Atari to revisit Baldur's Gate & NWN

Morgoth

It is dumbed down for quick PnP play, please don't bring this abomination into any video games.

actually, that's the one thing that might make D&D more appropriate for crpgs. previous editions were PnP, which does not seem to translate well to the computer, and hence we end up with the strange bastardization that everyone manages to find something wrong with.

taks

Yes, but without turn based combat, it doesn't matter which edition you use, it will never feel like real PnP. I don't have a problem with using D&D for crpgs, it has worked reasonably well so far.

I find 4e's obsession with balance and standardization of everything horrible. All the classes are bland and feel pretty much the same. Most of the rules have to do with combat and they managed to stretch that out to boredom by gimping damage output and pumping monster HP up.

Sorry, but I don't believe that 4ed would add anything to future D&D crpgs.

Any new Baldur's Gate would have to have romances to rival those of BG2. :)

Therefore, Obsidian should not do BG3, Bioware should.

And then it would probably be 360 exclusive and then 6 months later maybe ported to the PC. Yay!

Edited by Purkake

Yes, but without turn based combat, it doesn't matter which edition you use, it will never feel like real PnP.

ToEE used turn-based combat, considerably faithful rule implementations, and even adapted an actual WoTC adventure. It also didn't felt anything like Pen and Paper.

Yes, but without turn based combat, it doesn't matter which edition you use, it will never feel like real PnP.

ToEE used turn-based combat, considerably faithful rule implementations, and even adapted an actual WoTC adventure. It also didn't felt anything like Pen and Paper.

Yeah, ToEE had some pretty awesome combat, but I don't see them making a turn-based RPG.

http://www.gamespot.com/news/6201815.html

Atari then moved on to its own internal brands, such as the Dungeons & Dragons franchise Neverwinter Nights and the long-dormant Baldur's Gate. Developed by BioWare and published by then-D&D rights holder Interplay, the 1998 original Baldur's Gate is considered one of the best role-playing games of all time. Former Interplay staffers at Obsidian Entertainment developed Neverwinter Nights 2 using technology created by BioWare, which made the original Neverwinter Nights. It is unclear who might develop the new Baldur's Gate; reps for Obsidian, which just released the latest NWN2 expansion, declined to comment.

http://rpgcodex.net/phpBB/viewtopic.php?p=...ghlight=#643238

Obsidian won't be doing BG3 - that's for sure. And even if BG3 is going to happen any time soon - it surely won't be a good game - Bioware just renewed their rights to it this year.

So if what you say is true, then the only one that could make BG 3 is Bioware?

where do you know that, link, please?

I'm curious where he gets his information too. You seem so SURE skyway - so positive.

Edited by funcroc

Yes, but without turn based combat, it doesn't matter which edition you use, it will never feel like real PnP. I don't have a problem with using D&D for crpgs, it has worked reasonably well so far.

crpgs can't feel like pnp, no matter what edition of D&D you use, turn-based or otherwise. that was my point, 4e is a step in the direction of making pnp feel like a crpg. >_<

taks

comrade taks... just because.

exaaaactly. pnp isn't about a rules implementation, it's about a group of friends sitting down every week or so and living out a fantasy adventure of some sort in person.

taks

comrade taks... just because.

Truth be told I wouldn't mind a BG3 developed by CDProjekt. I've long argued that one of Baldur's Gate biggest weaknesses as a franchise was that not every single one of the female characters was a total, shameless whore.

This company has what it takes to take BG to the next level.

Edited by Pop

Truth be told I wouldn't mind a BG3 developed by CDProjekt. I've long argued that one of Baldur's Gate biggest weaknesses as a franchise was that not every single one of the female characters was a total, shameless whore.

This company has what it takes to take BG to the next level.

hehe

I wouldn't mind a new Baldur's Gate in the spirit of the old ones. Please let it be nothing like the Dark Alliance games.

I think that Atari could quickly turn around a really good D&D game by building on the ToEE engine and having the developer make the world more immersive, less predictable and more responsive to the player party's actions. Such a game would be for players that are more interested in turn-based combat as opposed to the NWN style combat.

Zenimax and EA are COMPETITORS to Atari. That would equate to Starbuck$ asking Seattle's Best Coffee to make them a blend of coffee. Not going to happen.

Seattle's Best is a subsidary of Starbucks. >_<

Anyway, I'd like to see a 4e game where you start on the streets of Luskan and eventually either quell all the warring factions or unite them all and instill your character as the first stable leader since Deudermont.

The area between the balls and the butt is a hotbed of terrorist activity.

Devastatorsig.jpg

I think that Atari could quickly turn around a really good D&D game by building on the ToEE engine and having the developer make the world more immersive, less predictable and more responsive to the player party's actions. Such a game would be for players that are more interested in turn-based combat as opposed to the NWN style combat.

See taks' response. He understood what I meant just fine. Pen and Paper != Dungeons and Dragons.

Why did so many people love Baldur's Gate?

Was it the setting? Not really. The FR is campy, generic high fantasy. I hate campy, generic high fantasy but I love Baldur's Gate. and Baldur's gate itself is a campy, generic high fantasy city.

Was it the fact that it was a D&D game? Probably not. Over the years I've discussed the series with hundreds of fans on different forums, many of whom never played D&D before. And let it not be forgotten that BG is 2nd Edition, the worst iteration of the game until 4E came along, making 2nd Ed look like a Van Gogh of game design. Funnily enough, many D&D newcomers actually liked the restrictive race / class choice rules and dual-classing and THACO. Dunno why, but they did.

Was it the story? Er, no. The 'Chosen One'-orphan meme, hunted by a myriad of evil foes is hackneyed and dull.

So, what was it, sport fans?

It's not difficult: It was a good game.

Expansive, humorous, exciting combat, lovely to look at, NPCs that somebody had thought about, lots of fighting and loot. A whole lot of effort and love had been put into it and it showed. It was also over-developed, an Alladin's cave of things to do, see and choose. In a word, superlative.

You could recreate that with any setting, genre and style of CRPG. That not many have achieved it since is, indeed, a MYSTARY but you don't in my humble need to call it Baldur's Gate.

Cheers

MC

sonsofgygax.JPG

Atari plans to revisit the likes of Baldur's Gate, Dungeons & Dragons, Neverwinter Nights and Test Drive Unlimited, but not in the next 12 months.

"You will hear more from these but not today, because we're focused on 2009," Infogrames president Phil Harrison told hacks assembled at a press event this afternoon.

for frak's sake, am i the only person on this thread who can actually read?

he didn't say they would revisit BG or NWN, but "the likes of" BG and NWN. it's a hopelessly vague statement that most reasonable folk would read as an indication that they want to make games like BG and NWN in the future, but not necessarily direct successors to those games and not in the next year.

personally, i think it's deeply unlikely that we'll see a BG3 (pointless as it would be) and i have strong doubts about even an NWN3: no developer in their right mind would want to add to the code as bequeathed by NWNs 1&2 and few would want to spend the time to start a new engine afresh.

i'm sure we'll see more D&D games from atari and they might even slap an old name on one of them to garner a few more bucks. but before y'all start drinking the kool aid, you might want to re-read what he said, because if you think that's a firm promise to make BG3 or NWN3, i have a bridge on the thames to sell you.

Edited by newc0253

dumber than a bag of hammers

Atari plans to revisit the likes of Baldur's Gate, Dungeons & Dragons, Neverwinter Nights and Test Drive Unlimited, but not in the next 12 months.

"You will hear more from these but not today, because we're focused on 2009," Infogrames president Phil Harrison told hacks assembled at a press event this afternoon.

for frak's sake, am i the only person on this thread who can actually read?

he didn't say they would revisit BG or NWN, but "the likes of" BG and NWN. it's a hopelessly vague statement that most reasonable folk would read as an indication that they want to make games like BG and NWN in the future, but not necessarily direct successors to those games and not in the next year.

personally, i think it's deeply unlikely that we'll see a BG3 (pointless as it would be) and i have strong doubts about even an NWN3: no developer in their right mind would want to add to the code as bequeathed by NWNs 1&2 and few would want to spend the time to start a new engine afresh.

That's why I think - as I mentioned - that if they do another Baldur's Gate at this point that its most likely going to be set in and around Baldur's Gate as opposed to a continuation of the previous series. It'll be a new game from the ground up beyond that.

I imagine that - as Neverwinter Nights is fairly recent its less likely that they'll do a NWN3 that isn't in the same format as the current one. So I'd guess that it'd be more likely that Atari would dust off an old name (Baldur's Gate, Icewind Dale, Decent to Undermountain, Pool of Radiance, Treasures of the Savage Frontier, Eye of the Beholder, Warriors of the Eternal Sun or some such) for a new game just for brand recognition if they felt they needed something more than slapping "Dungeons and Dragons" on it.

i have a bridge on the thames to sell you.

Dibs on Culham Lock Footbridge :)

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

As for Newc's point, valid as it is, are you seriously telling me that Atari won't indulge in a bit of tomb-raiding by plundering these old franchises?

Look at the evidence as old favourites are disinterred and, er, ruined time and time again.

sonsofgygax.JPG

Yeah, Amelissan remained as a spirit in the Forge and through sheer willpower absorbed all of the Bhaalspawn essence becoming the new God of Murder. But know she wants to create an empire and this is where you come in. Welcome to Baldur's Gate 3: Civilizations!