NHL

I love our NHL thread :)

Jagr to the Oilers on a one year, 7 million dollar deal!

Where is that? It's just a rumor :p

Sharks picked up Rob Blake. 5 mil. seems a bit high for a guy that isn't as good as he used to be, but this could really help the Sharks get a powerplay together. I'm still hoping they manage to pull in Boyle, or trade for some solid defensive D-man.

Notice how the Leafs are the only ones not picking up any big names? Well, except Finger of course.. and.. uh.. that other guy.. FOR $3 MILLION A YEAR.

They brought Cujo back. That alone makes it a good offseason for the Leafs. And, being a Leafs fan/eternal optimist, I'm still holding out hope that Mats will return.

I took this job because I thought you were just a legend. Just a story. A story to scare little kids. But you're the real deal. The demon who dares to challenge God.

So what the hell do you want? Don't seem to me like you're out to make this stinkin' world a better place. Why you gotta kill all my men? Why you gotta kill me?

Nothing personal. It's just revenge.

What you posted had nothing to do with what you quote din my post. I directed my comments on the Pronger stuff Kor mentioned; not the other crap.

Exactly. Burke scored a Hall of Fame defenseman for a pretty good price, and won himself a Stanley Cup. No sense making a big deal about Lowe attempting to do whatever it takes to make his team better. Some things workout in your favour, some things don't.

Edited by alanschu

Wow, that's quite shocking. So the only superstar left from days goneby is Joe Sakic then? I won't count Sundin, since he's never won anything :x

Actually, I think Mats will hang up his skates this year. It's just a gut feeling.

bnwdancer9ma7pk.gif

Jaguars4ever is still alive.  No word of a lie.

Habs pick up Laraque. Not much to say on this one.

Habs pick up Marc Denis, some guy from Chicoutimi, Qu

"Alright, I've been thinking. When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade - make life take the lemons back! Get mad! I don't want your damn lemons, what am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life's manager. Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons. Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! With the lemons. I'm going to to get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that burns your house down!"

Busy 4th of July. I was elated to hear the Sharks got Boyle, but a bit sad they gave up a solid prospect in Wishart. Giving up Carle wasn't too bad, the Sharks still have a couple young guys in Erhoff and Vlasic.

I was then very bummed they trade Rivet to Buffalo. Rivet is a very solid guy who sticks up for his teammates. I know the Sharks want to replenish draft picks and drop salary, but I'd rather have Rivet than Blake. Still, the Sharks defense is better now than they were yesterday, so I can't complain too much. I'm recovering from the shock a bit.

I noticed Bernier was traded from Buffalo to Vancouver. This seems like a wierd trade for Buffalo. They seemed like a team commited to young talent, so giving away 2nd rounders and a 23 year old potential power forward seems unwise. Needless to say it's a good choice for Vancouver. Bernier has the potential to be a 40 goal guy, and at worst he'll probably fit comfortably on a second line and threaten for 20 every year.

I'm happy to see Jagr go to Russia, I think it's a great boost for the Russian Super League and I think he'll enjoy himself in that environment. He's probably got two years left where he can play at a really high level and I'm glad he's using his star power to help that league.

I noticed Bernier was traded from Buffalo to Vancouver. This seems like a wierd trade for Buffalo.

One of my friends at work is a die hard Canucks fan, and man has he been down lately. I keep telling him 'You still have Ryan Kesler and the Sedins, and that guy named Luongo'. He's heard of Bernier, but isn't sold on him yet. It is kind of odd that Buffalo would trade away what they got back for Campbell. That's todays NHL, I guess. Oh wait, the Oilers just did the same thing with Pitkanen. And Lupul before that.

Could Volo be right about the team loyalty thing?

Georges Laraque said he'd never play for Montreal either, not that that has anything to do with anything.

And getting Boyle is a decent move for the Sharks. He has mad offensive skills. I would have kept Carle and not even thought about signing Rob Blake. He'll be 40 this year, and the kids he'll be playing against won't be getting any slower...

bnwdancer9ma7pk.gif

Jaguars4ever is still alive.  No word of a lie.

L0L talk about moving on. :shifty:

Hey when people keep poking you, you respond back too.

The comments that Lowe made aren't reflective of not moving on. They're reflective of him wishing Burke finally would. But I agree with Lowe, Burke is a media junkie and does it for attention since he doesn't get much in the LA market.

I think it might be reflective of the new ownership as well.

Edited by alanschu

"The comments that Lowe made aren't reflective of not moving on."

Oh, please. The guy spent the article bashing his counterpart, and demeaning everything Burke has accomplished in the NHL. He even went the childish route of 'I have more cups then you! neener neener!"

What he forgets to emntion is that he won those cups as a player. Not only that, he was, perhaps, if he was lucky, the 10th best.most important player on those cup winning teams. L0L

As GMs, ther eis no doubt Burke is better. Lowe got lucky one year because he had Pronger at his best taking them on his back all the way to the finals.. then blew it by failing to keep Pronger and wife happy...

Burke > Lowe.

Any day of the week. Lowe, like that piece of crap Sather, cna go back to the 80s for all I care. Two dinosaurs who don't belong in 2008. They deserve each other.

Ther eis NO excuse for us losing Jagr - all because Jagr wanted a 3 year contract. it wasn't even about money sinc eboth sides were supposedly in agreement with the number.

Friggin' stupid pathetic Sather.

And, Lowe continues to make dumb moves that is obviously turning off potential free agents. It's no wonder star players don't want to go/stay in Edmonton for the most part despite all the money they wnat to throw.

Afterall, supposedly Edmonton wanted Jagr pretty bad. So much so theyw ere willing to offer him as much as $8 mil dollars... but Lowe in his infinite wisdom wouldn't give 3 years.Just like Sather. Idiots. Both of them.

Can anyone honestly say that within 3 seasons that jagr would too broken down to be still a productive NHLer? That's crap. It's even worse when we Rangers fans are told that we should be happy that we got that pathetic past his prime Markus Naslund who wasn't even a top 5 player in Canuck land any more. Meanwhile, Jagr was still the pratically undispuatble best player in NY (only possible exception is Lundqvist).

We've lost Jagr, Avery, Starak, and (thankfully) Shanahan.

We get in return (on offense) Naslund, that overrated punk from Columbus who'll be lucky to score 25 goals (considered a bad year goals wise for Jagr), and a few other nobodies. Yeah, whatever... And, we should be happy? Sickening.

Thankfully, our boosted efense and the ever awesome Lundqvist will likely get us into the playoffs still. But, i doubt anyone will take us seriously now as a threat to go far. At least with jagr we could do some damage.

Jagr controls games. Now, the Rangers have no skater who can completely dominate a game. Doomed.

And, teams have no loyalty. The Rangers proved this because they didn't feel jagr deserved a 3 year contract. Absolutely pathetic.

This is the worst Ranger decision since the Rangers allowed Mess to go to NY in favor of keeping Gretz... That was horrible for both sides. Even worse, was the firing of Neith "I Broke The Curse" Smith. Dummity dumd dumb.

And, Naslund? Naslund is supposed to the Jagr Repalcement? Give me a break!!!

:shifty::ermm::):x:x

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

You sound upset :shifty:

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

Roloson got injured the next season, so we can't really look at evidence either way. Plus, goaltending is a hot/cold position. Doing well in the playoffs one year doesn't necessarily translate into success the following year. Giguere had a phenomenal Cup run a few seasons back and then stunk it up in the regular season the next year. He won the MVP in the playoffs that year despite his team losing, I believe.

The Oilers were consistently outshot in the playoffs during their Cup run. I'm not saying Pronger doesn't deserve credit, as I said he's probably number 2 on the list, but Roloson deserves credit for his play.

Whats debatable is your ability to use logic and/or a keyboard

People laugh when I say that I think a jellyfish is one of the most beautiful things in the world. What they don't understand is, I mean a jellyfish with long, blond hair.

Nah. I cna sue logic. And, my using a keyboard is undebateable. My 'skills' (or lack thereof) is horrid. L0L

Still, let's stick with the topics.

The Oilers are nothing without Pronger. lowe, and company have sacred all the good players away from Edmonton.

Glen Sather is a moron who lost one of the best player sin the league - not for money - but haggling over years and the replacement he gets is a punk who is still living off of 5 years ago when he was actually a superstar.

LMAO

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

"The comments that Lowe made aren't reflective of not moving on."

Oh, please. The guy spent the article bashing his counterpart, and demeaning everything Burke has accomplished in the NHL. He even went the childish route of 'I have more cups then you! neener neener!"

Actually his point was that winning a Stanley Cup doesn't really make you all that special. Listen to the interview, the guy kept asking him about Burke stuff, and Lowe answered (it wasn't an "article" it was an interview, with websites and newspapers quoting what they want).

What he forgets to emntion is that he won those cups as a player. Not only that, he was, perhaps, if he was lucky, the 10th best.most important player on those cup winning teams. L0L

Proving your ignorance to Kevin Lowe's contributions as an Oiler. Lowe never played a single game in the minors, and only once was a team he played on unable to make the post-season. A lot like how NY crapped the bed without Sean Avery. He was a tough as nails, stay at home, defensive defenseman.

As GMs, ther eis no doubt Burke is better. Lowe got lucky one year because he had Pronger at his best taking them on his back all the way to the finals.. then blew it by failing to keep Pronger and wife happy...

Burke > Lowe.

Say that to the Vancouver franchise that Nonis tried to salvage. Not to mention some stellar contracts in Mathieu Schnieder and Todd Bertuzzi (since bought out) that left him susceptible to the whole offer sheet to Dustin Penner in the first place.

Any day of the week. Lowe, like that piece of crap Sather, cna go back to the 80s for all I care. Two dinosaurs who don't belong in 2008. They deserve each other.

Muffin.

And, Lowe continues to make dumb moves that is obviously turning off potential free agents. It's no wonder star players don't want to go/stay in Edmonton for the most part despite all the money they wnat to throw.

What dumb moves are those that are "obviously" turning off potential free agents. Hossa opted for an opportunity to win the cup rather than guaranteed money (kudos to him). Both Jagr and Hossa had nothing but good things to say about the Oilers and their negotiations.

Afterall, supposedly Edmonton wanted Jagr pretty bad. So much so theyw ere willing to offer him as much as $8 mil dollars... but Lowe in his infinite wisdom wouldn't give 3 years.Just like Sather. Idiots. Both of them.

Three years at $8 million is a good chunk of change. The Oilers have important contracts coming up in the next two years, in particular their rookies (Sam Gagner in particular), as well as players like Shawn Horcoff, as well as both goalie contracts.

Can anyone honestly say that within 3 seasons that jagr would too broken down to be still a productive NHLer? That's crap. It's even worse when we Rangers fans are told that we should be happy that we got that pathetic past his prime Markus Naslund who wasn't even a top 5 player in Canuck land any more. Meanwhile, Jagr was still the pratically undispuatble best player in NY (only possible exception is Lundqvist).

Jagr's point totals have dwindled, so perhaps teams were hesitant to give him a long term contract because he is over 35 years old, so if he retires, the team is on the hook for the entire contract still from a cap hit perspective. It's something you see with every player that is 35 and over.

And, teams have no loyalty. The Rangers proved this because they didn't feel jagr deserved a 3 year contract. Absolutely pathetic.

It's uncommon for teams or players to have any loyalty. It's been that way for a long time now.