Stealth

Not much has been revealed about the stealth system thus far, but please, please, PLEASE make it better than most RPG stealth systems. I don't want to turn invisible and walk around having to pretend that I'm sneaking, I want to actually have to sneak. This is an espionage game, after all.

"The universe is a yawning chasm, filled with emptiness and the puerile meanderings of sentience..." - Ulyaoth

"It is all that is left unsaid upon which tragedies are built." - Kreia

"I thought this forum was for Speculation & Discussion, not Speculation & Calling People Trolls." - lord of flies

I dislike the idea of "stealth modes" in general. Stealth should be integrated into the gameplay.

"The universe is a yawning chasm, filled with emptiness and the puerile meanderings of sentience..." - Ulyaoth

"I thought this forum was for Speculation & Discussion, not Speculation & Calling People Trolls." - lord of flies

I dislike the idea of "stealth modes" in general. Stealth should be integrated into the gameplay.

What do you mean by this? Take hiding in shadows in both Thief or Splinter Cell for example, would you classify this as a "stealth mode" or is it stealth that is integrated into the gameplay? How about being hidden in plain sight depending on what you're doing, in the Hitman series?

I don't really get "pretending" to sneak.

Edited by Hell Kitty

What do you mean by this? Take hiding in shadows in both Thief or Splinter Cell for example, would you classify this as a "stealth mode" or is it stealth that is integrated into the gameplay? How about being hidden in plain sight depending on what you're doing, in the Hitman series?

I don't really get "pretending" to sneak.

Anything where you press a certain button and you get an effect that tells you you are "in stealth" is bad. Think KotOR.

KotOR is a classic d20 RPG and its "stealth button" works fine. But, I agree that in action-RPGs, stealth must be integrated into a gameplay. For example, something like stealth in Splinter Cell and Hitman would suit much better than Fallout 3 "stealth". I am sure that Obsidian developers are aware of this.

Anything where you press a certain button and you get an effect that tells you you are "in stealth" is bad. Think KotOR.

I getcha now, and I agree, RPG "stealth" is totally lame.

It's kinda like if a friend tells you about this totally awesome science fiction film you've gotta see, and then you find out it's actually a Sci Fi Channel Original.

In my opinion, stealth skill in AP should give you bonuses and some extra abilities. But, stealth should be based on gameplay (your skills and patience) and level design. Lockpicking and hacking should give you ability to pass through alternative paths.

• 4 weeks later...
In my opinion, stealth skill in AP should give you bonuses and some extra abilities. But, stealth should be based on gameplay (your skills and patience) and level design. Lockpicking and hacking should give you ability to pass through alternative paths.

that would be good if you could have it so if you stealth you improve stealth stats like lock picking and hacking and maybe pistol and smg stats and if you use a more gung-ho style then you impove stats like assault rifle ect

• 1 month later...

the stealth option in this game is a major reason i'm interested in it, but the one thing that worries me about it is that from what little video i've seen of any sort of 'stealth gameplay' the crouched walking/ movement animation is terrible! it looks so rediculous! he's just like bent over at the waist & his legs still seem straight. i hope thats just a placeholder animation.... ;)

Something tells me invisibility won't be in Thornton's arsenal . . .

EAT THOSE WORDS, YOU PIECE OF CRAP. EAT THEM. OH YEAH, CROW HAS BEEN SERVED! EAT UP, NOM NOM NOM NOM NOM

Hadescopy.jpg

(Approved by Fio, so feel free to use it)

Please tell me invisibility is a really high level ability.

"Alright, I've been thinking. When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade - make life take the lemons back! Get mad! I don't want your damn lemons, what am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life's manager. Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons. Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! With the lemons. I'm going to to get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that burns your house down!"

Please tell me invisibility is a really high level ability.

That's what it seems to be. It's not a HAY I GO INVISIBLE ENTIRE TIME type thing. I'm still hopeful for stealth gameplay.

Plus, the duration looked fairly short relative to the cooldown.

I didn't expect a Thief light gem & detection mechanism kind of system, given that it's only one of the many focuses in the game... but surely they could have gone with an Oblivion style stealth at least, as opposed to, well, basically taking FO3's Stealth Boy.

It may be short but it's long enough for you to 'jump' over the LOS zone of the guard, as the trailer demonstrated in the very first usage.

I didn't expect a Thief light gem & detection mechanism kind of system, given that it's only one of the many focuses in the game... but surely they could have gone with an Oblivion style stealth at least, as opposed to, well, basically taking FO3's Stealth Boy.

It may be short but it's long enough for you to 'jump' over the LOS zone of the guard, as the trailer demonstrated in the very first usage.

Oh, lame. That's not stealth.

It's lame stealth.

"Alright, I've been thinking. When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade - make life take the lemons back! Get mad! I don't want your damn lemons, what am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life's manager. Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons. Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! With the lemons. I'm going to to get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that burns your house down!"

Good stealth isn't so much about a character's abilities, but rather about AI awareness. To have interesting stealth gameplay, AP's AI has to see and hear realistically, and react appropriately to the player and other AIs around it.

With stealth in mind, how will sound propagation work in AP?

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

I didn't expect a Thief light gem & detection mechanism kind of system...

Why not? It IS a spy game after all, I'd consider stealth to be a pretty important factor in the gameplay! It doesn't have to look the same (GUI), but hopefully the underlying system is equally good.

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

Don't get me wrong, I'd have loved it, but I've long since had the impression that AP devs felt they had so many other things on the plate, they wouldn't be able to invest enough time and resources to craft stealth that's significantly more stealthy than, well, FO3.

I make a point of regularly playing a stealth character and testing levels using stealth. I can honestly say, there are a lot of fun moments creeping around picking off enemies one-by-one.

AP stealth is pretty sensible. If you're running around, people will hear you. If you're shooting, people hear you. You'll want to make good use of cover, stay low, and be quiet. Timing is key to the stealth game.

AP stealth is pretty sensible. If you're running around, people will hear you. If you're shooting, people hear you. You'll want to make good use of cover, stay low, and be quiet. Timing is key to the stealth game.

You also mean you're heard when you're invisible, right? Does the ability cool down time ever become so low that it allows you to spam it a bunch of times?

Dragonblade of the Obsidian Order

No sleep for the Watcher