Fallout 3 First Impressions

It sounds like Bethesda really stepped up for this one.

I think I'm going to faint actually. But it's a good kind of faint.

I think this game will be in my top ten. Falling in place right behind Fallout 2.

"Your Job is not to die for your country, but set a man on fire, and take great comfort in the general hostility and unfairness of the universe."

It sounds like Bethesda really stepped up for this one.

I think I'm going to faint actually. But it's a good kind of faint.

Don't get me wrong - I still hate Bethesda with an undying fury...

...but this is definitely leagues better than anything they've ever released, and is probably on par (if not better) than anything Bioware has released lately. :thumbsup:

manthing2.jpg

It's a huge shame about the melee combat. Reading this thread, it's the biggest thing stopping me from getting the game.

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

...and is probably on par (if not better) than anything Bioware has released lately. :thumbsup:

Oh no, you didn't! You cast the Summon incoherent, rambling fanboi spell by typing that! (aka. Volourn)

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

It's a huge shame about the melee combat. Reading this thread, it's the biggest thing stopping me from getting the game.

I tried out some hand-2-hand in VATS and it was pretty cinematic. I just assumed my general suckage was due to my feeble ST 1, and EN 1. :thumbsup:

manthing2.jpg

Yeah, the lack of targeting in VATS is a downer but it does still have some interesting criticals. :thumbsup:

"Your Job is not to die for your country, but set a man on fire, and take great comfort in the general hostility and unfairness of the universe."

You know what would be fun? To go through the old Fallout 3 threads on this board and see who were sure to not buy this because it was Fallout in name only and Oblivion with guns, and Bethesda was the most evil company on Earth for messing with such a beloved franchise and on and on and on AND ON AND ON AND ON ad nauseam.

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

Crotch punching and eye poking my way through the wasteland would have made this a must buy for me. And other than the difficulty of making proper animations for it, I don't see why they decided to make melee pointless.

Heja Sverige!!

How does LUCK come into play?

Luck operates as a slight skill modifier for EVERY skill (though not by nearly as much as its primary modifier - i.e. LU will increase the melee skill, but not by nearly the same amount as ST would).

It also serves as a pre-requisite for certain perks. E.g. I think "Better Criticals" need PE 6 & LU 6.

As for random encounters...I'll just have to wait and see when/if I encounter one. :thumbsup:

Edited by jaguars4ever
manthing2.jpg

How's the levelling up? One perk for every level, and no traits really sound like dumb ideas.

Heja Sverige!!

How's the levelling up? One perk for every level, and no traits really sound like dumb ideas.

One perk per level sounds a bit like overkill.

"Of course the people don't want war. But after all, it's the leaders of the country who determine the policy, and it's always a simple matter to drag the people along whether it's a democracy, a fascist dictatorship, or a parliament, or a communist dictatorship. Voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked, and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism, and exposing the country to greater danger."

- Herman Goering at the Nuremberg trials

"I have also been slowly coming to the realisation that knowledge and happiness are not necessarily coincident, and quite often mutually exclusive" - meta

Depends how powerful they are. Its just a matter of game design, not inherently any better or worse than one every three levels.

Notice how I can belittle your beliefs without calling you names. It's a useful skill to have particularly where you aren't allowed to call people names. It's a mistake to get too drawn in/worked up. I mean it's not life or death, it's just two guys posting their thoughts on a message board. If it were personal or face to face all the usual restraints would be in place, and we would never have reached this place in the first place. Try to remember that.

You know what would be fun? To go through the old Fallout 3 threads on this board and see who were sure to not buy this because it was Fallout in name only and Oblivion with guns, and Bethesda was the most evil company on Earth for messing with such a beloved franchise and on and on and on AND ON AND ON AND ON ad nauseam.

I said some of that. Not so much the beloved franchise stuff, but just the Bethesda past track record in designing crpgs was total ass. And it has been. But I also give them all the cedit in the world, if they've finally made a crpg that's actually worth playing. If Todd has proved me wrong and he has actually done something worthwhile in game design, then I bow and kiss his feet.

Or something.

Notice how I can belittle your beliefs without calling you names. It's a useful skill to have particularly where you aren't allowed to call people names. It's a mistake to get too drawn in/worked up. I mean it's not life or death, it's just two guys posting their thoughts on a message board. If it were personal or face to face all the usual restraints would be in place, and we would never have reached this place in the first place. Try to remember that.

Depends how powerful they are. Its just a matter of game design, not inherently any better or worse than one every three levels.

I've always thought that a perk/feat every level is overkill too. That's probably why I never used a soldier/guardian in KotOR or a Fighter in D&D.

But remember all those useless "flavor", "skill increase", or "sex" perks that nobody ever wanted in FO1/2 as it's a "waste" of a perk slot? Well, here most of the early level-mid level perks are mostly skill increase/flavorful perks that don't add too much overt power to your character.

But, I'll let you be the judge:

perks-level24.jpg

perks-level68.jpg

perks-level1012.jpg

perks-level1416.jpg

perks-level1820.jpg

Nb - in addition to these perks, there are tons of story related perks (more like acquired traits) that you'll get from questing (e.g. Power Armor training from joining the BoS).

manthing2.jpg

The design is pretty balanced. Think at it this way. The original SPECIAL system was akin to 3.5e d20 System. Every three levels you get a Feat/Perk. FO3 SPECIAL is more like the d20 Modern d20 System, which the Perk is more in lines with the power level of a Talent. If you haven't done d20 Modern or Saga System Star Wars, a Talent is like a weaker Feat. However some talents can be quite powerful and have greater requirements than a baseline talent. That is why some of the Perks that have greater requirements are indeed quite powerful.

Edited by Killian Kalthorne

:lol:

I heard the game contains:

-No swear words.

-No drug use.

-No mature content.

-Lack of dark humour or the execution of it compared to the first 2 series.

-Gameplay is simply Oblivion with guns.

Man. This can't be Fallout. Its not even close as spiritual successor. Sigh.

Dammit Obsidian, just spill new news of Alpha Protocol and Aliens RPG already. Because this one is making me feel super depressed.

-No swear words.

-No drug use.

-No mature content.

-Lack of dark humour or the execution of it compared to the first 2 series.

-Gameplay is simply Oblivion with guns.

Man. This can't be Fallout. Its not even close as spiritual successor. Sigh.

Dammit Obsidian, just spill new news of Alpha Protocol and Aliens RPG already. Because this one is making me feel super depressed.

>.>

at least half those are wrong. I've heard people cuss. at least one woman in each town... thing is a hooker or close to it. and I'm pretty sure that theres some medication you take for Rad poisoning.

Dark humor I haven't run into, and the Oblivion with guns combat is... half accurate? the melee combat is similar but there are no spells or any of that fantasy stuff. and the gun combat is significantly different from bows in oblivion IIRC.

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

the melee combat is similar but there are no spells or any of that fantasy stuff. and the gun combat is significantly different from bows in oblivion IIRC.
Sounds like a modded Oblivion combat with added VATs system.

What about skill lists? Simplified like all other Bethesda games ever since Daggerfall?

the melee combat is similar but there are no spells or any of that fantasy stuff. and the gun combat is significantly different from bows in oblivion IIRC.
Sounds like a modded Oblivion combat with added VATs system.

What about skill lists? Simplified like all other Bethesda games ever since Daggerfall?

I donno. I haven't really played any of the Elder scrolls games other than oblivion (and that for five minutes) but theres alot of skills, everything from medicine to tech to demolitions to barter.

-No swear words.

-No drug use.

-No mature content.

To quote Happy Gilmore: "The price is WRONG, bitch!"

You'll find all of that in abundance in the FIRST town alone.

oh right... the water happy guy I forgot him!