't have been dead if they hadnt outbid Troika for the rights in the first place.

And yeah, Obsidian is making New Vegas, which is nice, but it's not like they're in a position to do anything outside of the "new vision" for the franchise. And it's obvious from the design choices they've made in this DLC pack that Bethesda isn't going to change their ways and publish anything challenging at all (and by challenging I'm not referring to difficulty)

Revitalized a dead franchise? It wouldn't have been dead if they hadnt outbid Troika for the rights in the first place.

I want you to think long and hard about this sentence. Go on, I'll wait.

Yeah, I don't know how you came to that conclusion either.

GDM: It wouldn't be so bad if B was actually adding to their store of tricks. They created and crafted Morrowind with tons of details and game play gimmicks and so on. Then they ported it to the new engine, cut out a lot of things from it (steamline, dumb it down whatever) and optimized it for consoles. It still had the basis of a truly complex game so a lot of modders went on to create mods for it. Sure you can argue that 40+% of the mods are just skins and textures but in the end the mod crowd really created a game that is different than the original game. Then B. took the game's last version, cut out some more parts, painted it with cool and post apocalypse. (Vats is suspiciously like the combat overhaul mod from oblivion, the story is just a mismatch from the first 2 games scripts, hell even the DLCs contain weapons from old games and POS / POS2 scripts. )

As I see it Someones create things then the current B. dumbs it down and paint is yellow to sell as a new game. This time Obsidian is tasked to create more content. Want to bet if we will see Obsidian created content and code in the next B. title?

And FGS stop blaming B. with every evil deed. Interplay and its all Ips were destroyed thanks to the lack of vision of the man called Caen and his inept leadership. You don't need or you can't justify blaming anyone else. (There are even unconfirmed rumors that the Fallout Ip was offered a lot more cash than B. bought for and that... that.... that MR Caen held onto it. like a................. Sigh I really need to stop now or I am going to b banned for cursing that person a lot.....

IG. We kick ass and not even take names.

GDM: It wouldn't be so bad if B was actually adding to their store of tricks. They created and crafted Morrowind with tons of details and game play gimmicks and so on. Then they ported it to the new engine, cut out a lot of things from it (steamline, dumb it down whatever) and optimized it for consoles.

This seems to be true for Shivering Isles at least. The Isles' geography is almost exactly like Vvardenfell, and its regional environments - Mania & Dementia - are analoguous to respectively the Ascadian Isles & Bitter Coast of Morrowind.

If Bethesda's games were merely a 'paint job' of previous games as you're claiming, though, TES V would already be out... :(

The ending of the words is ALMSIVI.

Tsk tsk tsk. bad virimor. Baaad virimor. Go and study your economics 101! :lol:

We will probably see TES 5 in 2010 q4 (very small chance) or 2011. 2010 q2 or q3 is the shipping date of FO:NY. It depends on if there is going to be any forced milking of this title ala horse armor and such. Then again I might be completely wrong and we might see both TES 5 and FO:NY around the same time undercutting each others sales...

IG. We kick ass and not even take names.

If Bethesda's games were merely a 'paint job' of previous games as you're claiming, though, TES V would already be out... :x

He means design-wise, which is true. They make no effort to explore outside of their niche.

Listening to all the negative talk about Fallout 3 I start believing it. Then I sit down and play the game and have as much fun as I did playing the first two. :x

Well praise be to God, they tossed us scraps, heh.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

And yeah, Obsidian is making New Vegas, which is nice, but it's not like they're in a position to do anything outside of the "new vision" for the franchise. And it's obvious from the design choices they've made in this DLC pack that Bethesda isn't going to change their ways and publish anything challenging at all (and by challenging I'm not referring to difficulty)

Troika is dead, and they probably would have pulled a BIS: Cancel the Fallout as they go down in flames.

As far as these perks, well, they are disappointing, but most of them seem to be designed to allow the console gamers some of the flexibility that PC users have to pay with the game systems. Console commands in the PC version can cover what is done by most of these perks. The Xbox players don't have access to that tool, and console players vastly outnumber us PC players.

It take a lot longer to go 20-30 then 1-20

Hopefully. In plain F3 I didn't bother with the main quest yet and did some of the side quests and I was maxed out in no time.

War is Peace, Freedom is Slavery, Ignorance is Strength

Baldur's Gate modding
TeamBG
Baldur's Gate modder/community leader
Baldur's Gate - Enhanced Edition beta tester
Baldur's Gate 2 - Enhanced Edition beta tester

Icewind Dale - Enhanced Edition beta tester

Getting to level 30 requires nothing less than a World of Warcraft-like grindfest. I started Broken steel at level 20, did everything (at least I think I did) and finished at level 24.

The ending of the words is ALMSIVI.

Eurogamer Review: http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/fallout-...en-steel-review

7/10 "Even so, Broken Steel is an essential upgrade to Fallout 3 that any committed fan will want to grab immediately."

IGN Review: http://xboxlive.ign.com/articles/980/980045p1.html

8.5/10 "Lifting the level cap breathes new life into a great game, but shouldn't totally overshadow a new series of quests that is a lot of fun."

I've purchased all 3 DLC at once and started a new game so it will be a while before I get to the DLC content. I plan on waiting until I'm at the Brotherhood of Steel compound before tackling Operation Anchorage & The Pitt.

The ironic thing is that the main features they are lauding, the lifting of the level cap and the changed ending, were modded into the game almost immediately - so, really, unless you are on a 360 or are buying this for the other things, you can save yourself some cash and use mods.

"Geez. It's like we lost some sort of bet and ended up saddled with a bunch of terrible new posters on this forum."

-Hurlshot