Obsidian making Fallout: New Vegas

Fionavar

Meh, it seemed to me that the bulk of the Fallout fans were ridiculous ass monkeys that were trashing Fallout 3 simply because it wasn't going to be Fallout 1/2.

I always assumed the codex being censored on the Bethesda boards had more to do with their general attitude and vulgarity. Unless everyone who gave Oblivion a bad review is banned there then that excuse is nonsense.

That makes a lot of sense in a way, because I can see them not wanting links from their 13+ forums leading straight to one that is blatantly not. ~Still that seems like only one of the reasons.

The negative reviews were fine. What wasn't fine was the years of excessive negativity BEFORE the game came out. Nothing could be done to appease these folks. They were, and are entitled to their opinions, but for many of them the mere fact that Beth purchased the franchise meant game over for them. One does not continue to fight hopeless battles.

You folks might start getting a taste of it here. If F:NV isn't a FO1 clone, you better man the ramparts.

I would be shocked and amazed if even one member from the Beth, Obsidian, and even NMA forums, wanted a Fallout 1 or 2 "clone". I've not seen that asked for even once in the two years that I've read them.

(Granted :) I've not read the Codex forums much... but I'd still be surprised.)

Edited by Gizmo

I moved a post into the spoilers forum. I don't think Fallout 3 spoilers here are really a problem, but an outline of the entire main quest was perhaps a bit too much. Remember you can use spoiler tags, too. :)

We have spoiler tags here?

Whoops.

The negative reviews were fine. What wasn't fine was the years of excessive negativity BEFORE the game came out. Nothing could be done to appease these folks. They were, and are entitled to their opinions, but for many of them the mere fact that Beth purchased the franchise meant game over for them. One does not continue to fight hopeless battles.

When calling out bull**** Fallout 3 previews were full of became a taboo? Oh, and just so you know, the Hive Mind is mostly optimistic about New Vegas, despite the gameplay style of Fallout 3 being kept, simply because Obsidian can do the setting justice, something Bethesda "Giant robots blowing **** up are sooo cool!" Softworks completely failed at.

20795.jpg

But you not liking a game doesn't make it crap. It only makes it crap to you, and the two, of course, are not the same.
I don't like to eat bamboo, and think it unfit to live on, but Panda's seem to eat it exclusively; So... its not crap to them, but it is of very little nutritional value, so I can't understand why they eat it at all.

BTW ~Since you like GOG, I'd recommend Arx Fatalis to you [highly].

*The only caveat is that it takes place underground, so it does not have the rolling hills and trees found in Oblivion.

[quote name='H

Edited by Gizmo

You folks might start getting a taste of it here. If F:NV isn't a FO1 clone, you better man the ramparts.

Bethesda devs posted to the codex until the TES4 review came out, when they vanished suddenly. It wasn't even completely negative, just very detailed (and profane) in its criticism. The Fallout 3 review at NMA by the same author was pretty positive overall. I think you may be the one trying to perceive an epic conflict here.

Oh Jimmy, you were so funny.

Don't let me down.

From habit he lifts his watch; it shows him its blank face.

Zero hour, Snowman thinks. Time to go.

Bethesda devs posted to the codex until the TES4 review came out, when they vanished suddenly. It wasn't even completely negative, just very detailed (and profane) in its criticism. The Fallout 3 review at NMA by the same author was pretty positive overall. I think you may be the one trying to perceive an epic conflict here.

some similar thing happened at NMA a long time ago. too bad, since it was kinda beautiful watching Rosh's claws tear into their posts so viciously.

in other news, since monday i've been doing all sorts of grave-digging and i just came up with this promising bit from Sawyer himself, written in the pre-FO3 days. he says: "I enjoyed the Dark Brotherhood stuff in Oblivion, though I hope Fallout 3 has more branching plotlines and important player chioces."

(too bad he never got his wish)

Edited by TwinkieGorilla

in other news, since monday i've been doing all sorts of grave-digging and i just came up with this promising bit from Sawyer himself, written in the pre-FO3 days. he says: "I enjoyed the Dark Brotherhood stuff in Oblivion, though I hope Fallout 3 has more branching plotlines and important player chioces."

(too bad he never got his wish)

FO3:New Vegas might well be FO3 with an Obsidian spin; Perhaps (in a way) he will get his wish.

Please note that while frank and harsh discussions about anything, including Obsidian itself, is not a problem, profane and/or excessive bashing of any game or company will incur my terrible wrath.

Yes, terrible. Terrible things will happen. Groar.

Ah Kjarista is over here at last. With the tales of the evil NMA boogeymen. What's wrong with negativity, anyway ? It's a lot better than excessive optimism - that invariable leads to disappointment. And who asked for a clone of FO1, exactly ? You kept bringing this strawman argument back on the Beth forums, doesn't hold much weight. If F:NV turns out to be like FO3, then you'll see a good bit of the "hardcore" fans disappointed but not without reason - (talking about beyond "argh this game sucks!").

Though, think about it, if Bethesda handed TES off to some other people entirely, you'd be apprehensive or even negative about their chances. So you can't blame the "folks" for being not too keen on the idea from the get-go.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

After doing some reading about Divine Divinity 2, there's a lot there that Obsidian could take a look at. I hope they take a leaf out of Larian's books, because I get the feeling they've lost their way with RPG's lately (including Alpha Protocol, but obviously the jury's still out on that one).

Though, think about it, if Bethesda handed TES off to some other people entirely, you'd be apprehensive or even negative about their chances. So you can't blame the "folks" for being not too keen on the idea from the get-go.

yar. it's like the whole "grandma's recipe" problem. nobody ain't never gonna be able to use that same recipe and make it as good as granny. the problem with Bethie though, is that they took too many essential ingredients out of the recipe and substituted them for cheaper, easier ingredients. can you blame the people used to eating granny's stuff for spitting this new stuff out?

I really would like to have a poll to see how many folks liked Fallout 3. When it was finally released, the threads on these forums were overwhelmingly positive. Even quite a few skeptics were happy with the end result. It just amazes me how quickly the negative train pulled back into the station, is all.

I really would like to have a poll to see how many folks liked Fallout 3. When it was finally released, the threads on these forums were overwhelmingly positive. Even quite a few skeptics were happy with the end result. It just amazes me how quickly the negative train pulled back into the station, is all.

what? meh. i liked it ok as a generic post-apoc wasteland simulator and i thought some of the side-quests were actually pretty great and i loved the environmental design. this was all more than i expected before i bought the game. i actually prepared myself for the act of hitting "eject" and cracking the disc over my leg. the fact that i got nearly 100 hours out of it went miles to say how it surprised me. it's just that the dialogue was so embarrassingly bad and SPECIAL was very UNspecial because it was implemented superficially (i did a huge breakdown of this at the official Bethie forum awhile back). it just failed as a proper Fallout game for me.

anyway, who cares? the point now is "let's hope FO:NV is the droids we were looking for!" idn't it???

Why should it amaze you?

People were disappointed that Bethesda would be doing FO3, but when push came to shove, were keen for another installment, even if not as true to the originals as it could of been under BIS/Obsid. They resigned to the fact that FO was a Bethesda franchise now. Then, when they finally hear about Obsid getting a go at it, they remember all the things they disliked about FO3, even though it was an OK game, and get critical - for the purposes of ensuring Obsid does a better job. People get hopeful again for a real successor to FO1 and 2.

Why should it amaze you?

People were disappointed that Bethesda would be doing FO3, but when push came to shove, were keen for another installment, even if not as true to the originals as it could of been under BIS/Obsid. They resig

ned to the fact that FO was a Bethesda franchise now. Then, when they finally hear about Obsid getting a go at it, they remember all the things they disliked about FO3, even though it was an OK game, and get critical - for the purposes of ensuring Obsid does a better job. People get hopeful again for a real successor to FO1 and 2.

I was not against Bethesda's making it (though I was disappointed that Troika could not).

I bought Oblivion [Collectors edition] sight unseen because I wanted to see their best and learn about the company. Immediately I saw the potential they had, and had seen some of Gamebryo's potential in games like Kohan2 and later Civ 4. I saw several interesting parallels with the TES4 engine and Fallout 2 (if you can believe it). The first thing was that TES4 can't do seamless entry from outdoor to indoor [requiring a loading screen]. It occurred to me then that if they'd wanted too (as a gag), they could put exit grids at the edge of town :); but more seriously that they could have made a fallout 3 (loosely) similar to

, and this would have allowed them to use much higher poly head models for close up dialogs with photo realistic heads that taxed the engine to a crawl on just the face alone; Depicting a play of emotions across the features far in excess of simple smiles and scowls.

~None of that happened :(, but that's still not what bothered me... I became disappointed when they began releasing screenshots that showed it to be another TES set in the Fallout game world, with a few trivial rule changes. To me its just not Fallout ~Its got the landscape, the BOS Armor, and the mascot... but what else does it have in common?

Fallout 3 should not need be compared to the original... but it is ~endlessly. The thing is though... Fallout did what it did using 90MHz Pentium 16MB ram and a CD ~It ran in DOS under 32MB, Fallout 3 wants 32 times that amount of ram as a minimum, and uses a double layer DVD resource on a 2400MHz Pentium,

and Modern PC's have dual/triple/quad core processors.

So its odd that these games are compared at all. IMO though the world of Fallout 1 was more believable [in context], and it felt like a better thought out game.

Fallout 3 needed not just surpass its predecessors, but should have been held to a relative standard commensurate with its requirements. Fallout 3 is an amazing game on its own merits, but when compared... its only just par, except for its graphics ~which don't affect the game.

Some of the hallmarks of the series (as I saw them), were...

• A vast world with sparse and spread out towns of differing cultures (In Fallout 3, everything seems just over the next hill).
  • The heads. For their day Fallout's heads were pretty incredible (for their day Fallout 3's heads are not).
  • SPECIAL. In Fallout each stat had far reaching effects ~some were not always apparent (Fallout 3 has arguably introduced "dump stats" into SPECIAL).
  • Risky choices. In Fallout you made these carefully (In Fallout 3 you can wait a few days and all is forgiven).
  • The culmination of the PC's actions and how they affected each of the towns (non existent in FO3 from what I've read).
  • Combat (my favorite), Fallout had a turn in which you could optionally choose to spend a bit more for an aimed shot (Fallout 3 has only that aimed shot and no other options).

Edited by Gizmo

Eh, the differences between the ES character sheets and the Fallout 3 system is rather gigantic. I've never thought the ES class creation and leveling systems were all that inspired. They were open ended and functional and that was about it.

Fallout 3 implemented SPECIAL and I found it much more rewarding. A few of the traits were particularly inspired. I saw it as a pretty radical jump for Bethesda. Obviously there is room for improvement, and I think Obsidian will help progress the system, but I didn't see much of TES in it at all.

Eh, the differences between the ES character sheets and the Fallout 3 system is rather gigantic. I've never thought the ES class creation and leveling systems were all that inspired. They were open ended and functional and that was about it.

Fallout 3 implemented SPECIAL and I found it much more rewarding. A few of the traits were particularly inspired. I saw it as a pretty radical jump for Bethesda. Obviously there is room for improvement, and I think Obsidian will help progress the system, but I didn't see much of TES in it at all.

No? I saw several TES parallels in just the first

Edited by Gizmo

Part of my initial reaction to FO3 was amazement that it wasn't so nearly as horrific as Oblivion. But it doesn't take long before all the annoying Bethesda design tendencies begin to show up. Still, I thought it was all right. I just think and hope there is room for big improvement with Obsidian taking over. Mostly in the writing, characters, and choice and consequence.

Notice how I can belittle your beliefs without calling you names. It's a useful skill to have particularly where you aren't allowed to call people names. It's a mistake to get too drawn in/worked up. I mean it's not life or death, it's just two guys posting their thoughts on a message board. If it were personal or face to face all the usual restraints would be in place, and we would never have reached this place in the first place. Try to remember that.

No? I saw several TES parallels in just the first
Notice how I can belittle your beliefs without calling you names. It's a useful skill to have particularly where you aren't allowed to call people names. It's a mistake to get too drawn in/worked up. I mean it's not life or death, it's just two guys posting their thoughts on a message board. If it were personal or face to face all the usual restraints would be in place, and we would never have reached this place in the first place. Try to remember that.

I always assumed the codex being censored on the Bethesda boards had more to do with their general attitude and vulgarity. Unless everyone who gave Oblivion a bad review is banned there then that excuse is nonsense.

Sorry, that answer can't possibly be right... no references to how evil, corrupt, moronic, etc. Bethesda is.

This thread is like being back at the Beth forums. I fully expect Gatt9 to roll in in a few days and continuously exclaim that FO3 was a failure because it only sold 3.67+ million units. :)