BREAKING NEWS: ORANGE BOX 10$ ON STEAM

Llyranor

Correction: it wasn't Half-life 2's gameplay that made me sick, it was the characters and setting. Most bland landscapes I've ever seen.

Lies, all lies!

Alyx is awesome and so are Barney, Dr Kleiner, Eli Vance and the G-Man.

And what's wrong with East-European architecture mixed with alien technology? The channels are a bit boring, but the seafloor-desert is awesome with all the shipwrecks and stuff.

Maybe you just don't have a soul?

Edited by Purkake

I wish there actually was a seafloor desert with shipwrecks and stuff in HL2, they just scrapped it in pre-beta. All we got was a rather dry beach. A very nice beach with interesting exploration, but a beach nonetheless.

kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

It has made me the man I am today. A man who craves furry hentai.

So let us go and embrace the rustling smells of unseen worlds

I wish there actually was a seafloor desert with shipwrecks and stuff in HL2, they just scrapped it in pre-beta. All we got was a rather dry beach. A very nice beach with interesting exploration, but a beach nonetheless.

Yeah, I couldn't describe it very well. What I liked about it was that it actually looked like there had been a sea there and it had dried up, not just some shipwrecks and sand thrown around.

You could complain about the weapons being a bit sucky in HL2, but the environments are very well designed and pretty. In most FPSs all you get is some gray/brown wasteland/ruins/urban environments. Half life 2 has the city, channels, deserty beach, Ravenholm, the prison and finally the citadel.

Um, if you've played both versions and see no difference than I can hardly explain it to you.

I was asking about L4D, as I've only played the demo on PC.

As for the Orange Box, yes I've played both the 360 and PC versions, and as I already said they are the same game. Unlike your mates I don't have a problem with the controls, I don't find them unwieldy at all. If your mates play the PC version with a controller they'll have the same problems. You're describing a difference in the experience, not a difference in the game. Like if you play on a decent PC that runs the games smoothly and with all setting at max, you'll have a difference experience to playing it on a crummy PC that suffers from lag and with all settings at min. The experience is different, but the game is the same.

If you have a problem playing using a controller, then perhaps playing with keyboard and mouse will be better for you. If you think the game is boring after playing it on console, playing it on the PC won't make it exciting because... wait for it... it's the same game.

I both agree and disagree. One's enjoyment of a game is tied into one's experience of it and that experience is tempered by a large number of factors, gameplay being a major one. In a shooter (or other game with high 'twitch' factor), the responsiveness of the controler and the fps both can heavily effect game play.

That said, I don't consider Portal a game that relies on such.

"When is this out. I can't wait to play it so I can talk at length about how bad it is." - Gorgon.

I really like the feel that the controls and the body awareness give to the game. It's also present in Dark Messiah, so I'd have to attribute it to Source, I guess.

kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

It has made me the man I am today. A man who craves furry hentai.

So let us go and embrace the rustling smells of unseen worlds

I really like the feel that the controls and the body awareness give to the game. It's also present in Dark Messiah, so I'd have to attribute it to Source, I guess.

Dark Messiah was awesome, I still wonder why there are so few people that even know about it. I could kick skeletons down stairways for hours and it never lost it's charm...

Dark Messiah was awesome, I still wonder why there are so few people that even know about it. I could kick skeletons down stairways for hours and it never lost it's charm...

I found Dark Messiah on Amazon for $6.75 USD. Next time I get a book or something I may throw that in the order as well. I mean for $6.75 it doesn't really matter if its awful.

I mean it does, but I'm not out much even if I hate it. :p

Notice how I can belittle your beliefs without calling you names. It's a useful skill to have particularly where you aren't allowed to call people names. It's a mistake to get too drawn in/worked up. I mean it's not life or death, it's just two guys posting their thoughts on a message board. If it were personal or face to face all the usual restraints would be in place, and we would never have reached this place in the first place. Try to remember that.

Correction: it wasn't Half-life 2's gameplay that made me sick, it was the characters and setting. Most bland landscapes I've ever seen.

Lies, all lies!

And what's wrong with East-European architecture mixed with alien technology? The channels are a bit boring, but the seafloor-desert is awesome with all the shipwrecks and stuff.

They're all gleefully happy and cheery despite the alien occupation, and never bother to mention anything relevant to the plot or what the hell is going on in the first place. The only interesting characters were Dog and the G-man, bother of which either don't talk or have 5 lines in the entire game. Also, Barney is an idiot. I wish I could have shot him. Alyx is incredibly boring and so is that woman scientist.

What's wrong with East-European architecture is that its too ordinary and the alien technology stood out like a sort thumb, not to mention the big black walls were awful. There was no mood, no atmosphere and seemingly no art direction whatsoever.

"Alright, I've been thinking. When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade - make life take the lemons back! Get mad! I don't want your damn lemons, what am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life's manager. Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons. Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! With the lemons. I'm going to to get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that burns your house down!"

I found Dark Messiah on Amazon for $6.75 USD. Next time I get a book or something I may throw that in the order as well. I mean for $6.75 it doesn't really matter if its awful.

I mean it does, but I'm not out much even if I hate it. :p

It's worth it just for the kick button!

Lies, all lies!

They're all gleefully happy and cheery despite the alien occupation, and never bother to mention anything relevant to the plot or what the hell is going on in the first place. The only interesting characters were Dog and the G-man, bother of which either don't talk or have 5 lines in the entire game. Also, Barney is an idiot. I wish I could have shot him. Alyx is incredibly boring and so is that woman scientist.

What's wrong with East-European architecture is that its too ordinary and the alien technology stood out like a sort thumb, not to mention the big black walls were awful. There was no mood, no atmosphere and seemingly no art direction whatsoever.

The only one who is cheery is Alyx and she is just an optimist, all the random people you meet are all doom and gloom.

I think the idea was to have the Combine architecture stand out, showing that the combine are slowly taking over the city(and the planet) and changing it. Can you name a FPS that had good art design/environments?

Can you name a FPS that had good art design/environments?

Bioshock. :p

I guess it comes down to opinion, like most things. Still, the game bored me to tears.

"Alright, I've been thinking. When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade - make life take the lemons back! Get mad! I don't want your damn lemons, what am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life's manager. Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons. Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! With the lemons. I'm going to to get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that burns your house down!"

Can you name a FPS that had good art design/environments?

Bioshock. :p

I guess it comes down to opinion, like most things. Still, the game bored me to tears.

Funny that, Bioshock bored me to tears. Half-Life 2 kept changing things around, trying new things, while Bioshock had you kill the same enemies over and over and over.

The environment/art style was really good, I'll give you that. You couldn't really make HL2 about an art style, though.

I hereby declare this thread to be worthy of hosting mod-related questions.

- What kind of graphical enhancement mods do you people recommend for HL2?

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

Lost Coast? I dunno. It's not exactly got bad graphics.

I am a graphic whore, therefore i exist :(

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy