Any good games coming out?

Karzak

I answered your question, so I'll ask my question again: If they (soap operas) don't provide anything positive, why do people watch them?

I know the answer to that one! Can I answer please?!? :lol:

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

Because they don't have anything better to do at that particular point in time :lol:

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

"Though I could speak the same for you and your avoiding the question."

I wans't about to answer YOUR question until you answered MINE.

You did so now I will.

People watch them because they *think* they're good. Doesn't mean they neccessarily are. People *gasp* can be wrong. Even if it's multiple people. Afterall, even in the Amerikan election, almost half voted Bush the 'wrong' choice. Or was Obama the 'wrong' choice despite ove rhalf voting for him? Hmmm.

"What makes a game "good?"

We all decide personally. Others' opinions are irrelevant.

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

Because it's entertaining to them. Of course, separating entertainment from quality can also be tricky. Many people were highly entertained by Bioware's first steps into the role-playing genre, but can we chalk up redundant choices and absence of meaningful consequences as being *good* - despite possibly entertaining? Fallout 3 seems to be a commercial and critical success, and many believe that the game has the "Fallout feel". But can we claim that the dialogue is *good* or well-written, just to name one element?

People watch them because they *think* they're good. Doesn't mean they neccessarily are.

What makes something good, if not people thinking that they are?

We all decide personally. Others' opinions are irrelevant

Which means that someone thinking it is good, in fact validates that it is, in fact, good. No one is saying that you or anyone else has to agree.

People *gasp* can be wrong. Even if it's multiple people. Afterall, even in the Amerikan election, almost half voted Bush the 'wrong' choice. Or was Obama the 'wrong' choice despite ove rhalf voting for him? Hmmm.

What do you mean the "wrong" choice? Because they voted for the person that lost? Your example doesn't make any sense at all. You can say that they voted for the losing choice which is fine, but to even assert that anyone voted for the "wrong" choice is absurd. Unless someone was coerced into voting against the way they wanted to vote, there is no wrong choice in an election.

Because it's entertaining to them. Of course, separating entertainment from quality can also be tricky. Many people were highly entertained by Bioware's first steps into the role-playing genre, but can we chalk up redundant choices and absence of meaningful consequences as being *good* - despite possibly entertaining? Fallout 3 seems to be a commercial and critical success, and many believe that the game has the "Fallout feel". But can we claim that the dialogue is *good* or well-written, just to name one element?

Well then you're breaking things down into their parts. For something to be good, it doesn't mean that every part of it needs to be good, when assessed individually. The sum of the parts is what matters.

Very true Alan, but even on the whole, can we distinguish between Fallout 3 as an entertaining game and Fallout 3 as a good game? If not, then these dichotomies are self-defeating. If we can, than how do we measure them?

What does it mean to be good?

Good and Entertaining are both subjective terms, so they're going to mean different things to different people, and why one can be entertained by things that aren't particularly good or to think things good when they aren't entertained by it personally.

Ergo, arguments about such things will need to determine what is Good and Entertaining for the sake of the argument, or risk having people talk at cross purposes.

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

Very true Alan, but even on the whole, can we distinguish between Fallout 3 as an entertaining game and Fallout 3 as a good game? If not, then these dichotomies are self-defeating. If we can, than how do we measure them?

What does it mean to be good?

I don't think it's that clear cut; but certainly, there is some level of technical proficiency one can attribute to something, no? It wouldn't be farfetched to say the Rolling Stones are a "good band" to many, but can we claim - on a technical level - that Keith Richards is a better guitarist than Jimi Hendrix?

Ergo, arguments about such things will need to determine what is Good and Entertaining for the sake of the argument, or risk having people talk at cross purposes.

I've noticed that some people seems to find such activities very entertaining, at least judged by the enthusiasm they do it with :sorcerer:

There might be some criteria that can actually me measured empirically and agreed upon as being "good". Not necessarily more good than other good things, but "good". Things like getting sufficient hours of entertainment for your money, able to keep up a decent framerate, low bug count, etc.

I think I stand by the conclusion of my first post though, there is no correct answer. Ok, maybe I should have changed it to, there is no universally correct answer (for the semantics pedantics).

Edited by Gorth

yeeees - I think we have explored the analogies of "good being a subjective matter" to it's full extent.

Thank you Maria Caliban! :lol:

Personally I'm looking very much forward to Total War Empire, which is coming out in february 09.

Fortune favors the bald.

Yeah, thanks Ms Caliban. There goes my breakfast.

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

I'm looking forward to the next Prince of Persia. I've been playing shooters constantly in the last few months and I need something else.

"Alright, I've been thinking. When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade - make life take the lemons back! Get mad! I don't want your damn lemons, what am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life's manager. Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons. Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! With the lemons. I'm going to to get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that burns your house down!"

Being sold alot doesn't qualify good either. "Hype" can certainly sell stuff to people who then realise they bought stuff they didn't like at all. Think Oblivion or Black & White (I am guilty of both >_<)

Looking forward to Majesty 2 and Deus Ex 3.

^

I agree that that is such a stupid idiotic pathetic garbage hateful retarded scumbag evil satanic nazi like term ever created. At least top 5.

TSLRCM Official Forum || TSLRCM Moddb || My other KOTOR2 mods || TSLRCM (English version) on Steam || [M4-78EP on Steam

Formerly known as BattleWookiee/BattleCookiee

"'Tomb Raider'

Gimme a break. All the previous installments have been utter crap. What makes this different.."

Hey, you sound like me, and FO3. watch out, people hate that attitude, lol!

Anyways, SOZ and AOD are two released (for me) coming soon. ;)

Except it's a valid thought as Tomb raider does, always has, and always will suck :lol:

I came up with Crate 3.0 technology. 

Crate 4.0 - we shall just have to wait and see.

Down and out on the Solomani Rim
Now the Spinward Marches don't look so GRIM!

Tomb Raider was never good in the first place. Even the new Crystal Dynamics games are utter boring.

Anyway, anyone heard something new about Rise of the Argonauts?

It's due out soon, and from what I've heard previously development is going well... Codemasters are moving towards higher quality products on the whole, the expectation as a result is probably quite high.

I came up with Crate 3.0 technology. 

Crate 4.0 - we shall just have to wait and see.

Down and out on the Solomani Rim
Now the Spinward Marches don't look so GRIM!

I actually liked Black & White alot, the story was lacking, but funny and the AI was pretty innovative for it's time. A little rough pearl.

it had it's moments

i quite enjoyed throwing people halfway across the map or feeding them to my creature :rolleyes:

when your mind works against you - fight back with substance abuse!