Atari got the Icewind Dale license

H

http://www.uspto.gov/main/profiles/acadres.htm

Do a trademark search and you'll get this:

Word Mark ICEWIND DALE

Goods and Services IC 009. US 021 023 026 036 038. G & S: Electronic, video and multimedia game software for use on personal computers and electronic game playing machines; recorded computer game software programs; video game machines for use with television receivers; downloadable video game software; and magnetic, optical and numerical computer game programs

Standard Characters Claimed

Mark Drawing Code (4) STANDARD CHARACTER MARK

Serial Number 77380064

Filing Date January 24, 2008

Current Filing Basis 1B

Original Filing Basis 1B

Owner (APPLICANT) Atari Interactive, Inc. CORPORATION DELAWARE 417 Fifth Avenue New York NEW YORK 100162204

Attorney of Record Kristen J. Keller

Type of Mark TRADEMARK

Register PRINCIPAL

Live/Dead Indicator LIVE

I wonder who could develop a sequel... :thumbsup:

20795.jpg

Holy crap.

Icewind Dale would look pretty damn good on the Jade Empire engine.

Well, they'd have to tune down the bloom or you wouldn't be able to see anything.

KotOR 2 was naturally deal with LA

And IIRC Obz LOVED idea of getting to work on new IWD - let me dig something up ;)

How can it be a no ob build. It has PROVEN effective. I dare you to show your builds and I will tear you apart in an arugment about how these builds will won them.

- OverPowered Godzilla (OPG)

Frankly, I'd be happier if Obsidian never worked on sequels, ever again.

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

I don't know, after doing AP and Aliens (and one more, was there?) surely they could come back to it as the smaller of their three concurrent projects. I think the devs are somewhere between maybe and likely for an IWD spiritual sequel.

Of course, if Obsids ended up doing K3 (gah) then it would be going overboard.

No, it wasn't in the Top Ten threads...

Then I guess it must've been someones interview (I place my money I saw it in Gamebanshee), propably Feargus's or Sawyer's

edit: This isn't what I've been searching for but it is another indicator (from "moar D&D games plz" thread)

I'm speaking for myself here, but I really love working on D&D games - even after working on a bunch of multi-year D&D projects (IWD1 [plus IWD1: HoW and IWD1:Trials,] IWD2, BGDA, BGDA2, NWN2.) D&D is near and dear to many of us at Obsidian, and if the planets are in alignment, D&D games are always something we get very excited about working on, and our "master plan" definitely doesn't rule out doing more of them.

Of course there's an appeal to work on new, original, and different games too; fortunately we have multiple dev teams at Obsidian, and if Atari's interested in new D&D games and we have people available and can keep food on the table for our devs, we'll try to figure out how to do it.

4th Edition looks pretty frickin' cool too....

Edited by Xard

How can it be a no ob build. It has PROVEN effective. I dare you to show your builds and I will tear you apart in an arugment about how these builds will won them.

- OverPowered Godzilla (OPG)

keep in mind, another game based on the IWD name would not really be a "sequel" anymore (nor would another BG) simply because it has been so long since the previous game. for that matter, IWDII wasn't really a sequel, either, though there was a thin connection to the first.

taks

comrade taks... just because.

Could an Icewind Dale-esque game even get funding in this day and age? IWD is pretty old skool gaming at this point. ANd I remember when it seemd so new skool, too. Sad. I've been through too many skools. :(

Notice how I can belittle your beliefs without calling you names. It's a useful skill to have particularly where you aren't allowed to call people names. It's a mistake to get too drawn in/worked up. I mean it's not life or death, it's just two guys posting their thoughts on a message board. If it were personal or face to face all the usual restraints would be in place, and we would never have reached this place in the first place. Try to remember that.

Could an Icewind Dale-esque game even get funding in this day and age? IWD is pretty old skool gaming at this point. ANd I remember when it seemd so new skool, too. Sad. I've been through too many skools. :(

Fallout managed it.

As did Morrowind (Daggerfall).

And System Shock 2 (Bioshock was intended as essentially a spiritual sequel)

Plenty of games manage to get sequels many years later. *shrug*

Fallout managed it.

You forgot about this.

Fallout managed it.

Yeah, well Bioshock is more an argument FOR my question rather than a rebuttal, Krezzie.

IWD seems too complex for the next-gen design paradigm. Publishers would probably feel to many gamers would be alientated by said complexity. I would imagine it would have to be dumbed down...err... streamlined to get funding. So would a streamlined IWD sequel still be worth the name?

Notice how I can belittle your beliefs without calling you names. It's a useful skill to have particularly where you aren't allowed to call people names. It's a mistake to get too drawn in/worked up. I mean it's not life or death, it's just two guys posting their thoughts on a message board. If it were personal or face to face all the usual restraints would be in place, and we would never have reached this place in the first place. Try to remember that.

Fallout managed it.

You forgot about this.

lolz. But people keep reminding me, damnit.

Hasnt ATARi always had the license for Icewind Dale? OR was that back in the day when they didnt have exclusive rights to everything D&D related?

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

i think the biggest thing an IWD follow-up would require, at least in order to remain true to the original "spirit" of the game, would simply be a dungeon hack without a huge amount of party interaction. i.e., you don't pick up NPCs (which simplifies game design) and you're simply off to loot the various dungeons and eliminate whatever evil is currently plaguing the land. cast this idea into the latest crop of 3D engines and it is no less viable than any other D&D product that's been released recently (or planned for future release).

personally, in this respect, i found IWD to be MUCH more simple than most of the other IE games (or D&D games in general). more focus was put into what was going on, rather than how your party is dealing with it. the BGs had some stand-alone aspects that involved a rather complex back-story as well, not unlike the whole severed hand thing in IWD. IWD just happened to have some sort of cool, perhaps even complex, back-story for each of the separate areas, even though they were all ultimately tied together into one big story.

taks

comrade taks... just because.

would simply be a dungeon hack without a huge amount of party interaction.

taks

old skool, baby! *sniff* brings a tear to the eye, it does.

taks

hi. :(

I never did play ICW since I dont like hack n slash very much. And combat on the IE is about as exciting as watching paint dry, anyways. This IP is better left on the shelf, IMO.

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

And combat on the IE is about as exciting as watching paint dry, anyways.

Now, now. I think you are selling the IE short. Combat in the IE is AT LEAST as exciting as watching grass grow. AT least. SO there. :(

[quote name='H

What they need to do is make a Icewind Dale game exactly like they did it with the Infinity Engine but this time use the newest Unreal Engine. :D

Murphy's Law of Computer Gaming: The listed minimum specifications written on the box by the publisher are not the minimum specifications of the game set by the developer.

@\NightandtheShape/@ - "Because you're a bizzare strange deranged human?"

Walsingham- "Sand - always rushing around, stirring up apathy."

Joseph Bulock - "Another headache, courtesy of Sand"

Love to see the Icewind Dale franchise continue.

The music, artwork, random items with and their excellent descriptions, exotic locations, sense of loneness and desolation is second to none. Cut out the numerous encounters and focus on world/party interaction and make each encounter challenging and memorable, hell by the time I finished Dragons Eye in the first game I had over 700 kills.

Just keeping your ****ing cut scenes and forced companions away :ermm:

Edit: The environment could end up being your greatest adversary. Now that would be interesting!

Edited by Kelverin

I was toying around with teh idea of using the Fallout engine to make a game that was exactly like fallout. Thatd be awesome.

Icewind Dale 3, Wyrms of the North, 150 hrs hack'n slash, improved Mystary-engine, 30 outdoor-areas & 10 dungeons, 6-man-party strategic RT with pause- combat. To be released soon.. :ermm:

J.