The Great NWN2 Modding Thread

Tigranes

Using a lot of hakpaks and custom content on your first module is a surefire road to errors, big file sizes and tears,

Actually this is only true of custom content like added textures and creatures or animations. Some such as Rogue Daos lip flappers add a lot of immersion for just a few lines of code. On thing I've found is that if you are going to use several haks it makes sense to merge them into one. It seems to prevent a TON of trouble and is so much easier to do now with the ERF editor.

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

I have started on a rather simple module that aims to give players real choices. Currently I am working on building the maps and testing the transitions links between them. Most exterior area maps are linked and the player is free to explore them in any combination.

Map 1. Road to Wheaton. This map has an inn whose owners are desperatley seeking their missing son (the map also has a cave where the missing boy can be found, and a cave that is the lair of wolves) and a bandit that encourages the player to attack the innkeepers and take their gold (a Good and an Evil Quest - that provides the player with the opportunity to gain a good or evil follower) has transitions to a another road map that leads to Wheaton, a path to forests where hunters/poachers from the town of Sevieht can be encountered, and a path (Map 7) that leads up mountain gorges to mountain . The cave with the missing boy has tested out good so far, as the player must find the boy while avoiding the roving giant spider.

Map 2. Road continues. This map has links to the Grove of the Druids (with a temple for the Druids) and to town of Wheaton.

Map 3. Grove of the Druids contains a temple to the Druids. The Druids are helpful towards those that don't harm the animals of the forest (the animals are a fraction and the Druids are friendly to the animals) or cut down its trees. The druids ask for the players help in protecting the adjacent woods from woodcutters and hunters (who are from the Townn of Sevieht). There is a link to Map 2 and the Woods to the South (Map 5).

Map 4. Wheaton. The town of Wheaton is a source of intrigue. A spy from the Town of Sevieht atempts to lead the players into taking action against a temple of evil wizards (the Druids). The town has a problem with missing townspeople, taken by Goblins. Their are transitions from this map to Map 2, Map 7 The Path Up the Mountain, and Map 6. the Path to the Old Keep in the Swamp (Modeled after the keep from TOEE) that is inhabited by Bandits.

Map 5. Poachers in these woods can be convinced to joined the Players and attack the Temple of the Druids (Map 3). They can also be convinced to abandon the woods. If the players convince the poachers to leave they will find that the Druids are their Friends, and if the player joins with the poachers in attacking the Druidic Temple they can setup a bandit camp in alliance with the poachers at the Druidic Temple which will soon be attacked by goblins. Personally, I would rather be defending the Temple alongside the brave Druids than Cowardly poachers. It will be a really different battle depending on who the player is aligned with.

Map 7. Map 7 is a map of narrow twisting and turning gorges populated by Goblins, where goblins attack from ledges above the player. It leads to the Front entrance to the Black Castle, recently taken over by Priests of Orcus who are paying for Captive villagers whom they turn into the undead. This map also contains the entrance to the Goblin lair, and within the lair is a secret tunnel that leads to the Dungeons of Black Castle. Thus players have several ways to approach the castle - from the Front (the dangerous way) or by taking the Tunnel to the Castle's Basement. There is also a third way, approaching the castle from the rear and getting past the sleeping dragon - if they clear out the bandits from the abandoned keep.

That's a quick summary of my project's plans thus far.

Still focusing on fooling around with the toolset and getting my hands wet. 8x12 rural area with some hills, some trees, an inn maybe, and so forth. So hard to muster the motivation to get those non-playable squares down, but fog solves the problem. :lol: Think I'm doing decently.

If either of you have written anything else about NWN2 modding and/or your projects, point me in the right direction and I'll read that ASAP.

Well I have a big chunk, but I'll organise it into something more friendly then fire you a PM. It'd be a good test to see if it can hold your interest. Feel free to give me anything you've got, I always love reading this kind of stuff.

I've found is that if you are going to use several haks it makes sense to merge them into one.

Definitely. And thanks for those lip flappers - they'll be very handy.

EdwinP, sounds like you're keeping things simple, which allows a lot of variations within that limited area. I like the three different ways to reaching the Castle the most, I think. (Is there any payoff for charging in the front?)

Is there any payoff to charging in the Front? In fact, it will be most difficult to do it this way; unless the players are smart and don't rush in.

So far my plan includes;

a. Smart Way - Wearing a Cloak of the Order you bluff your way past the guards and archers at the gate. Of course, you need to obtain a cloak of the order first and wear it. Of course, wearing it in the sight of the wrong people will provoke them into attacking you / arresting you. (i.e. strolling about Wheaton Town or visiting the Druidic Grove wearing a cloak declaring yourself to be a member of an evil sect is not a good idea).

b. Achieve a really evil reputation and you are allowed passage into the Castle via the Front Gates to see the High Priest of the Order who will give you quests that threaten Wheaton. Of course, if you are this evil the forces of good will attack you on sight and once in the Castle you learn that the Priests ultimately intend to open a portal to the planes of the Undead. Such actions will threaten all lives, even your own as you learn from a talkative priest that some adventurers (that sound like you) will be sacrificed on the altar after they complete their tasks. The problem is that now, being of really evil reputation, you can't call on the forces of good to help you stop them.

c. Smart Way - invisibility

d. Brute Force Way 1 - You approach the gate while the shift if being changed and encounter twice the number of guards and a wizard is atop the battlements.

e. Brute Force Way 2 - You recruit the wrong people as companions and they turn on you while you are attacking the Castle Gates. (The Temple has spies in Wheaton - will probably have to ask the scripting forum at Bioware how to randomize which companion town guard character in Wheaton is a Spy, as it should ideally change from game to game - I.e. in game 1 Ratyar is the spy, and in Game 2 Giblert is the spy).

f. Brute Force Way 3 - You approach the gate during the day to face archers atop the battlements and guards at the gate.

g. Brute Force Way 4 - The gates are open and unguarded, however, it is a trap to lure travelers and adventurers into an ambush (if they don't send someone forward to scout the way ahead first).

Edited by EdwinP

Sounds good. :lol: One of the biggest drawbacks to giving players real choices, though, is the amount of scripting involved - it's easy when everyone stays the way they are and treats you the same way all game, but if you have them switch sides and whatnot managing all the variables and triggers can get headachy. Good luck though, it's been done before. :)

Really pissed with how the toolset won't let you 'tilt' placeables - without it I can't, say, have stuff floating in the water without them standing stock still.

Agreed. Though there are a few floating placeables in SoZ, but they're limited to a few boxes, some planks and dead bodies if I remember correctly (maybe the dead bodies were in MotB).

Single greatest placeable in SoZ? FLYING SEAGULLS! If they ever do more expansions, I'd loveto see more stuff like that. Animated placeables really help bring the areas to life. Also loved that butterfly placeable effect in MotB.

Edited by Starwars

Listen to my home-made recordings (some original songs, some not): http://www.youtube.c...low=grid&view=0

I have a question which has been asked over on the NWN2 boards several times and never answered. Hopefully I will have better luck here. In the Module Properties window there is an Expansion Flag variable. What should the number be for just MotB? Just SoZ? Both? Neither?

An answer would be greatly appreciated.

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

I think the number for just MOTB is 1, from memory. No idea for the others, and it kinda sucks to test this on your own. I don't have SOZ yet so you can try it with me, I suppose. Does it need to be set early to resolve issues?

Still writing down bits and pieces and fiddling with toolset for me. Eager to start once SOZ arrives (though that'll mean I'll have to blitz the campaign, first!)

Thanks Tig, it may come to that.

I was hoping that Josh, Joseph, or one of the others might answer this. It is their board after all.

Thomas Sowell

I have a question which has been asked over on the NWN2 boards several times and never answered. Hopefully I will have better luck here. In the Module Properties window there is an Expansion Flag variable. What should the number be for just MotB? Just SoZ? Both? Neither?

I honestly don't know. The best way to find out would probably be to load MotB and SoZ modules in the toolset and check their values.

I honestly don't know. The best way to find out would probably be to load MotB and SoZ modules in the toolset and check their values.

Thanks Josh. I tried that last night. I created a mod with one area and a dinosaur (SoZ content), another with one area and a Fell Troll (MotB content) and a third mod with one area and both. All three have Expansion Flag = 0.

Maybe it dosen't do anything?

Thomas Sowell

Quick update. Bought a new graphics driver. It's really nothing special (GF 8600 GT) but it offered a bundled version of NWN2, so officially, I already have the game. Sometime between this weekend and the next, things should be up and running, even if the XPs will take a bit longer to get.

I'll test your mods and rip them to shreds if you want.

Sure. I promise I'll upload them somewhere for dissection, either at NWVault or a personal space, as soon as I think I have something to show.

Also, Tig - I'll read your PM more thoroughly this Sunday, it's a promise :(

No prob - besides, if it turns out too boring, even that is good feedback. :(

Just what I'm fiddling at the moment, rediscovering the toolset (but it messed up to default lighting). Grass textures all look the same from a distance, which is what you get for trying a 'subtle blend' I guess.

post-150-1230845860_thumb.jpg

I think the effect looks pretty natural. And you've got a forest going on, good!

Now continue.

kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

It has made me the man I am today. A man who craves furry hentai.

So let us go and embrace the rustling smells of unseen worlds

So I joined a modding group two days ago. We are calling ourselves Southern Adventures ( I kinda like that, like a travel agency or something). Anyway, the plan is a series of short but tight standalone mods that utilize the new features from SoZ; the Overland Map and full party creation. The setting will be the Shining South of Faerun.

There is a definite advantage to using full party I've found, there is no need to write hundreds to thousands of words of party banter and dialog. That is a plus. Anyway, my job in this group will be scripting and the overland map. No offense Obsidian guys, but I actually don't care for it. That said I do have a fairly good grip on using it now.

Children of Winter is still a solo project and will remain my primary focus since the group will only be working two mornings a week. Hopefully there will be some news on the vault concerning the first mod within a month or so.

Thomas Sowell

Thanks Josh. I tried that last night. I created a mod with one area and a dinosaur (SoZ content), another with one area and a Fell Troll (MotB content) and a third mod with one area and both. All three have Expansion Flag = 0.

Maybe it dosen't do anything?

It may simply check to see that you have the appropriate expansion packs installed and pop up something in the game if you don't have them. That's the best guess I can come up with.

Could someone give a quick rundown of what new tileset(s) and monsters are in the new nwn2 expansion? Searched the web couldn't find anything specific. Thanks!

Edit: Strike that... found a listing. Sounds interesting but clearly very region specific.

Edited by Rhomal

Admin of World of Darkness Online News

News/Community site for the WoD MMORPG

http://www.wodonlinenews.net

---

Jericho sassed me so I broke into his house and stabbed him to death in his sleep. Problem solved. - J.E. Sawyer

---

"I cannot profess to be a theologian; but it seems to me that Christians who believe in a super human Satan have got themselves into a logical impasse with regard to their own religion. For either God can not prevent the mischief of Satan, in which case he is not omnipotent; or else He could do so if he wished, but will not, in which case He is not benevolent. Fortunately, being a pagan witch, I am not called upon to solve this problem."

- Doreen Valiente

---

Expecting "innovation" from Bioware is like expecting "normality" from Valve -Moatilliatta

Anyway, the plan is a series of short but tight standalone mods that utilize the new features from SoZ; the Overland Map and full party creation. The setting will be the Shining South of Faerun.

Short, tight, standalone. I like it.

GD, sounds good. Working in FR does give you the chance to network with other modders and you seem to be following up that advantage. Let us know how that rolls along - though CoW I assume is the big priority?

Fleshing out the various questlines and places of interest and such, I think the module is very well suited for a series of 'ending slides' a la Fallout. Nothing fancy - just photoshop-treat a few screenshots of the relevant areas then give the text as a one-way conversation cinematic, which is all quite simple. Have a single conversation trigger the 'ending' conversations, and the selection of which depends on the global variables set by the completion of particular quests or the killing of particular critters. It sounds pretty straightforward in my head, and I'm wondering if I'm thinking on the right track and if anybody's ever seen it done.

In short, while the town asks for help finding out more about the goblins migrating in great numbers into the region and perhaps to just kill them all to be safe, the player actually has the option of making the goblins fight each other, or helping them out by telling them about the town's defences and so forth. It would take too much scripting work to actually show the results of that (burnt down towns, invasions, closing of questlines, etc), but assuming that such consequences would take a few weeks to pan out, you could show it in the ending slides.

Has anyone ever used this software? Or even heard of it? I thought this might be just the thing for creating World Maps.

http://www.profantasy.com/

Thomas Sowell