Obsidian's another unannounced title?

funcroc

It may very well be the fantasy project Feargus hinted way back with a GameBanshee interview.

Let's hope it's turn-based or at least RtwP.. yeah I know if that's the case it will inevitably be called another Bioware rip-off or whatever, but Obsidian has a tradition when it comes to this kind of games, and had at time to think about what were the flaws (technical, writing-wise and gameplay-wise) of Neverwinter Nights 2, so there is great potential, assuming they take the right choices and that production goes smooth as butter, something that hasn't happened before with the other published projects.

assuming they take the right choices and that production goes smooth as butter, something that hasn't happened before with the other published projects.

Feargus needs to keep those pink slips handy. :(

Actually, I take my comment back. Atari just confirmed a year ago that they want to reanimate the BG and NWN franchises. NWN becomes a MMO (developed by Cryptic), but BG? That gotta be Obsidian!

Wouldn't count on it.

It will turn out to be some console hack'n'slash with D&D names, a Baldur's Gate : Dark Alliance III most probably. :(

Actually, I take my comment back. Atari just confirmed a year ago that they want to reanimate the BG and NWN franchises. NWN becomes a MMO (developed by Cryptic), but BG? That gotta be Obsidian!

Boy, Cryptic is making a lot of MMO's anymore... ST:O, Champions, I think they're doing one other project and now NWN MMO?

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

IIRC that statement was made when Phil Harrison was CEO of Atari, since he isn't anymore... I wouldn't count on it.

and now NWN MMO?

:shifty:

Edited by Syraxis

Matt 'beardless' McLean is reading.

Will he announce that the new project will be 'The Beard RPG' ? :ermm:

The Seven Dwarves resurrected? ;)

For a moment I though that 'Resurrected' was part of the title.

Imagine it for a moment, it would be fun : you're the decaying corpse of a dwarf, member of a band of seven, bandits that roamed through the kingdom and wreaked havoc.

Then one day.. you were killed.

And now, resurrected thanks to a clueless necromancer that just wanted a skeleton but picked up the wrong scroll, you're back... for your vengeance!!

... No, it sounds sucky.

Really though, I'd be interested in knowing what Seven Dwarves was, and, for the matter, what Project New Jersey or whatever was the name of the project that Annie Carlson whines so much about the fact that it was canceled.

I have the feeling that if it really was that good as a project, I'd end up whining too though, so maybe it's for the best.

Really though, I'd be interested in knowing what Seven Dwarves was, and, for the matter, what Project New Jersey or whatever was the name of the project that Annie Carlson whines so much about the fact that it was canceled.

I have the feeling that if it really was that good as a project, I'd end up whining too though, so maybe it's for the best.

I thought Seven Dwarves was Project New Jersey?

I thought Seven Dwarves was Project New Jersey?

Dunno. She never referred to it as such, and since we already knew the title of Seven Dwarves it strikes me as strange.

Then again, it could be.

After all, the only thing we saw about Seven Dwarves it's a couple of concept arts.

Dunno. She never referred to it as such, and since we already knew the title of Seven Dwarves it strikes me as strange.

Then again, it could be.

After all, the only thing we saw about Seven Dwarves it's a couple of concept arts.

I don't think any of the Obsidian staff ever used the name Seven Dwarves. Afaik we found out about it in this thread http://forums.obsidian.net/index.php?showtopic=52202&hl= which connects the two.

But since PNJ is the only cancelled project other than Aliens we know about, if there was indeed a Seven Dwarves game it makes sense that was it.

But since PNJ is the only cancelled project other than Aliens we know about, if there was indeed a Seven Dwarves game it makes sense that was it.

Well.. yeah. Though we still know so little about it that's difficult to know how promising the game would've been.

Certainly the art direction, judging by just those concept arts, was something... unusual.

What is this SquareEnix project that everyone is talking about? Is it related to Obsidian?

Who knows? We only know that it's an RPG developed by a western, north american developer.

And that's about it.

Since we've nothing to discuss about Obsidz new unannounced project, we've gone with this 'SE project' thing-y, even after pretty much all of us agreed that the chance of it are pretty slim.

By the way, this David Hoffman guy talks about the project like it's some kind of Holy Grail, cancer/AIDS-curing panacea or something.

So expect a subpar game.

From MCA's blog

How do you set up technical constraints for dialogues for your titles?

We're actually giving a talk at GDC Austin (it's on the Narrative/Writing track - the actual name of the conference is GDC Online now, I believe) on the dialogue standards we set up individually for our titles - the standards depend on the genre (D+D is different than Star Wars which is different than Alpha Protocol which is different than New Vegas which is... well, you get the idea). The standards encompass the amount of text on screen, formatting for skill placement, how to set up item description text, quest logs, quest log entries, clarifying objective text, amount of voice-acted dialogue players should see on screen, how the game mechanics of the dialogue and the dialogue systems work and how they should be paced (alignment shifts, reputation shifts, Light Side/Dark Side gains and how to communicate that to the player), and more. With any luck, John Gonzalez (our story lead and creative lead for New Vegas) and George Ziets (Mask of the Betrayer story crafter and designer) will be joining me up there. Hopefully, we can talk about our unannounced title then and the work George has been doing on it, even if he's modest about it as always.

For any aspiring narrative designers, Austin GDC's a great place to meet narrative designers in the industry, too, highly recommended.

Obsidian should be at Comic-Con, too, although more on that in a bit.

can't wait for GDC online.

Edited by funcroc