The Witcher: Rise of the White Wolf (360/PS3)

funcroc

http://www.worthplaying.com/article.php?sid=57896

http://ve3d.ign.com/articles/news/43273/Th...e-Wolf-Revealed

The Witcher is an action RPG incorporating a simple-yet-interesting game system, along with a complex plot and attractive 3D graphics. Already on the PC for over a year, with an enhanced edition released a few months ago, the console version will features a new engine/combat system, new animations/models/vegetation, dynamic lighting/shadows, achievements/trophies, sixaxxis support, new and more aggressive enemy behavior, full character control with optimized console controls.
Edited by funcroc

Not really. Its fundamental combat logic is well suited to console-play and the 'new system' will probably make it even more fast-paced, more dependant on 'special moves' / abilities, and the interface will most likely get a rework.

If they simplify alchemy so you aren't handling all those components with a controller, and such, the game itself should do decently.

Not really. Its fundamental combat logic is well suited to console-play and the 'new system' will probably make it even more fast-paced, more dependent on 'special moves' / abilities, and the interface will most likely get a rework.

If they simplify alchemy so you aren't handling all those components with a controller, and such, the game itself should do decently.

I can't think of any East-European/Polish games that have even been on consoles. It won't tank because it it complicated(it might, though), it will tank because it will be buggy and/or unknown/under marketed to the average console user.

What has being EE/Polish got to do with this case, though? I mean, CDProjekt have proved they can do a million-seller on the worldwide PC market.

It won't tank as long it has a big enough and good enough marketing campaign behind it. Everything else is more or less secondary.

Also, either CDProjekt had a collective brainfart or Sony and MS are paying through the nose for this.

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

Much like the Gothic games, playing The Wither on PC it was obvious how well suited to console it would be. As for bugs, CD Projekt has been doin' The Witcher for so long now I'd hope they've ironed things out now.

I actually rather intrigued by this. Will it feature all the content of the original and expanded edition, or is it more of a spin-off? By new engine do they mean "we've changed so much it's practically a new engine" or are they porting assets to something built from scratch, or perhaps an engine that has proven itself on consoles?

Edited by Hell Kitty

With the exception that Witchers engine is actually quite decent.

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

What has being EE/Polish got to do with this case, though? I mean, CDProjekt have proved they can do a million-seller on the worldwide PC market.

That's the thing, they sell well on the PC, because there are a lot of PC gamers in Eastern-Europe and PC gamers will usually do a little more market research. Your average console user will just grab the shiniest box off the shelf and play that. I'm not saying that the game will be bad, I just doubt that they can put enough marketing behind it to make it an AAA title. It also doesn't help that it was released on the PC one year ago.

That's the thing, they sell well on the PC, because there are a lot of PC gamers in Eastern-Europe and PC gamers will usually do a little more market research. Your average console user will just grab the shiniest box off the shelf and play that. I'm not saying that the game will be bad, I just doubt that they can put enough marketing behind it to make it an AAA title. It also doesn't help that it was released on the PC one year ago.

What, Atari doesn't have enough money to spend on marketing a console game?

20795.jpg

TW uses an updated Aurora - just like NWN2. *shrug*

It's not just an updated Aurora engine, it's heavily modified.

NWN2 is mostly modified in regards to rendering, hence electron.

I came up with Crate 3.0 technology. 

Crate 4.0 - we shall just have to wait and see.

Down and out on the Solomani Rim
Now the Spinward Marches don't look so GRIM!

Not really. Its fundamental combat logic is well suited to console-play and the 'new system' will probably make it even more fast-paced, more dependent on 'special moves' / abilities, and the interface will most likely get a rework.

I can't think of any East-European/Polish games that have even been on consoles. It won't tank because it it complicated(it might, though), it will tank because it will be buggy and/or unknown/under marketed to the average console user.

If it's that buggy it will never be released as it'd never pass Sony quality control.

I came up with Crate 3.0 technology. 

Crate 4.0 - we shall just have to wait and see.

Down and out on the Solomani Rim
Now the Spinward Marches don't look so GRIM!

"It's not just an updated Aurora engine, it's heavily modified.

NWN2 is mostly modified in regards to rendering, hence electron."

They both use Aurora. This is a fact, and undisputable. Arguing it doesn't do anything. It's irrelevant how modified they are. It's still Aurora.

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

"It's not just an updated Aurora engine, it's heavily modified.

NWN2 is mostly modified in regards to rendering, hence electron."

They both use Aurora. This is a fact, and undisputable. Arguing it doesn't do anything. It's irrelevant how modified they are. It's still Aurora.

They weren't disputing the fact, the were merely explaining what the difference was.

Fortune favors the bald.

Not odd. A game like a vehicle are the sum of their parts. A game is more than just the core engine. Duh. That's why IWD, BG, and PST are all different despite all being IE games. AMAZING! SHOCKING! WOWSERS!

Same with NWN, TW, and NWN2. All games that use Aurora. All different (though NWN and NWN2 arevery, very similar). AMAZING! SHOCKING! WOWSERS!

Same with the engine that powers ME which BIO licensed. Multiple games used with the engine. And, they're all different most likely. AMAZING! SHOCKING! WOWSERS!

Males. Females. Both human. But, different. AMAZING! SHOCKING! WOWERS!

See a pattern?

Edited by Volourn

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.