BREAKING NEWS: CRYSIS DEVS BAIL OUT! CONSOLES ARE THE FUTURE!

Llyranor

http://www.pcplay.hr/modules.php?r=23

PC Play: How do you estimate the current state of the PC gaming industry? Some say that it's only a matter of time when it's going to finally die-off, the others say that "the big one" is only getting its comeback pace.

Considering Crysis is a PC-exclusive title, what do you think of its market reception and its future? Skeptics would say that it's pretty risky going PC-exclusive with such a high-profile title.

Cevat Yerli: It is certainly. We are suffering currently from the huge piracy that is encompassing Crysis. We seem to lead the charts in piracy by a large margin, a chart leading that is not desirable. I believe that

Hadescopy.jpg

(Approved by Fio, so feel free to use it)

Maybe the reason why a game like Crysis sell 4-5 time more than Crysis for PC is the simple fact that most people actually can play the game on their PS3 or Xbox 360 console. As I understand the system requirements (recommended) they are very -ehm - steep. The point here of course being that many PC gamers might like to play Crysis, but haven't the PC machine that's capable of running the game.

Also, please don't blame PC gaming as the main reason for why your game is not selling as much as expected. (I don't support or condone piracy in any way, shape or form). The thing is that people who pirate games probably won't buy your game anyway - sad :p but true. And again, this is an explanation why people pirate games, not a post defending the action of these people...

Edited by aries101

Please support http://www.maternityworldwide.org/ - and save a mother giving birth to a child.

Please support, Andrew Bub, the gamerdad - at http://gamingwithchildren.com/

The thing is that people who pirate games probably won't buy your game anyway

Pirates aren't some awkward sub-group of gamers devoid of the same drives to possess new games as the rest of us. The same motives that apply to us purchasing new games still apply to them. They just cut out the purchase part.

It's not like, if they didn't infringe, they'd decide to go outside or play some game they bought 5 years ago any more likely than the rest of us.

Edited by Tale
"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

We need Di in here to explain why piracy is bad.

I don't think we need her to explain the obvious.

Murphy's Law of Computer Gaming: The listed minimum specifications written on the box by the publisher are not the minimum specifications of the game set by the developer.

@\NightandtheShape/@ - "Because you're a bizzare strange deranged human?"

Walsingham- "Sand - always rushing around, stirring up apathy."

Joseph Bulock - "Another headache, courtesy of Sand"

Maybe the reason why a game like Crysis sell 4-5 time more than Crysis for PC is the simple fact that most people actually can play the game on their PS3 or Xbox 360 console. As I understand the system requirements (recommended) they are very -ehm - steep. The point here of course being that many PC gamers might like to play Crysis, but haven't the PC machine that's capable of running the game.

I believe you hit your head on the nail there. Of all my friends, only me and another guy had the muscle needed to actually enjoy Crysis. It wasnt just a matter of looks, I believe the physics and many other things suffered considerably when playing it on low settings.

There wa also the question of launch date, Crysis had to wrestle with some MAJOR heavy-hitters like CoD4, Gears of war and Assassins Creed on release. Not alot of peope chose to spend their money on Crysis.

Cross-platform is the way to go, IMO. The more possible customers you have, the better. You might need to outsource the "porting" to other companies, but its probably worth it. You have 250+ million PC users, 19 million Xboxers and 13 million PS3's out there to sell to

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

I don't think it's that simple. Many people will indeed don't buy a game just because they can't download it illegally. Just like people won't suddenly go watch a movie in cinema if they can't get it for free on the internet.

Of course there will be people who would buy the game if it's the only way to get it, but I wouldn't bank on it being the majority. There are many people who will try out something if they can get it for free, but have zero interest if they have to pay for it.

In my experience, those who use pirate copies aren't the ones who rush out to get a game they were dying to get.

I think piracy is a major problem in certain countries, but in the US I have to agree that these people probably aren't going to buy anyways. I don't think movies and games should be available to these leeches, but I don't think you can blame a lack of sales on them. People with money typically don't get their jollies by watching free movies on the internet and downloading cracked software.

I bought Crysis, but I spend a LOT of money on my PC yearly. Noone else in my entire circle of friends has a computer even capable of running Crysis (except my mom, who I built a computer for this Christmas). I think the performance rumours swirling around Crysis hurt sales much more than piracy ever did.

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

It's not only that, but so much of the hype surrounding Crysis was built up around how the game looks. I'm not even sure about the actual system requirements for the game, but I'm willing to bet that a lot of people skipped on it because they know they couldn't max out the graphics, and I simply think the game loses its appeal to a lot of people right there. I'm sure it's a nice enough game, but I really don't think the majority of people would buy this thinking that it's some kind of amazingly innovative shooter.

If I were interested in these types of games, then Crysis would quite frankly be pretty much the ultimate "piracy target". Because I wouldn't want to buy this game and risk getting subpar graphics or performance, it feels like the entire point (again, a lot of the hype was built around its looks) is the visuals even if the game itself may not be bad at all.

Listen to my home-made recordings (some original songs, some not): http://www.youtube.c...low=grid&view=0

You could say the same of Farcry. Who actually bought that engine?

Edited by Tale
"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

A handful. There's an MMO being made off the Farcry engine if I'm not mistaken. And the army bought the rights to the Crysis engine.

Crysis was a pretty fun FPS if you approached it from the same POV as you would have approached Independence Day when you were twelve years old. There are a number of **** yeah! *fist pump* moments that you have to open yourself up to. Particularly the "I'll walk on water if I have to" spiel from the old marine.

That having been said, I only played Crysis because I got a sweet-ass new rig. It's actually distressing because aside from Crysis, NWN2 and STALKER there's not much I have that wasn't already running reasonably on the old machine.

You could say the same of Farcry. Who actually bought that engine?

NCsoft.

CryEngine 2 seems to do better with a few TBA games. Considering that the wikipedia part about the engines features is written pretty much as an advertisement they might be looking for more people to license the engine.

Are you a carebear?

I care about your mom!

Where were you going with this?

Edited by Moatilliatta
sporegif20080614235048aq1.gif