BREAKING NEWS: ORANGE BOX 10$ ON STEAM

Llyranor

That is crazy :aiee:

Each of the components costs 20 bucks/euros separately and that is WITHOUT Half-life 2 and Episode one. I have had the Orange Box since the release and don't regret it for a second. So even if you just want to buy if for one game(Portal alone is worth it), it is half price.

I bought it for about 20$, finished Portal and HL2, got insanely sick of HL2 and returned it for Dead Space.

"Alright, I've been thinking. When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade - make life take the lemons back! Get mad! I don't want your damn lemons, what am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life's manager. Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons. Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! With the lemons. I'm going to to get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that burns your house down!"

I bought it for about 20$, finished Portal and HL2, got insanely sick of HL2 and returned it for Dead Space.

So you played it on the 360? Mistake number one.

Also Dead Space is a damn grindfest, it could be 1/4 the length and be way better.

Edited by Purkake

What's wrong with playing Portal and HL2 on the 360? It's the same game. Do you think if he'd played them on PC he wouldn't have gotten "insanely sick" of them?

I have heard really about things about the 360 ports, especially the controls. I don't know if he would still have gotten sick of it, but the PC version is superior AFAIK. Also, how do you get sick of Portal, it's only 6h long?

Edited by Purkake

What's wrong with playing Portal and HL2 on the 360? It's the same game. Do you think if he'd played them on PC he wouldn't have gotten "insanely sick" of them?

I have heard really about things about the 360 ports, especially the controls. I don't know if he would still have gotten sick of it, but the PC version is superior AFAIK. Also, how do you get sick of Portal, it's only 6h long?

What "really bad things" are those? I've played HL2 and EP1 on PC, and part of HL2, EP2 and Portal on 360. It's the same game except for the controls, which are fine unless you've never played an FPS with a controller, but then the issue is with the player and not the game. Honestly, if you don't enjoy the game on one system, you aren't going to enjoy it on another.

Edited by Hell Kitty

What "really bad things" are those? I've played HL2 and EP1 on PC, and part of HL2, EP2 and Portal on 360. It's the same game except for the controls, which are fine unless you've never played an FPS with a controller, but then the issue is with the player and not the game. Honestly, if you don't enjoy the game on one system, you aren't going to enjoy it on another.

Oh well, I guess the problem is with the game and not the system.

It's still an awesome game, though...

That's like saying Left 4 Dead on the 360 and PS3 is the same game as on the PC. I've played both. It certainly damnwell isn't (at the very least because of the controllers on consoles).

Anyway, I'm gonna try and buy this! I just got a debit mastercard and I can't pass up on this!

It's probably because Episode 3 comes out soon.

Edit: oh wait, this is a digital download, isn't it? And I can't play it without Steam? So I need to connect to the internet, do checks, etc? And if Valve goes under (OK, not gonna happen), I lose it?

Edit2: And if I forget my Steam password like I did for my original HL2 purchase, I lose the game forever?

Edited by Krezack

That's like saying Left 4 Dead on the 360 and PS3 is the same game as on the PC.

What's different about them?

That's like saying Left 4 Dead on the 360 and PS3 is the same game as on the PC.

Um, if you've played both versions and see no difference than I can hardly explain it to you. My mates found it pretty **** to play on controllers, though, certainly. Goes for most FPS's on controllers, really. Very unwieldy, and less precision than a mouse, plus fewer hotkeys.

That's like saying Left 4 Dead on the 360 and PS3 is the same game as on the PC. I've played both. It certainly damnwell isn't (at the very least because of the controllers on consoles).

Anyway, I'm gonna try and buy this! I just got a debit mastercard and I can't pass up on this!

It's probably because Episode 3 comes out soon.

Edit: oh wait, this is a digital download, isn't it? And I can't play it without Steam? So I need to connect to the internet, do checks, etc? And if Valve goes under (OK, not gonna happen), I lose it?

Edit2: And if I forget my Steam password like I did for my original HL2 purchase, I lose the game forever?

There's a nice "I forgot my password" option in Steam. Alternatively, tech support.

Meh, i bought it for 29

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

Um, if you've played both versions and see no difference than I can hardly explain it to you.

I was asking about L4D, as I've only played the demo on PC.

As for the Orange Box, yes I've played both the 360 and PC versions, and as I already said they are the same game. Unlike your mates I don't have a problem with the controls, I don't find them unwieldy at all. If your mates play the PC version with a controller they'll have the same problems. You're describing a difference in the experience, not a difference in the game. Like if you play on a decent PC that runs the games smoothly and with all setting at max, you'll have a difference experience to playing it on a crummy PC that suffers from lag and with all settings at min. The experience is different, but the game is the same.

If you have a problem playing using a controller, then perhaps playing with keyboard and mouse will be better for you. If you think the game is boring after playing it on console, playing it on the PC won't make it exciting because... wait for it... it's the same game.

Um, if you've played both versions and see no difference than I can hardly explain it to you.

I was asking about L4D, as I've only played the demo on PC.

I was talking about L4D.

If you have a problem playing using a controller, then perhaps playing with keyboard and mouse will be better for you. If you think the game is boring after playing it on console, playing it on the PC won't make it exciting because... wait for it... it's the same game.

Well your theory falls apart because we found it boring (or at least, certainly far less fun and engaging) on the consoles and exciting on the PC (short as it is). You can try and say we found the combat 'experience' boring and not the game, but that sounds a bit silly.

Basically: if it plays differently between platforms, then that's effectively a different game, regardless of whether or not the source differs greatly.

Edited by Krezack

The game plays exactly the same on 360 as it would be on PC for me. Trivial issues like controls have zero effect on my enjoyment of it. You either become proficient with the gamepad (which is pretty easy, actually, if you just put the time into it), or you don't bother at all. Otherwise, I don't see the point why people would even bother with console FPS at all if they're just going to pull the 'waa waa kb/m is bettteerrr' card.

Hadescopy.jpg

(Approved by Fio, so feel free to use it)

Console fanatics that do or don't play console FPS? Big difference. Because "My mates found it pretty **** to play on controllers, though, certainly. Goes for most FPS's on controllers, really. Very unwieldy, and less precision than a mouse, plus fewer hotkeys." doesn't sound like it.

I know exactly how you feel, though. I absolutely HATED the Goldeneye experience when I first tried it (having never played a console FPS before). It took me a decent while to play properly with the 360 controller. At this point, I'm comfortable enough with it to consider it second-nature, just as KB/M would be. Dying never happens *because* of the controls.

Hadescopy.jpg

(Approved by Fio, so feel free to use it)

Thanks for the heads up, just order it. I was bitter that to buy it I had to buy HL2 and Episode 1 again, so I never bought it. Now it's at a extremely low price... I'm buying it. Guys, if you don't own HL2, you gotta buy it!

If you already own HL2/Ep1 you can gift the new ones to anyone you want. Too bad it only works for HL2/ep1

If anything it probably works better on Xbox because the aim helping mechanism all but ruins aiming on the PC. You have to crank up the mouse speed and acceleration so much you wind up constantly dancing around in circles, or settle for making huge spastic motions to fine tune your aim. I can only suppose this feature is so deep in the engine they didn't know how to remove it for PC. Or they just didn't care.

Na na  na na  na na  ...

greg358 from Darksouls 3 PVP is a CHEATER.

That is all.

Correction: it wasn't Half-life 2's gameplay that made me sick, it was the characters and setting. Most bland landscapes I've ever seen.

"Alright, I've been thinking. When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade - make life take the lemons back! Get mad! I don't want your damn lemons, what am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life's manager. Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons. Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! With the lemons. I'm going to to get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that burns your house down!"