NFL Season 2009

Kelverin

Stinkin Bucs. I'm too frustrated to even rant. It just sucks.

Volo, I think you might be in trouble. I count eight wrong just as things stand now. So far Enoch is looking like the winner this week.

Wow, what a finish to the Vikes Ravens game. And I think it's safe to say the Saints are for real.

Can you believe I actually watched a UFL game from start to finish? Yep, I watched the delay broadcast of the Redwoods/Sentinels game at 2 this morning. Sloppy, sloppy game play and very ugly uniforms. But is was intersting and there were a lot of "so thats where that guy ended up" moments. I doesn't make sense though, this league was supposed to be in underserved markets like Orlando and Las Vegas. Why the heck did they put teams in San Fransisco and New York, two markets with four NFL teams each? Sacramento and Memphis would have made more sense.

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

Does Sacramento have a Stadium? I'm guessing it comes down to costs and market research.

But it will still probably collapse. XFL part two!

Dunno about Sacramento, I just threw that out there as a city likely to support a team with no other pro sport.

As for the UFLs long term prospects, who knows. I think it can succeed if it does five things:

1. Do not antangonize the NFL. Do not go after NFL advertisers, compete with the NFL for broadcast time, aggesively pursue NFL free agents. They can not help but lose. The NFL casts off legions of players every year, those are the ones you build your teams with.

2. Do not exepect or plan on TV revenue in your business model, focus on attendance and local marketing (local indepedent broadcasts coupled with cable deals with a network like VS or Fox Sports. Offer games for free (with commercials) on the internet until the brand grows. Radio (including satellite/internet radio) is a must as well.

3. Keep control over your franchises and their business models. Let the league own the teams because an owners interests are not always the leagues interests. This will also keep salaries under control (that is what killed the Arena League).

4. Stay within your scope while you grow your brand. They should be locating in midsize cities that have no other pro sports like Memphis, Birmingham, Oklahoma City, etc. they should target cities with a fair standard of living and basic necessities are not too expensive. Not San Fransisco where everything is expensive and if you do have money for a game, you are going to see the 49ers or Raiders. Keep the tickets cheap and make deals for families and activities for kids and for Gods sake, outreach, outreach outreach. Get the team and players out in the community, sponsor little leagues, charity drives etc. Make the team part of the community. Minor League baseball does this very well.

5. Respect the game and your brand. The XFL wanted to be NFL meets Pro Wrestling. The result was an utter abortion.

Basicly follow the AFL model from the 60's and 70's.

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

I agree with all those. There is definitely room for development leagues in football, it seems like Canada and Europe have done well enough. I guess time will tell.

Actually after browsing their website it looks like the UFL is actually doing 3.5 of the five things I suggested. The best part is the free game video on the internet. I always thought it was low class by the NFL charging what the do for that. MLB too.

www.getufl.com

Thomas Sowell

"I always thought it was low class by the NFL charging what the do for that. MLB too."

Low class is expecting everything to be free, and handed to you. These ar ebusiness. They are supposed to be making money. That's how they keep in business. NFL didn't get to be a big shot by giving freebies to selfish, greedy, arrogant customers who think they should get entertainment for free, and have NFL pay for it.

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

"I always thought it was low class by the NFL charging what the do for that. MLB too."

Low class is expecting everything to be free, and handed to you. These ar ebusiness. They are supposed to be making money. That's how they keep in business. NFL didn't get to be a big shot by giving freebies to selfish, greedy, arrogant customers who think they should get entertainment for free, and have NFL pay for it.

I don't expect it to be free but $50 for streaming audio via the internet especially when it's not live is a little unreasonable. It's even more for the MLB audio. It is not delayed at least.

Thomas Sowell

This weeks results:

Kelverin: 8-6

Enoch: 8-6

GD: 8-6

Volo: 3-11 (ouch)

Season Standings

GD: 60-30

Volo: 60-30

Kelverin: 57-33

Enoch: 54-36

Thomas Sowell

One thing is for sure, the season race between the four of us got tight pretty quick. Volo had a big lead and it vanished in one week.

Thomas Sowell

The NFL doesn't do streaming online video because their contracts with the TV networks won't let them.

And I believe their deal with Siruis is why they have a delay on internet audio. At least I can't imagine any other reason.

Thomas Sowell

Week 7

Sunday, October 25 early games

* Green Bay (3-2, win) at Cleveland (1-5, loss)

* San Diego (2-3, 2 loss) at Kansas City (1-5, win)

* Indianapolis (5-0, bye) at St. Louis (0-6)

* Minnesota (6-0) at Pittsburgh (4-2, 3 win)

* New England (4-2, win) at Tampa Bay (0-6)

* SF 49ers (3-2, loss, bye) at Houston (3-3, win)

Sunday, October 25 late games

* Buffalo (2-4, win) at Carolina (2-3, 2 win)

* NY Jets (3-3, 3 loss) at Oakland (2-4, win)

* Atlanta (4-1, 2 win) at Dallas (3-2, win, bye)

* Chicago (3-2, loss) at Cincinnati (4-2, loss)

* New Orleans (5-0) at Miami (2-3, 2 win, bye)

* Arizona (3-2, 2 win) at NY Giants (5-1, loss)

Monday, October 26

* Philadelphia (3-2, loss) at Washington (2-4, 2 loss)

Bye week: Denver, Detroit, Tennessee, Seattle, Jacksonville, Baltimore

Week 7

Green Bay at Cleveland: GB

San Diego at Kansas City: SD

Indianapolis at St. Louis: INDY

Minnesota at Pittsburgh: .... .... ..... .... ... MIN

New England at Tampa Bay: NE

SF 49ers at Houston: SF

Buffalo at Carolina: CAR

NY Jets at Oakland: NYJ

Atlanta at Dallas: DAL

Chicago at Cincinnati: CHI

New Orleans at Miami: NO

Arizona at NY Giants: NYG

Philadelphia at Washington: PHI

Green Bay at Cleveland: Packers have a lot of question marks, Brown have a hell of a lot more. Packers win

San Diego at Kansas City: Weather will be a factor. Chiefs win.

Indianapolis at St. Louis: An unusually long scrimmage for Indy today. Colts win

Minnesota at Pittsburgh: Once again weather will be a factor. Big Ben will be a bigger factor. Steelers win.

New England at Tampa Bay: Hey Coach Morris, what is this hand basket we're in and where are we going? Pats win.

SF 49ers at Houston: This game will come down to QBs, and Schaub is better. Texans win close

Buffalo at Carolina: This one could go either way but Carolinas O is better and the Bills D. Panthers win

NY Jets at Oakland: If the Jets lose this one they had better stay in Oakland, a lynch mob will be waiting at JFK. Jets win

Atlanta at Dallas: Cowboys are a paper tiger. Falcons win.

Chicago at Cincinnati: Cincy screwed me last week but I'll give them another chance. Begals win.

New Orleans at Miami: Only a real gambler would vote against the Saints right now. So I'm a gambler! Dolphins win!

Arizona at NY Giants: If this were in Tempe I might go the other way. In New Jersey the Cards are dead. Giants win.

Philadelphia at Washington: Go Redskins. Eagles win.

Thomas Sowell

Indianapolis at St. Louis: IND

Minnesota at Pittsburgh: MIN

SF 49ers at Houston: HOU

NY Jets at Oakland: NYJ

Atlanta at Dallas: ATL

Chicago at Cincinnati: CHI

New Orleans at Miami: NO

Indianapolis at St. Louis: INDY

Minnesota at Pittsburgh: Pittsburgh

SF 49ers at Houston: Houston

NY Jets at Oakland: Oakland

Atlanta at Dallas: DAL

Chicago at Cincinnati: Cincinnati

New Orleans at Miami: Miami

This weeks results:

Kelverin: 10-3

Volo: 10-3

Enoch: 8-5

GD: 8-5

Season Standings:

Volo: 70-33

GD: 68-35

Kelverin: 67-36

Enoch: 62-41

Volo is alone in front again.

Thomas Sowell

Sunday, November 1 early games

* Houston (4-3, 2 win) at Buffalo (3-4, 2 win)

* Cleveland (1-6, 2 loss) at Chicago (3-3, 2 loss)

* Seattle (2-4, loss, bye) at Dallas (4-2, 2 win)

* St. Louis (0-7) at Detroit (1-5, 3 loss, bye)

* Denver (6-0, bye) at Baltimore (3-3, 3 loss, bye)

* SF 49ers (3-3, 2 loss) at Indianapolis (6-0)

* Miami (2-4, loss) at NY Jets (4-3, win)

* NY Giants (5-2, 2 loss) at Philadelphia (4-2, win)

Sunday, November 1 late games

* Jacksonville (3-3, win, bye) at Tennessee (0-6, bye)

* Oakland (2-5, loss) at San Diego (3-3, win)

* Carolina (2-4, loss) at Arizona (4-2, 3 win)

* Minnesota (6-1, loss) at Green Bay (4-2, 2 win)

Monday, November 2

* Atlanta (4-2, loss) at New Orleans (6-0)

Bye week: Cincinnati, Kansas City, New England, Pittsburgh, Tampa Bay, Washington

Buffalo

Chicago - Which Cutler shows up today? The good one, which has more to do with the competition than anything else.

Dallas - The home team is over rated as is their division but the seahawks are to banged up to provide much competition.

Detroit

Bmore - broncos lose for the first time this year

Indianapolis

Miami - I should pick the Jets, but I'll take the healthier squad

NY Giants - Can't see the gmen losing 3 in a row

Jacksonville - Still not picking Tenn until they win

San Diego - We are going to rough this team up.

Arizona

Minnesota - Old man tears it up and wins it, although it will have more to do with Adrian and the fierce pass rush than #4

New Orleans - rolls at home.

HOU at BUF: BUF

CLE at CHI: CHI

SEA at DAL: DAL

DEN at BAL: BAL

SF at INDY: INDY

MIA at NYJ: NYJ

NYG at PHI: NYG

JAX at TEN: TEN

OAK at SD: SF

CAR at ARI: ARI

MIN at GB: MIN

AT at NO: NO