Any good games coming out?

Gorth

All three Fallout games are also on Gametap. I think the first one is free. I should grab Tactics and play it again.

Tactics get's a bad rap, as a tactical strategy game it's pretty fun. It's clearly not a Fallout 1/2-type RPG, so they shouldn't be compared on that level. Sure the story was pretty bad, but it was never really about the story.

I always wanted to start out as a Deathclaw, is this possible?

Edited by Purkake

My problem with Tactics was that the combat was never as quite good as other games in its TBS genre. Also, I hated that they removed the hex grid.

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

My problem with Tactics was that the combat was never as quite good as other games in its TBS genre. Also, I hated that they removed the hex grid.

It didn't feel like a full-on strategy game, but I feel that the RPG aspects made up for it.

I always enjoyed Tactics, although, even though I played it several times, I never actually finished it. The last series of misisons was such a tedious grind that I always gave up.

The early missions are the most fun, and it tends to go steadily downhill.

My biggest problems with the game is that many of the maps, and almost all of the maps in the second half, are mazes: there is only one way through and you've gotta grind out every bit of the way. It always ended up feeling more like Gauntlet with machine guns and rocket launchers rather than a tactical combat game. I also disliked the way the missions are grouped by enemy; it ends up feeling a bit mechanical.

But still, pretty solid overall.

Notice how I can belittle your beliefs without calling you names. It's a useful skill to have particularly where you aren't allowed to call people names. It's a mistake to get too drawn in/worked up. I mean it's not life or death, it's just two guys posting their thoughts on a message board. If it were personal or face to face all the usual restraints would be in place, and we would never have reached this place in the first place. Try to remember that.

Tactics was good. The thing that annoyed me the most about it was the random encounters on the world map. You couldn't even go a square away from your starting point without being asked if you wanted to go to X encounter.

War is Peace, Freedom is Slavery, Ignorance is Strength

Baldur's Gate modding
TeamBG
Baldur's Gate modder/community leader
Baldur's Gate - Enhanced Edition beta tester
Baldur's Gate 2 - Enhanced Edition beta tester

Icewind Dale - Enhanced Edition beta tester

Tactics was good. The thing that annoyed me the most about it was the random encounters on the world map. You couldn't even go a square away from your starting point without being asked if you wanted to go to X encounter.

If you have a vehicle you can escape pretty easily or just snipe them from your car/tank also there are so many awesome special encounters.

Finally finished Shivering Isles, so time to look for new games. Planescape Purgatorio demo and Mysteries of Westgate NWN2 mods coming out in the next few days, then there's Velvet Assassin which could be interesting, will have to read the reviews, both Op Flashpoint 2 and Arma 2 coming out Spring-Summer, look good so far, Batman: Arkham Asylum looks interesting, then Wolfenstein!, probably get IL2 Sturmovik as well, and in the fall of course AP and DAO hopefully, and may be even AOD! So for the first time in a very long time this year could be really good for games.

"Moral indignation is a standard strategy for endowing the idiot with dignity." Marshall McLuhan

Finally finished Shivering Isles, so time to look for new games. Planescape Purgatorio demo and Mysteries of Westgate NWN2 mods coming out in the next few days, then there's Velvet Assassin which could be interesting, will have to read the reviews, both Op Flashpoint 2 and Arma 2 coming out Spring-Summer, look good so far, Batman: Arkham Asylum looks interesting, then Wolfenstein!, probably get IL2 Sturmovik as well, and in the fall of course AP and DAO hopefully, and may be even AOD! So for the first time in a very long time this year could be really good for games.

Back that truck up! Purgatorio demo is coming out? I want some of that Planescape goodness NOW ;)

Overlord2 is supposedly coming out this year. I can't wait. Yes, the first was a silly, irreverent game w/not much replay value, but I still loved it. Plus it was one of the few games my not-a-big-gamer husband has liked/played in a while. I loved beating up hubby's minions while he mumbled excuses under his breath. Heheh.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts