Fallout 3 Kicks Its Drug Habit

Fallout 3 Kicks Its Drug Habit, Thanks To Australian Intervention

When Australia's Office of Film and Literature Classification board refused to rate Fallout 3, it did so due to one too many drug references. Apparently, the virtual use of opiates in-game

"Geez. It's like we lost some sort of bet and ended up saddled with a bunch of terrible new posters on this forum."

-Hurlshot

It hardly matters, does it? I mean, it's just a name change. It's pedantic to enforce and trivial to obey.

What, you mean mentats, buffout and jet weren't real drugs?!? :(

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

And why would they risk bags of money in revenue to spite a totally inconsequential censor decision, when (a) games sold in AUS have a massive markup and (b) it wouldn't change the australian board's attitude one iota, as the roots lie in a different kind of political climate?

Hypocrites, its all fine and dandy when its TV or a movie but when people do it in a game it gets banned. Its friggin' retarded.

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

An issue was raised concerning references to real world, proscribed drugs in the game, and we subsequently removed those references and replaced them with fictional names.

Wow, thats stupid that they had to do that. So you call cocaine a "stimpack" and its all good? People in AU cant connect those dots?

they may ship it out that way (without the drug references), but how much will be hidden in the code and cracked by the community upon release (pun intended)

i've seen many games released with missing content that the gaming community somehow seems to find and mods it in. so it's no big deal how they release it.

An issue was raised concerning references to real world, proscribed drugs in the game, and we subsequently removed those references and replaced them with fictional names.

Wow, thats stupid that they had to do that. So you call cocaine a "stimpack" and its all good? People in AU cant connect those dots?

I can't speak for my fellow countrymen, but if I ever encountered real world drugs in games my immediate reaction would be to inject my eyeballs with whatever the hell I could get my hands on.

i've seen many games released with missing content that the gaming community somehow seems to find and mods it in. so it's no big deal how they release it.

I don't think there will be missing content, just name changes from the sound of it. I'm sure someone will offer some kind of mod that changes the names to real world drugs, much like you see in other games where firearms are given real names, or the names of vehicles in the GTA series changed to the real world inspiration.

I can't speak for my fellow countrymen, but if I ever encountered real world drugs in games my immediate reaction would be to inject my eyeballs with whatever the hell I could get my hands on.

:lol:

the only thing they've done is apparently change morphine to med-ex.

i doubt many folk will be hakking the game for that fix.

dumber than a bag of hammers

the only thing they've done is apparently change morphine to med-ex.

THAT WAS WHY IT WAS GOING TO BE BANNED!?! :lol:

Edited by Deadly_Nightshade

"Geez. It's like we lost some sort of bet and ended up saddled with a bunch of terrible new posters on this forum."

-Hurlshot

"Benned"? Was Affleck going to be in it? That would make it Fallout in name only.

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

I think Ben Affleck would be great as a ghoul.

I don't see what the freaking point is. Morphine is a drug which has benefits. Otherwise why does the Australian government put it in medical kits for their fething soldiers? I avoid drugs because I don't agree with them, not because I close my eyes to their benefits. I don't see how pretending otherwise does aanything other than discredit counter-drug campaigns. :lol:

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

That's your reaction to everything.

"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

That's your reaction to everything.

Oh god, don't remind me of that time we went for pizza.

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

I will file this neatly in my "Who Cares" cabinet.

Hey! It's already too crowded in here.

-Elwood Blues