Obsidian's another unannounced title?

funcroc

To acquire publishing rights doesn't mean the publisher owns the IP. For example, original Jade Empire for Xbox was published by Microsoft and Jade Empire: Special Edition for PC was published by 2K Games but BioWare still owns the IP.

Edited by funcroc

To acquire publishing rights doesn't mean the publisher owns the IP. For example, original Jade Empire for Xbox was published by Microsoft and Jade Empire: Special Edition for PC was published by 2K Games but BioWare still owns the IP.

No one implied they did.

But if 2K Games still owns the publishing rights for Dungeon Siege III, shouldn't that rule out the possibility of Squeenix publishing it?

No one implied they did.

But if 2K Games still owns the publishing rights for Dungeon Siege III, shouldn't that rule out the possibility of Squeenix publishing it?

Depends on the deal they made. If they only bought the publishing rights to those two games mentioned in that article, then I would imagine the publishing rights are (or were) up for grabs.

Hate the living, love the dead.

According to the article above, 2K Games had "acquired publishing rights to both Dungeon Siege II: Broken World for the PC, and also Dungeon Siege: Throne of Agony for the PSP."

When did 2K Games acquire the publishing rights for DSIII? I've never heard of it.

According to the article above, 2K Games had "acquired publishing rights to both Dungeon Siege II: Broken World for the PC, and also Dungeon Siege: Throne of Agony for the PSP."

When did 2K Games acquire the publishing rights for DSIII? I've never heard of it.

Forget what I said, for some reason I though I read DSIII among those other games in the article. Sorry.

I found it here:

http://www.gaspowered.com/news_detail.php?...ry=pressrelease

note that it doesn't say 'exclusive' but the first paragraph seems to imply it is a long term deal.

I very much hope it's not yet another D&D game.

Agreed. If you must do medieval-type fantasy, do so in a way that isn't burdened by that silly ruleset, those bland settings, and WotC review.

I very much hope it's not yet another D&D game.

Agreed. If you must do medieval-type fantasy, do so in a way that isn't burdened by that silly ruleset, those bland settings, and WotC review.

*Sigh* Can we have a Warhammer crpg please? :)

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

WAIT? WHAT???!!!

Ok... I've... coped with the news, so I'll try to post a comment.

First :

- Obsidian is in a ****ty situation. Honestly, Alpha Protocol bombed an now we know that all their project are sequels or someone else's IP. It's not looking good at all.

- Dungeon Siege? Seriously? Couldn't you pick something a little bit more interesting? Even Obsidian's writers can't do miracles with stale settings.

- Co-op mode and multiplatform. Sounds like a recipe for disaster =/

Edited by WorstUsernameEver

Curious how the game will turn out, but I don't know anything about the previous Dungeon Sieges and not that intrested in playing them either. :ermm:

Too bad it wasn't a new IP, but hopefully this project will open some doors at Square Enix for Obsidian's own projects.

Hate the living, love the dead.

Second game was good. I can imagine Obsidian turning this into a similar game like Bioware did with Dragon Age: Origins. Hopefully Obsidian make a distinction of giving more choices to the player, than the other RPG game son the market, to help it stand out.

Edited by Skull Knight

By the way, we knew Dungeons Siege III was being worked on since 2008, so either Obsidian was behind this all along, or they scrapped that and gave Obsidian the assignment/interrupted the work and told Obsidian to completed (I mean, this is a classic Obsidian job, pick up from what other devs' left and work on top of it) or the PR announcement is wrong (doubtful) and this isn't Dungeons Siege 3 but Dungeon Siege HD, so Obsidian is just remaking the first game instead of creating a sequel from scratch (isn't the story the same by the way? can someone inform me on this? I've never played Dungeon Siege, and if I'll do it one day, it will be to play the Ultima remakes).

Obligatory smilie : :ermm:

Dungeon Siege II's combat is pretty much the same as Dragon Age, it just doesn't suffer from the acute lack of enemy variety and the inability to have more than ten enemies on the screen at the same time. Moreover the boss fights are a hell of a lot more memorable. The expansion was meh, but at least it wrapped everything up nicely.

Dungeon Siege had screensaver combat, but some brilliantly designed dungeons & an amazing variety in breath-taking scenery. The beginning of the game was also classic, starting as a farmer who literally throws away his/her shovel and starts kicking butt with a butter-knife.

And speaking of the Farmer:

inthenameofthekingadungr.jpg

**** yeah.

The ending of the words is ALMSIVI.

That was a bit unexpected. Never actually played any of the Dungeon Siege games, though.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

The... whu... who... whuh?

This makes too little sense for simply one writing system.

ӧτί ό φοκκος ω οβσιδιανοί;

ỚΤỈ Ό ΦΟΚΚΟΣ;

This particularly rapid, unintelligible patter isn't generally heard, and if it is, it doesn't matter.