Dante's Inferno

Purkake

I'm indifferent, but I bet if it was CD Projekt doing the same thing, you guys would be waxing rhapsodic. :aiee:

Why would that be the case? The Witcher gets blasted a lot on these boards for its failings and stupidities, even by people like myself who think that overall it is a fine game.

I must have missed all that blasting then.

Maybe blasting is a bit much. :p

Notice how I can belittle your beliefs without calling you names. It's a useful skill to have particularly where you aren't allowed to call people names. It's a mistake to get too drawn in/worked up. I mean it's not life or death, it's just two guys posting their thoughts on a message board. If it were personal or face to face all the usual restraints would be in place, and we would never have reached this place in the first place. Try to remember that.

@Malcador: I only hate Bioshock, but some people are more opinionated...

@Slowtrain: No really, I don't remember anyone hating on Witcher. Not saying that it didn't happen, but if it did I totally missed it.

Edited by Purkake

@Slowtrain: No really, I don't remember anyone hating on Witcher. Not saying that it didn't happen, but if it did I totally missed it.

The grinding, the somewhat opaque narrative, the arguable misogony, the simplistic combat, the difficult inventory system. They've all been brought up at various times, and they are all good points, I think.

Notice how I can belittle your beliefs without calling you names. It's a useful skill to have particularly where you aren't allowed to call people names. It's a mistake to get too drawn in/worked up. I mean it's not life or death, it's just two guys posting their thoughts on a message board. If it were personal or face to face all the usual restraints would be in place, and we would never have reached this place in the first place. Try to remember that.

At least the last has been fixed in a satisfying manner with the last patch.

Its definitely better. Though I don't know if I would use the word "fixed" >_<

It's not about who's doing it, but how badly they're mangling the original concept/setting/story.

yay i think this is the 1st post, where i fully agrre with you :lol:

Sent from my Stone Tablet, using Chisel-a-Talk 2000BC.

My youtube channel: MamoulianFH
Latest Let's Play Tales of Arise (completed)
Latest Bossfight Compilation Dark Souls Remastered - New Game (completed)

Let's Play/AAR Europa Universalis 1: Austria Grand Campaign (completed)
Let's Play/AAR Europa Universalis 2: Xhosa Grand Campaign (completed)
My PS Platinums and 100% - 29 games so far (my PSN profile)

1) God of War III - PS3 - 24+ hours

2) Final Fantasy XIII - PS3 - 130+ hours

3) White Knight Chronicles International Edition - PS3 - 525+ hours

4) Hyperdimension Neptunia - PS3 - 80+ hours

5) Final Fantasy XIII-2 - PS3 - 200+ hours

6) Tales of Xillia - PS3 - 135+ hours

7) Hyperdimension Neptunia mk2 - PS3 - 152+ hours

8.) Grand Turismo 6 - PS3 - 81+ hours (including Senna Master DLC)

9) Demon's Souls - PS3 - 197+ hours

10) Tales of Graces f - PS3 - 337+ hours

11) Star Ocean: The Last Hope International - PS3 - 750+ hours

12) Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII - PS3 - 127+ hours

13) Soulcalibur V - PS3 - 73+ hours

14) Gran Turismo 5 - PS3 - 600+ hours

15) Tales of Xillia 2 - PS3 - 302+ hours

16) Mortal Kombat XL - PS4 - 95+ hours

17) Project CARS Game of the Year Edition - PS4 - 120+ hours

18) Dark Souls - PS3 - 197+ hours

19) Hyperdimension Neptunia Victory - PS3 - 238+ hours

20) Final Fantasy Type-0 - PS4 - 58+ hours

21) Journey - PS4 - 9+ hours

22) Dark Souls II - PS3 - 210+ hours

23) Fairy Fencer F - PS3 - 215+ hours

24) Megadimension Neptunia VII - PS4 - 160 hours

25) Super Neptunia RPG - PS4 - 44+ hours

26) Journey - PS3 - 22+ hours

27) Final Fantasy XV - PS4 - 263+ hours (including all DLCs)

28) Tales of Arise - PS4 - 111+ hours

29) Dark Souls: Remastered - PS4 - 121+ hours

• 2 weeks later...

It got 6/10 on Eurogamer: http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/dantes-inferno-review

"Basing your game on a 14th century poem set in Hell has certain advantages. For starters, you don't have to pay copyright fees or worry about the author of the source material complaining you've bastardised his work. In fact you don't have to worry about anyone complaining as only 27 people in the world have bothered to read the thing, and half of them are lying."

That's the exact thought I got from reading this thread. Faked nerd rage over a book they don't give a **** about, has never read, but keeps pretending to have read to look intelligent. "They're slaughtering this masterpiece about.. uh a dude. Who goes to hell. Or something. No matter. Indignation! This will be Dante's in name only!".

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

Sorry to burst your bubble, but books from Divine Comedy are mandatory reading in our Secondary Grammar Schools... At least they were when I was 14... So go insult someone else about their classic illiteracy.

Sent from my Stone Tablet, using Chisel-a-Talk 2000BC.

My youtube channel: MamoulianFH
Latest Let's Play Tales of Arise (completed)
Latest Bossfight Compilation Dark Souls Remastered - New Game (completed)

Let's Play/AAR Europa Universalis 1: Austria Grand Campaign (completed)
Let's Play/AAR Europa Universalis 2: Xhosa Grand Campaign (completed)
My PS Platinums and 100% - 29 games so far (my PSN profile)

1) God of War III - PS3 - 24+ hours

2) Final Fantasy XIII - PS3 - 130+ hours

3) White Knight Chronicles International Edition - PS3 - 525+ hours

4) Hyperdimension Neptunia - PS3 - 80+ hours

5) Final Fantasy XIII-2 - PS3 - 200+ hours

6) Tales of Xillia - PS3 - 135+ hours

7) Hyperdimension Neptunia mk2 - PS3 - 152+ hours

8.) Grand Turismo 6 - PS3 - 81+ hours (including Senna Master DLC)

9) Demon's Souls - PS3 - 197+ hours

10) Tales of Graces f - PS3 - 337+ hours

11) Star Ocean: The Last Hope International - PS3 - 750+ hours

12) Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII - PS3 - 127+ hours

13) Soulcalibur V - PS3 - 73+ hours

14) Gran Turismo 5 - PS3 - 600+ hours

15) Tales of Xillia 2 - PS3 - 302+ hours

16) Mortal Kombat XL - PS4 - 95+ hours

17) Project CARS Game of the Year Edition - PS4 - 120+ hours

18) Dark Souls - PS3 - 197+ hours

19) Hyperdimension Neptunia Victory - PS3 - 238+ hours

20) Final Fantasy Type-0 - PS4 - 58+ hours

21) Journey - PS4 - 9+ hours

22) Dark Souls II - PS3 - 210+ hours

23) Fairy Fencer F - PS3 - 215+ hours

24) Megadimension Neptunia VII - PS4 - 160 hours

25) Super Neptunia RPG - PS4 - 44+ hours

26) Journey - PS3 - 22+ hours

27) Final Fantasy XV - PS4 - 263+ hours (including all DLCs)

28) Tales of Arise - PS4 - 111+ hours

29) Dark Souls: Remastered - PS4 - 121+ hours

So you were forced to read it when you were 14? Then I'm sure you're genuinely disturbed that they've turned it into a video game with ****! Seriously..

I bet my left nut that more people in the world have read and will read Divine Comedy than will ever play this game. It's one of those books which were written so that the word "classic" would not go unused.

kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

It has made me the man I am today. A man who craves furry hentai.

So let us go and embrace the rustling smells of unseen worlds

Speaking for myself, I have read Inferno, but not Purgatorio or Paradiso. Read it in college, thought it was hilarious how the rest of the class thought it was about Christianity when the majority of the named damned were Dante's political enemies or allies of the French pope. Inferno, at least, is a political assassination piece, not a religious piece.

It's less about them ruining a literary masterpiece and more about them totally misrepresenting the source material while claiming to "bring the literary masterpiece to the new generation".

This is pretty much the same as someone making a movie based on a book and getting it totally wrong.

I'm indifferent, but I bet if it was CD Projekt doing the same thing, you guys would be waxing rhapsodic. :lol:

Why would that be the case? The Witcher gets blasted a lot on these boards for its failings and stupidities, even by people like myself who think that overall it is a fine game.

I must have missed all that blasting then.

Me too.

You're a cheery wee bugger, Nep. Have I ever said that?

ahyes.gifReapercussionsahyes.gif

Why would you have to have read the book to be bothered about their treatment of it ?

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

No book deserves an adaptation this ridiculous - classic literature or otherwise.

"Alright, I've been thinking. When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade - make life take the lemons back! Get mad! I don't want your damn lemons, what am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life's manager. Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons. Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! With the lemons. I'm going to to get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that burns your house down!"

That's the exact thought I got from reading this thread. Faked nerd rage over a book they don't give a **** about, has never read, but keeps pretending to have read to look intelligent.

Sorry, but your continued anti-crusade trying to tell everyone they're all hypocrits is more arrogant and baseless than any 'nerd rage whiner'. If you're jumping in everywhere telling people they're all liars, idiots and hypocrits without considering their arguments, you're about as far from 'balanced debate' as possible.

The irony is that for me, the game never looked that good. A solid fun game, but something that would have gone under the radar without the whole Dante business, neither a critically acclaimed title nor an AAA top-seller. You can't be sure, of course, but it was obviously a way to make a game live 'larger than life' - wonder if it will translate to sales?

Sorry, but your continued anti-crusade trying to tell everyone they're all hypocrits is more arrogant and baseless than any 'nerd rage whiner'. If you're jumping in everywhere telling people they're all liars, idiots and hypocrits without considering their arguments, you're about as far from 'balanced debate' as possible.

Arrogant, sure. Baseless? No. Read this awful thread.

Also, Mr Global Moderator, since when does me criticising a thread in general warrant you criticising me in particular? Sure, I'm up for that, it swings both ways, right? How about this: I think you're an awful moderator who lets your personal issues stain whatever it is you're doing for Obsidian. Your personal views reflects badly on this company, especially when you post irrelevant trolling like this above quoted post. Keep it to PM or restrain yourself in the future, you're only making yourself look unprofessional.

Also, the game does in no way look bad. The art design is actually quite good, the framerate is a solid 60 fps and apparently it's pretty imaginative in both level design and monster design. Had the writing, story and general 'style' (no naked boobs just for boobs sake, for example) been up to scratch, I think this could have been a winner.

The reasons why I am saying your arguments are arrogant and baseless should be pretty clear, even though you would obviously disagree. Being a mod is irrelevant to my opinions and I am free to argue that your repetitive criticisms appear to come from a biased and inflexible perspective. If you want to give a reasoned argument why all this Dante anger is much ado about nothing, go on ahead.

About the game itself, I think we're saying the same thing. Solid fun game. What I mean is that it was the Dante marketing that propelled it from 'another good shooter' to something with real notoriety and name recognition - which is why they're still pushing it.