PETITION: PLEASE CHANGE THE INFINITE AMMO DESIGN

You can't create something from nothing, but something like a gun that uses zero point energy would probably be next to infinite ammo, but since the game story line takes place in 21st century Earth I think it is unlikely such technology would exist.

Oh, nice try Cy, but you fail. Those JBs are in movies and television shows, not CRPGs. :o

Edited by Sand

Murphy's Law of Computer Gaming: The listed minimum specifications written on the box by the publisher are not the minimum specifications of the game set by the developer.

@\NightandtheShape/@ - "Because you're a bizzare strange deranged human?"

Walsingham- "Sand - always rushing around, stirring up apathy."

Joseph Bulock - "Another headache, courtesy of Sand"

The US government is hiding the existence of hammerspace from us so that their secret agents can use it. Just like flying cars, wrist watches with magnetic force fields, and incredibly intelligent models.

"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

So far no developer has given a good reason, in terms of setting and story background, why there are skill points. If there is a solid story based reason behind it Obsidianites, then I am 100% behind it.

The big issue that I personally have with skill points is setting and tone. The whole spy thing, with all the JBs, Bauer, Bond & Borne brings up images of spies/agents using their wits and skills to win, but such characters never become significantly more skilled over the course of the story.

if you quote others than please use "quotes' or others mistakely think those are your comments, thanks :o

IB1OsQq.png

Guys, I hate to say it, but I think the answers already given are the ones you're going to have to live with for the moment. You may want to know every single thing about the game right now, but that's not going to happen. There'll be plenty more info on the game coming out in the coming months, but for now, as mentioned, the game is still a long way away from release and there's plenty we can't and shouldn't talk about.

I'm not saying this discussion can't go on, but let's try not to take the tone where answers are demanded. We love our forumites, but we're not going to be able to tell you everything about the game, regardless of how much you want us to, or even regardless of how much we would like to.

I'd just like to know what the actual focus of the game is in terms of tone. Light/mindless/humorous or mature/realistic/dark?

I'd imagine this would be set in stone already, and it seems to me it's the type of thing you'd want to get out to the gamers in order to catch the attention of the customer base Obsidian is aiming for.

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

So far no developer has given a good reason, in terms of setting and story background, why there are skill points. If there is a solid story based reason behind it Obsidianites, then I am 100% behind it.

The big issue that I personally have with skill points is setting and tone. The whole spy thing, with all the JBs, Bauer, Bond & Borne brings up images of spies/agents using their wits and skills to win, but such characters never become significantly more skilled over the course of the story.

Wow. Do you make a point of thinking up new fallacies to post, or does it come naturally?

Wow. Do you make a point of thinking up new fallacies to post, or does it come naturally?

Satirical quote of a satirical quote makes everyone a sad panda :o

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

Guys, I hate to say it, but I think the answers already given are the ones you're going to have to live with for the moment. You may want to know every single thing about the game right now, but that's not going to happen. There'll be plenty more info on the game coming out in the coming months, but for now, as mentioned, the game is still a long way away from release and there's plenty we can't and shouldn't talk about.

I'm not saying this discussion can't go on, but let's try not to take the tone where answers are demanded. We love our forumites, but we're not going to be able to tell you everything about the game, regardless of how much you want us to, or even regardless of how much we would like to.

I'd just like to know what the actual focus of the game is in terms of tone. Light/mindless/humorous or mature/realistic/dark?

I'd imagine this would be set in stone already, and it seems to me it's the type of thing you'd want to get out to the gamers in order to catch the attention of the customer base Obsidian is aiming for.

Since they mentioned the story being in vein of Syriana, would i vouch for "realistic/dark".

Edited by Meshugger

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

What fallacy is in my post, good sir?

I don't post if I don't have anything to say, which I guess makes me better than the rest of your so-called "community." 8)

Since they mentioned the story being in vein of Syriana, would i vouch for "realistic/dark".

At first I did too, but then they mentioned Kill Bill and gun toting teenagers with pink hair, and suddenly I don't know what to think.

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

At first I did too, but then they mentioned Kill Bill and gun toting teenagers with pink hair, and suddenly I don't know what to think.

maybe Trigun :o

IB1OsQq.png

3) Some people won't like it no matter what. Some of you probably won't like this game. That's not saying anything about you guys or the game, it's just the law of averages. I fully expect, after release, to read on a forum somewhere (maybe here) about how Alpha Protocol is the worst game ever made and the number one reason was... maybe infinite ammo? Who knows? People dislike a lot of good games for a lot of silly reasons. It's very subjective.

I doubt anyone here would write AP as bad game due to some as small part as infinite ammo

I look forward to more info on the tone and feel of the game in the future.

Thnks to all the devs for their reponses. :o

I would say scour the interweb and newsstands for more info on AP in the upcoming months. I'm sure that something will turn up.

Alvin, even though Bleach is kinda cool you must watch Gurren Lagann. After that you can't help photoshoppin' The Badass Shades Of Awesomeness everywhere (just look what I did to my Lennon!)

Mechas that use Galaxies as shurikens

Did I sell this show for you already or what?

Forgoing a proper ammo system for spending that development time elsewhere is a bit problematic. Aren't you worried no one will buy the game just on faith that it's actually a worthwhile trade off ?.

If our game had so little to offer that unlimited ammo was a big enough turn off that people wouldn't buy it, we'd still have much bigger problems than just having made an unpopular choice on ammo.

Indeed

And I am still eagerly anticipating this game, perhaps more than any other currently on the horizon. Game mechanics overall seems to be great (though this infinite ammo seem to be HUGE backstab against whole combat mechanics and that's why I'm campaigning against it) and this game will be Absolute Winner Material by writing alone. Add that together with propably best gameplay from OE game so far (again, with exception of infinite ammo etc. : :) ) it'll propably be blast to play.

But if nothing else you really must add body dragging in the game. It isn't even question.

Real question is what the heck happened to Mitsoda.

...he didn't leave Obsidian, right? ;(

How can it be a no ob build. It has PROVEN effective. I dare you to show your builds and I will tear you apart in an arugment about how these builds will won them.

- OverPowered Godzilla (OPG)

Becides which, you're arguing that infinite ammo in ME is realistic for the setting and that it wouldn't be for AP, so you're pretty much just generating 100% mouth-poop again by saying that this has nothing to do with realism.

I never said that it is realistic. ME is hardly realistic in any sense of the word, Nicky-boy. I said it makes sense for the setting in how they justified it. Read what is there and not what you want to be there.

So you're arguing that infinite ammo in ME isn't realistic for the setting?

Dude, you should have said so.

Hadescopy.jpg

(Approved by Fio, so feel free to use it)

So you're arguing that infinite ammo in ME isn't realistic for the setting?

Dude, you should have said so.

Are you unable to read or what? I said nothing of the sort.

Murphy's Law of Computer Gaming: The listed minimum specifications written on the box by the publisher are not the minimum specifications of the game set by the developer.

Hah, Bauer gets a lot better at torture as the series went on! :shifty:

+6 Torture skill every season!

Really though, there is a big difference between an agent learning new hand to hand skills, picking a lock faster or learning to aim more precisely and having a magical endless bag of holding for his pistol clips in, what I thought, was a modern setting.

Hah, Bauer gets a lot better at torture as the series went on! :bat:

+6 Torture skill every season!

Really though, there is a big difference between an agent learning new hand to hand skills, picking a lock faster or learning to aim more precisely and having a magical endless bag of holding for his pistol clips in, what I thought, was a modern setting.

It's just a game mechanic, not a part of the setting. Sometimes the two get divorced for the sake of both.

I mean, would you prefer it if the setting was altered to reflect this game mechanic? Like, they invented the Humphefal Device which continuously decants bullets, and that was mentioned over the course of the story?

I don't post if I don't have anything to say, which I guess makes me better than the rest of your so-called "community." 8)

So it is realistic for the setting?

I'm confused :bat:

Then stay confused. I have explained it quite clearly. You are in either need of remedial English or being an ass.

It's just a game mechanic, not a part of the setting. Sometimes the two get divorced for the sake of both.

Since Alpha Protocol is a CRPG the use of skills fits in the context of the genre and setting it is depicting. If you don't understand that then you do not understand the nature of RPGs. I have a feeling you do understand this and you just want to be an obstinant jerk towards the other posters here, basically trolling.

Since Alpha Protocol is a CRPG the use of skills fits in the context of the genre and setting it is depicting. If you don't understand that then you do not understand the nature of RPGs. I have a feeling you do understand this and you just want to be an obstinant jerk towards the other posters here, basically trolling.

No, since Alpha Protocol is a CRPG, the use of skills fits in the context of the game system. It does not fit into the spy genre or the action genre, or the modern era or the superspy world, none of which have people become more powerful in one thing by doing another thing a lot.

:bat: