Dragon Age

"Witcher did low fantasy great"

Wicther is overrated. Just another KOTOR. Gets way too praise for absolutely no reason. A decent game that is embarrasing to read about in a thread dedicated to an AWESOME DA teaser.

Oh please! :) You are either drunk or stoned or both. Go sleep it off.

2010spaceships.jpg

Hades was the life of the party. RIP You'll be missed.

Never played Witcher. I tend to like CRPGs in which I can create my own character unless they have a very phenomenal story behind it. PS:T level of quality.

Murphy's Law of Computer Gaming: The listed minimum specifications written on the box by the publisher are not the minimum specifications of the game set by the developer.

@\NightandtheShape/@ - "Because you're a bizzare strange deranged human?"

Walsingham- "Sand - always rushing around, stirring up apathy."

Joseph Bulock - "Another headache, courtesy of Sand"

I'd say the Witcher's story was very good. You'll have to decide for yourself whether you think it's as good as PS:T. But it's easily one of the best stories in a contemporary RPG. And I'm hardly the only one to say that. If you're bypassing it for the pre-generated PC, you're selling it short. In gameplay terms, the only thing the PC means is a name and legacy...which you aren't even fully aware of yet. In terms of what you can do in the engine, you can take him any way you want to.

Yeah, but I tend to play female characters in CRPGs. :)

Murphy's Law of Computer Gaming: The listed minimum specifications written on the box by the publisher are not the minimum specifications of the game set by the developer.

Considering the witcher is a "playa", you do that a lot in the game. :)

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

I tried the demo but combat was horrid and clunky. (Cinematics were good though) I can't understand how some codexians can whine about NWN2 combat and yet like TW's :)

But it still had all potential to be great game, I didn't play it too much and presumably tutorial is weakest part of the game

How can it be a no ob build. It has PROVEN effective. I dare you to show your builds and I will tear you apart in an arugment about how these builds will won them.

- OverPowered Godzilla (OPG)

Never played Witcher. I tend to like CRPGs in which I can create my own character unless they have a very phenomenal story behind it. PS:T level of quality.

then you literally don't know what you're missing.

PS:T is a different style of story. Witcher is great in its own right.

dumber than a bag of hammers

Considering the witcher is a "playa", you do that a lot in the game. :)

And you couldn't do that with a female character? :)

"You'll have to decide for yourself whether you think it's as good as PS:T. But it's easily one of the best stories in a contemporary RPG."

Nowhere enar PST. TW's writing is horrid. The story was just plain useless. Throw in a one dimensional main character, and gameplay that maybe is on par with KOTOR it makes for a poor combination.

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

"You'll have to decide for yourself whether you think it's as good as PS:T. But it's easily one of the best stories in a contemporary RPG."

Nowhere enar PST. TW's writing is horrid. The story was just plain useless. Throw in a one dimensional main character, and gameplay that maybe is on par with KOTOR it makes for a poor combination.

This is coming from someone who thinks that NWN 1 is the best thing ever.

L0llip0p :)

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

You don't need PST level writing quality to have an enjoyable RPG. Back then, when we pushed pixels through IE landscapes, there was kinda nothing else to do than reading, messing around in inventories, and killing stuff. So you sorta had to deploy a Gaider or an Avellone to keep us entertained.

Witcher succeeded on many levels, gameplay wise. The combat system was imo a vast imporvement over Kotor, NWN2 etc. The setting was well developed, the characters ranged from awful bad to interesting and multilayered. There was lots of stuff to do, and lot of choices to make. Overall, TW did more things right than wrong. And that's kinda a little miracle these days were we get polluted with wannabe Action RPGs that always seem to be either an Oblivion or a Diablo clone.

Edit: Stupid typos, shouldn't drink so much wine...

Edited by Morgoth

This is coming from someone who thinks that NWN 1 is the best thing ever.

L0llip0p :)

I second that emotion.

I came to like The Witcher when i was in the situation of choosing between these two scenarios:

1) Siding with the villagers who wanted to kill the witch, who was accused for murder.

2) Siding with the witch.

Choosing the first option would mean that the witch was killed, but the clergyman would then continue to keep the people in poverty and allow the slavetrading of children. Choosing to side with the witch would end the slavetrade and the power of the religious class, but it would also mean that you would have to kill almost everyone of the villagers and burn it down, since they sided with the clergyman. And there where several other similar situations in the game.

While The Witcher certainly isn't a new Fallout or Planescape: Torment, it does however carry it's own weight quite well. Also, it's bleak vision of fantasy was a good punch in the face for the other "good vs. evil"-rpgs out there, especially compared to those made by Bioware.

Edited by Meshugger

- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

Every normal person Ive ever talked to thought the Witcher stank, so I dont trust you. And for those who like Gothic, like mkreku, I trust your opinions even less than Volos :)"

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

Every normal person Ive ever talked to thought the Witcher stank, so I dont trust you. And for those who like Gothic, like mkreku, I trust your opinions even less than Volos :)"

Now, now. No need for excuses for hanging around soulless hipsters and mangina leftists. Just make your own opinion and don't rely on others :)

- George Bernard Shaw

- Friedrich Nietzsche

- Some guy 

Every normal person Ive ever talked to thought the Witcher stank, so I dont trust you.

i don't know what passes for normal in your neck of the woods, but Witcher is a great game. to loosely paraphrase the immortal line from Deadwood: those who say otherwise cuck socks by choice.

Edited by newc0253

dumber than a bag of hammers

I'm really looking forward to replaying the Witcher. But I am holding off until the enhanced version is released. In some that is my most anticipated of al upcoming games, even though I've all ready spent a lot of play time on the original verison of the game.

Notice how I can belittle your beliefs without calling you names. It's a useful skill to have particularly where you aren't allowed to call people names. It's a mistake to get too drawn in/worked up. I mean it's not life or death, it's just two guys posting their thoughts on a message board. If it were personal or face to face all the usual restraints would be in place, and we would never have reached this place in the first place. Try to remember that.

The witcher sucked. And that scenerio if you choose to save the witch you got to bang her which was my main goal in the game. Only thing that kept me playing throughout the first city. But not enough for the second.

There was a time when I questioned the ability for the schizoid to ever experience genuine happiness, at the very least for a prolonged segment of time. I am no closer to finding the answer, however, it has become apparent that contentment is certainly a realizable goal. I find these results to be adequate, if not pleasing. Unfortunately, connection is another subject entirely. When one has sufficiently examined the mind and their emotional constructs, connection can be easily imitated. More data must be gleaned and further collated before a sufficient judgment can be reached.

The witcher sucked. And that scenerio if you choose to save the witch you got to bang her which was my main goal in the game. Only thing that kept me playing throughout the first city. But not enough for the second.

There was a somewhat juvenile aspect to the sex part of the game, which was a bit annoying, but really it was so far removed from the main game, that you could pretty much play the whole game and not even really notice it. I personally, think the game was good enough that it didn't need that stuff at all, but the inclusion of it didn't really damage my enjoyment of it. I would hope that in a sequel, the developers put a little faith in their ability to create a quality game and dump the silly sex card thing.

Notice how I can belittle your beliefs without calling you names. It's a useful skill to have particularly where you aren't allowed to call people names. It's a mistake to get too drawn in/worked up. I mean it's not life or death, it's just two guys posting their thoughts on a message board. If it were personal or face to face all the usual restraints would be in place, and we would never have reached this place in the first place. Try to remember that.

The sex part of the game was about as prominent as any other part of it. It was a poor Diablo clone with bland characters, hackneyed design, and hours of bloat and grind that make the NWN2 campaign feel like Portal. The choices were interesting on paper, but in the game they're chipped diamonds (I get to choose between ****ty, badly drawn character A and ****ty, badly drawn character B? Whatever shall I do? And which sex card would I get out of it?) buried in tons of manure. I'd rather not hack-n-slash for 6 hours or more just to revisit a choice, and then hack-n-slash for another 6 hours to see its marginally different outcome.

To this day, I've not been able to get past, I believe, Act III, because the game slows to a literal slide-show crawl on my computer. And I easily meet the recommended/required specs.

Which is a shame, because I was enjoying it.

"Console exclusive is such a harsh word." - Darque

"Console exclusive is two words Darque." - Nartwak (in response to Darque's observation)

To this day, I've not been able to get past, I believe, Act III, because the game slows to a literal slide-show crawl on my computer. And I easily meet the recommended/required specs.

Which is a shame, because I was enjoying it.

I believe the enhanced version is supposed to improve some aspects of performance. Perhaps it make make a difference for your computer.

So I have to buy the game twice to play it? Awesome. :thumbsup:

last time I checked the Witcher forums there was a lot of discussion on whether some or all of the enhancements woudl be available as free downloads for people who already own the game. This was a month or so ago, but at the time there was no official word, so who knows, but there's a possibility.

For me personally, if I had to buy a second copy of the game to get all the enhanced features and content, I wouldn't even have to think twice. Fallout 3 can wait, if that is the case.