Swine Flu

Rosbjerg

I'd still like to see a link to your allegation that "the USA has admitted that it acted too slowly"... I find it hard to believe that the USA has made such an admission, verified by the WHO, when incidents of USA confirmed/suspected has been released within hours. I personally think the entire swine flue panic has been media driven... but you've made a specific allegation. Please support it or admit that it was speculation. Thanks.

No problem. It was a CDC statement, and I can't be bothered digging it up (I read so many news articles on google each day and bookmark so very few), so take it with a grain of salt. It certainly wasn't a slight on America as Gromnir got irrationaly riled up about; many other countries would have responded similarly.

http://tech.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=09...8&art_pos=2

Supercomputer modelling predicts this will go pandemic sometime next week.

On the other hand, the article aggregated states:

Swine flu may have been caught early enough to prevent a serious U.S. epidemic, according to computer models developed by Virginia Tech's Network Dynamics and Simulation Science Laboratory (NDSSL).

http://www.eetimes.com/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=217201126

On a related note in the article:

U.S. health officials have not been willing to implement the types of social distancing that would likely insure [against] the spread of the flu virus in the U.S. Even if, for example, all U.S. schools were closed and its borders sealed, other countries would have to follow suit to prevent a global pandemic.

"If the virus spirals out of control in other countries, all our measures here will only slow down its spread--even if we closed our borders," said Barrett. "On the other hand, if we could slow it down here for, say, six months, that might be enough time to develop an effective vaccine."

Also, the WHO has renamed this to the Colbert Flu to avoid offending ethnic minorities. Report at 11.

Edited by Krezack

krez can dig up all kinds o' conflicting info, but he can't produce the CDC quote wherein they take responsibility for not acting fast enough? color us unconvinced... 'course, given enough time, somebody in cdc will eventually say something that sounds vaguely apologetic... so just keeps waiting/stalling and eventually you will gets vindicated, eh? WHO threw US under the bus, and US admits fault? fine., but we wanna see evidence... 'cause coming from krez, w/o no supporting cite, makes pretty tough to swallow.

Gromnir is a big fan o' Didymus... got Carravaggio print on our wall.

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

krez can dig up all kinds o' conflicting info, but he can't produce the CDC quote wherein they take responsibility for not acting fast enough?

Alternatively, I quoted a news report I read today, which is obviously easy to access compared to a news report I read about a week ago which is clearly about 100,000 or more pages distant from this one in Google news, and which I can't remember enough key phrases of to find on Google (similar to the one where the US declared a national emergency because of swine flu - or do you not believe that either?). It's not worth my time to dig it up as I was not overly trying to prove a point, merely point out something interesting.

It's amusing to see how hard you are taking it, however.

Edited by Krezack

if CDC or WHO had blamed US for lack o' diligence regarding swine flu it would not be some obscure footnote that were impossible to retrieve w/o considerable blood, sweat and tears.

sometimes the last refuge o' the beaten is to avoid the topic and instead identify a perceived (real or imagined) shortcoming in the accuser. taking hard? not really... but Gromnir am alternatively honest enough AND petty enough to admit we enjoys watching you twist.

btw, the smart play is simply to ignore. the more you reply, the less validity your argument 'bout effort seems to got. luckily Gromnir not post too often no more, so chances are your bs gets forgotten pretty darn fast if you simply hide in the cellar until storm passes. only bad part is that we will probably bring up 6 months or a year from now when next we see you spew some unsupportable crap.

ah well, am gonna get back to work... needs to make a few adjustments to our living trust before it is too late.

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

Our government just ordered 20 million new vaccines with a pharmaceutical firm, which comes down to 2 vaccines per person. For 150 million euros. Glad to see that taxpayer money being put to use... :thumbsup:

The ending of the words is ALMSIVI.

if CDC or WHO had blamed US for lack o' diligence regarding swine flu it would not be some obscure footnote that were impossible to retrieve w/o considerable blood, sweat and tears.

sometimes the last refuge o' the beaten is to avoid the topic and instead identify a perceived (real or imagined) shortcoming in the accuser. taking hard? not really... but Gromnir am alternatively honest enough AND petty enough to admit we enjoys watching you twist.

btw, the smart play is simply to ignore. the more you reply, the less validity your argument 'bout effort seems to got. luckily Gromnir not post too often no more, so chances are your bs gets forgotten pretty darn fast if you simply hide in the cellar until storm passes. only bad part is that we will probably bring up 6 months or a year from now when next we see you spew some unsupportable crap.

ah well, am gonna get back to work... needs to make a few adjustments to our living trust before it is too late.

HA! Good Fun!

Whoa, calm down mate. I've explained myself honestly; there's no reason for you to get so worked up. I'm really not sure why you feel the need to hurl such paranoid vitriol but it'd be nice if you kept it in your head next time you have a bad day eh?

*scratches noggin*

where does you get the notion that we is worked up 'bout anything?

and am still confused as to whether you is trying to be funny with the attempted irony. given your seeming paranoia in this thread and recognizing your typical anti-american vitriol...

*shrug*

you spouted bs that you can't back up with any kinda evidence. Gromnir ain't the one who called you on your fabrication, but we does enjoy watching you struggle... but mild amusement is 'bout as far as we go on this.

HA! Good Fun!

It was interesting to see the difference in rules between Honk Kong officials and Chinese officials (Customs/Immigration) when entering each country last week at the airport and also crossing the border at Lo Wu into mainland china at Shenzhen. When we arrived at Honk Kong airport, we had to sign declaration forms concerning the swine flu. When we entered China at Nanjing airport absolutely nothing to declare - even the food we had in our bags we didn't have to declare.

Even, at the border of Hong Kong at Lo Wu entering Shenzhen, the Chinese officials didn't care and never asked, there were no signs or any indication about the swine flu. However leaving Shenzhen to go back into Hong Kong going through Hong Kong immigration, it was very prominent with signs, etc with the swine flu.

Even mortality rates of 50% wouldn't endanger the human race. There would be 3.5 billion people left

On the other hand, if there was a disease that wiped out 10% of the human race, that most certainly would be 'worrisome.'

Actually it is predicted that any advanced society that takes a population loss around %20 at 1 hit is likely do dissolve into anarchy due to panic and irrationality rising exponantially. I would take this tidbit with some salt but with such panic, it wouldn't take that much to fire up all the suppressed hate and madness from the normal life to make normal stressed people go postal.

IG. We kick ass and not even take names.

So far there has been 20 or so deaths around the world because of Swine Flu. Now, just how many deaths per year can be attributed to regular flu?

"Your Job is not to die for your country, but set a man on fire, and take great comfort in the general hostility and unfairness of the universe."

So far there has been 20 or so deaths around the world because of Swine Flu. Now, just how many deaths per year can be attributed to regular flu?

10s of thousands?

was told by a md friend o' ours that the swine flu is being referred to as an infodemic by the vast majority o' doctors. 'course anybody who has been to a md for a tough to diagnose condition is aware that medicine is more art and less science than we would all like to believe.

HA! Good Fun!

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...