EA Admits 'We Didn't Make Hits' in 2008

TheHarlequin

Sorry, hasn't happened yet.

"Alright, I've been thinking. When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade - make life take the lemons back! Get mad! I don't want your damn lemons, what am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life's manager. Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons. Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! With the lemons. I'm going to to get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that burns your house down!"

O RLY? They mad eno hits in 2008? I didn't know Madden 2009 and its millions of sales was considered a bomb? LMAOATWTKKUYADYTATWBA

Agreed - the sales expectations of publishers are getting increasingly unrealistic (witness well over two million sales of Prince of Persia in about six weeks being called a 'slow starter' by Ubisoft - my eyes nearly popped out when I read that).

Well, I guess the publishers have to have such exaggerated expectations given the enormous overhead they are creating through massive advertising campaigns and such.

A RPG is a RPG.

We are talking sports, not a RPG. There is no story in football.

That's a pretty ridiculous statement.

Most sports games I play go like this:

I create a character. I customize the avatar, I select certain skills, and then I begin playing. At first I have training exercises, or I play against easier teams. Eventually my skills go up and I face more challenging opposition. I try to accomplish certain tasks like winning awards, and if I do well I will win the game eventually.

How is that not an RPG? Is it because I didn't fight a dragon?

That certainly sounds like an CRPG to me. It's not a type of RPG that is my preferred flavor, but it certainly follows the CRPG model and I would not hesitate to classify it as such if sports games were not considered a separate category entirely.

Geez, I think advertising is one of the first places they should make cuts.

Agreed!

They should also remove the annoying DRM from their games... I don't buy their games because of it and I am sure many people have reacted in a similar way...

I too no longer buy EA's games because of their DRM, but I don't think our numbers (those not buying these games based on DRM) are very significant. Still, they actually have to pay Sony for the DRM they use on their games. What an utter and ineffectual waste of money in this tough economy! This is an area where they could gain customers by saving money. :)

"They do get better and have some pretty neat features, but I can't see why someone would buy one every single year."

The answer to this should be obvious.

First off, sports games have evolved quite a bit since their first entry into video games. Probably way more than any RPG. Secondly, it's called being a fan. All one has to do is play NHL 08, and NHL 09 and depsite the fact those games are pretty similiar they also have some massive differences in gameplay. Let alone the two new big features 09 brought to the table.

Here's a fact about newer sports games: STATS MATTER.

I remember when EA first introduced season play for their NHL series. It was considered OMG. Now, if a hockey game didn't have that, at minimum, there'd be obvious.

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

Sorry, hasn't happened yet.

You'll get to High School someday big guy. :)

I'm afraid the Qu

"Alright, I've been thinking. When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade - make life take the lemons back! Get mad! I don't want your damn lemons, what am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life's manager. Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons. Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! With the lemons. I'm going to to get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that burns your house down!"

"EA wouldn't know what a hit was even if it slapped them in the face. Like parasites they have to assimilate other companies, companies that have had hits in order to ride on their coat tails"

Nonsensical. EA got big enough to buy other companies BECAUSE they made hits enough in order to do so. It's not like EA appeared out of thin air. Those other companies - including BIO - ar epunks who don't deserve to exist and therefore are bought out because they are no longer good enough to stay open by themselves.

:) Volo, Volo! :sorcerer: So funny. You just trashed your most favorite of companies, Bioware.

EA, what hits? None. A few console sports games and that is about all they are known for, besides being a parasite of course.

2010spaceships.jpg

Hades was the life of the party. RIP You'll be missed.

I may be taking a stab in the dark here, but I'm guessing the people who feel the need to trash talk sports games were beaten up by jocks in High School.

Lolz. Or maybe we think they're boring and dull. :)

"Geez. It's like we lost some sort of bet and ended up saddled with a bunch of terrible new posters on this forum."

-Hurlshot

I may be taking a stab in the dark here, but I'm guessing the people who feel the need to trash talk sports games were beaten up by jocks in High School.

I am not hating sports, i for example loved High Heat Baseball series untill they ****ed it up with making PC version looking the same as PC version, HHB2003 is one of the best Baseball i played, but buying something every year and from EA... no thanks i rather buy more inovative game...

Edited by Mamoulian War

Sent from my Stone Tablet, using Chisel-a-Talk 2000BC.

My youtube channel: MamoulianFH
Latest Let's Play Tales of Arise (completed)
Latest Bossfight Compilation Dark Souls Remastered - New Game (completed)

Let's Play/AAR Europa Universalis 1: Austria Grand Campaign (completed)
Let's Play/AAR Europa Universalis 2: Xhosa Grand Campaign (completed)
My PS Platinums and 100% - 29 games so far (my PSN profile)

1) God of War III - PS3 - 24+ hours

2) Final Fantasy XIII - PS3 - 130+ hours

3) White Knight Chronicles International Edition - PS3 - 525+ hours

4) Hyperdimension Neptunia - PS3 - 80+ hours

5) Final Fantasy XIII-2 - PS3 - 200+ hours

6) Tales of Xillia - PS3 - 135+ hours

7) Hyperdimension Neptunia mk2 - PS3 - 152+ hours

8.) Grand Turismo 6 - PS3 - 81+ hours (including Senna Master DLC)

9) Demon's Souls - PS3 - 197+ hours

10) Tales of Graces f - PS3 - 337+ hours

11) Star Ocean: The Last Hope International - PS3 - 750+ hours

12) Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII - PS3 - 127+ hours

13) Soulcalibur V - PS3 - 73+ hours

14) Gran Turismo 5 - PS3 - 600+ hours

15) Tales of Xillia 2 - PS3 - 302+ hours

16) Mortal Kombat XL - PS4 - 95+ hours

17) Project CARS Game of the Year Edition - PS4 - 120+ hours

18) Dark Souls - PS3 - 197+ hours

19) Hyperdimension Neptunia Victory - PS3 - 238+ hours

20) Final Fantasy Type-0 - PS4 - 58+ hours

21) Journey - PS4 - 9+ hours

22) Dark Souls II - PS3 - 210+ hours

23) Fairy Fencer F - PS3 - 215+ hours

24) Megadimension Neptunia VII - PS4 - 160 hours

25) Super Neptunia RPG - PS4 - 44+ hours

26) Journey - PS3 - 22+ hours

27) Final Fantasy XV - PS4 - 263+ hours (including all DLCs)

28) Tales of Arise - PS4 - 111+ hours

29) Dark Souls: Remastered - PS4 - 121+ hours

I am not hating sports, i for example loved High Heat Baseball series untill they ****ed it up with making PC version looking the same as PC version

Yes, the PC version should look the same as the PC version... >_<

"no thanks i rather buy more inovative game..."

Sports games - espicially EA ones - are amongst the most innovative of any genre of game. No doubt about it.

Sure. Football is football. If they were going to be innovativbe they could put in landmines, full contact naked coed football, or even bikini clad orcs and trolls trying to grab a greased pig.

"Your Job is not to die for your country, but set a man on fire, and take great comfort in the general hostility and unfairness of the universe."

Sure. Football is football. If they were going to be innovativbe they could put in landmines, full contact naked coed football, or even bikini clad orcs and trolls trying to grab a greased pig.

Didn't they make this game for the SNES? Without the naked coeds though.

Bikini Coed Full Contact Football sounds like a great game though.

"no thanks i rather buy more inovative game..."

Sports games - espicially EA ones - are amongst the most innovative of any genre of game. No doubt about it.

Yeah real innovative. Sports games LOLZ!

2010spaceships.jpg

Hades was the life of the party. RIP You'll be missed.

Just a few unlogical posts to post in here. :thumbsup:

EA back in the days had some really good console games. But when it came for the computer most of the games as I remembered had problems. So me and EA never really hit it off. I'm talking the days of Commodore and such. But when sports games were a dime a dozen, EA rose and came out on top. For many sport fans it was a dream come true for them. Not everybody will get into it like many don't uderstand RPG's and or first player shooters. But let's not beat our chest or friends in here just to prove a ......what was the topic in here again?

Yes I'm goofing off in here but let's keep the peace.

EA really should do some soul searching as to why things aren't clicking. All companies now a days should do that. Once they truly talk to us and or let us tell them what we really want, I think then more and more better games will come out. But that will mean few and far between. Thus why updates and such are taking longer than before. They are listening to us. Sometimes too much.

I want to see more Dungeons & Dragons titles or like type games. A better Star Wars game would be great too. I'm sure we all can list a lot in here. But when we take it to EA and not each other on this board, I think we can at least point them in the right direction.

My ramblings are now finished. You may remove your earplugs and eye masks now. :lol:

Solo is not a myth to evil.

But a nighmare to the evil of the lands.

Ranger Lord Solo