What you did today

Walsingham

Hello i love you won't you jump in my gamePost Data Saved!

The following post data has been saved. In some cases, using your browser's back button will empty out form fields which results in the loss of any typed and unsaved material. You may select all of the text area below and copy before hitting back.

We didn't think we were drunk last night until I pointed out we were in the middle of singing Danny Boy in the street, following a one hour discussion about the correct shape for young ladies.

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

nothing life threatening

well... mostly not life threatening

just telecommunications sorta stuff for police/hospitals/city councils

when your mind works against you - fight back with substance abuse!

man shryke is such a tough guy

How can it be a no ob build. It has PROVEN effective. I dare you to show your builds and I will tear you apart in an arugment about how these builds will won them.

- OverPowered Godzilla (OPG)

I just read "Guns N' Roses" aka Axl Rose has finished Chinese Democracy after 13 million dollars and 14 years

This is impossible. What the hell.

Edited by Xard

How can it be a no ob build. It has PROVEN effective. I dare you to show your builds and I will tear you apart in an arugment about how these builds will won them.

- OverPowered Godzilla (OPG)

I'm ashamed to say that one of my best days of work ever happened after being up all night drinking. I had to pretend I was sick. By brute force of will I held it together and I think as a byproduct my output was very hard nosed and coldly analytical.

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

first i got up, then i had a piece of toast...*

i installed a leadless chip-scale package (CSP) on a printed circuit board (PCB) this morning. it's a board i designed (with another engineer) that produces a clock for an analog to digital converter (ADC) circut as well as a local oscillator (LO) for an RF circuit. the part is only 4 mm on a side, with 6 "pins" on the underside along with a "paddle" designed as a heat-sink for the part (which is a low-dropout voltage regulator). since the "pins" are on the underside of the board, it is impossible to solder it down using a soldering iron. i had to heat the board with a heat gun until the solder i had put on each pad melted, then i had to drop the part in place taking care not to move it too much (else solder bridges between pins may connect - which happened on my first attempt). this has to be done under a bench microscope (designed for PCB work).

i have one more part to do, but it has 16 pins in about the same package size. these pins are space only 6 mils apart (6 thousandths of an inch, or 0.1524 mm), so alignment is critical. i've been working under a 'scope for nearly 13 years so that's not a problem. the problem is that i'm getting old and my hands shake enough that it is difficult to hold the heat gun in one hand and the part in the other (with tweezers) while maintaining proper alignment . there's a reason i'm not a surgeon. :p

taks

*futurama joke.

Edited by taks

comrade taks... just because.

i installed a leadless chip-scale package (CSP) on a printed circuit board (PCB) this morning. it's a board i designed (with another engineer) that produces a clock for an analog to digital converter (ADC) circut as well as a local oscillator (LO) for an RF circuit. the part is only 4 mm on a side, with 6 "pins" on the underside along with a "paddle" designed as a heat-sink for the part (which is a low-dropout voltage regulator). since the "pins" are on the underside of the board, it is impossible to solder it down using a soldering iron. i had to heat the board with a heat gun until the solder i had put on each pad melted, then i had to drop the part in place taking care not to move it too much (else solder bridges between pins may connect - which happened on my first attempt). this has to be done under a bench microscope (designed for PCB work).

[buzz lightyear] You're mocking me, aren't you? [/buzz lightyear]

-Elwood Blues

I got a job today, translating National Geographic documentaries. Woohoo!

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

[buzz lightyear] You're mocking me, aren't you? [/buzz lightyear]

of course not. i just happen to have one of those jobs that allows a very high level of daily geekness.

actually, i'm all but out of the board design biz. this is the first actual design i've done in about 4 years. i'm mostly an algorithm developer now (which implies lots of software). we just had a need and i've got the right experience. i've done several dozen board designs, actually, though this one ranks on the low-end of the complexity scale of the boards i previously designed. i'm kicking myself for not using an alternate part with actual leads on it, btw. i wasn't thinking in terms of what it would take to assemble this board myself before i built it (i can also do assembly/soldering, but my quality sucks compared to a good tech).

right now, i'm testing a phase-lock loop (PLL) eval-board (the LO from above) that mounts on top of the board i designed. it's performance is not nearly as good as the danged site claims (national semiconductor). i think my reference oscillator is the source of the issue, however. it's an old HP8648A, but i am using the reference output (10 MHz). hopefully the double-oven crystal oscillator i have on my board provides better performance.

taks

comrade taks... just because.

Going to work out how I can play the first 45 minutes of football, probably in goal despite being 165cm tall, then in 15 minutes of half-time getting changed, making myself non-filthy, going to church, then doing church practice, then come back, and do an official 'sample run' of the daily online ethnography to be conducted by yours truly every day for the next 10 weeks for my honours thesis.

edit: No, it's not Obsidian, though it'd be easier if it was.