Release date

Guest PoziomyPion

Hey, we are here to whine! Well, maybe if SEGA did some viral like CAPCOM did with Resident Evil. You know, share link to the game's official site with 1000 people to unlock some content. It wouldn't cost a lot. But whatever.

This game essentially needs word of mouth. I've done my share of exposing people (including fans of previous BIS/Obsidian games) that had no idea this game exists. Alas, there's only so much one can do until the game comes out and proves itself. For now, riding along the 'it's a RPG, but plays like a shooter!11!1!!!' ME/FO3 coattail is one way it can get exposure.

Hadescopy.jpg

(Approved by Fio, so feel free to use it)

Heck. Even Neverwinter Nights 2 made a good attempt in buzzing hype. Monsters introduced weekly, characters too and gameplay system/changes.

AP's got nothing aside from same old previews with mostly same contents. We need in-game pics and videos instead to see the game in motion to hype accordingly.

I've thrown threads out in all my forums, but most people who are interested want to know about a release date so they can get their hopes up. Cest la vie.

We're a ways away from release, I think. A few months at the earliest. So cool your japanese jets why don't you.

Here, I'ma give you all a basic template for pimping AP elsewhere.

Alpha Protocol bitches get it.

So basically, for those not in the know (and given Sega's promo performance, that's most if not all of you) Alpha Protocol is an espionage-themed Action RPG from Obsidian Entertainment slated for release in February (man, that spelling annoys me). It's made by the same dudes who, in the past, have made Neverwinter Nights 2, Knights of the Old Republic 2, Planescape: Torment, Fallout 2 and the Icewind Dale games. Specifically this is being designed by the guy who did KOTOR2 and PS:T.

Basically, the gist is thus - you are Michael Thorton (no N like Billy Bob), a trained CIA operative who goes on a mission that, of course, must go haywire. You are framed for something or other and you go Alpha Protocol (off the grid and on the run to complete a mission) while you are the only person who is aware of a global conspiracy with malevolent intentions, and you alone have to stop it. You have a list of informants and safehouses spread across the globe, and you go about trying to find out what's what.

Before these screenies were released the game looked a lot like Mass Effect, and it still sort of does, mainly due to both of them using UE3, but it's been setting itself apart. The character models are less shiny, and there's actual CQC (the dev in charge of melee fighting says it's American Kenpo) that looks very promising. The primary inspiration for animation and combat is Uncharted: Drake's Fortune, which I've heard very good things about but haven't played because boo hiss Sony.

The dialogue system is like ME, but it's even simpler. It's much more like Indigo Prophecy (Fahrenheit for you euros) your responses are timed, and you're given a very simple summation of the actions you can perform. "Draw gun" "smooth talk" "bribe" "threaten", etc. It should lead to fewer "but I didn't want to shoot the guy!" moments like the sort you got from ME. In general there will be 3 different "conversation paths" you can take. There's suave (Bond), brutal (Bauer) and professional (Bourne), more or less. You can choose one of these "paths" and put the controller down as the timer ticks down and automatically chooses responses indicative of the path, or you can switch at a whim. The devs have promised that once you've gone through a dialogue tree, you can't go back through it. So you have to be sure of what you're doing.

One thing about the game that people are skeptical of at this juncture is that it looks like the game will have unlimited ammo. You're likely going to be made to choose your weapons and mods at the beginning of a mission (like Hitman) but you won't be able to retrieve enemy weapons. Among the strategy enthusiasts this doesn't sit very well. You'll have to reload your guns, but you'll have infinite clips and can thus go full Rambo for an entire mission if you wanted to. (CHANGED) The tone of the game is sort of hard to pin down. There are camp elements, given that they're drawing somewhat from the Bond legacy, but they're also trying to ground the game in the real world, even if that world is exaggerated (CQC, for example, is an absolute last resort for any real soldier or fighter)

Here's a more recently released preview from E3.

Also throw some stuff in there about GTTV and all that jazz.

Negative. I mean, it's possible but highly unlikely. No info about a release date and then they drop "COMING OUT IN A WEEK AND THREE DAYS" on GTTV? I'm hoping for late July, but it could also be September. If I recall correctly it wasn't a long time between Dead Space got its "media blitz" and the time it came out (which surprised me)

So when will it be the time the forum is finally open for possible exchange of QA between the devs and the forumnites? To be honest there had been a absence and lack of communication here regarding of AP.

Chris, come out and greet us at least as a Lead Developer! >.<

So when will it be the time the forum is finally open for possible exchange of QA between the devs and the forumnites? To be honest there had been a absence and lack of communication here regarding of AP.

Chris, come out and greet us at least as a Lead Developer! >.

I wouldn't hold your breath on too many devs having time to hop on here. We're all working very hard on our milestone stuff, and very few of us have time to check the boards with any regularity.

My blood! He punched out all my blood! - Meet the Sandvich

That's really far away...

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

Mostly refering games soley for PC since its inconvenient to have consoles at my present living circumstances.

Game of preference excludes sports and racing.

I know there is a Fallout 3 DLC coming, but Bethesda's games doesn't interest me and the only things I've seen for F3 was screenshots. Never played yet.

A possible Resident Evil 5 port for PC, but the dated gameplay design where you are unable to move aim and shoot turns me off.

Is there even any notable PC games coming out at all in between until September? Dragon Age itself had been pushed back to Q4. So pretty much a bummer for me.