The closest thing to Skynet so far

Humodour

http://www.physorg.com/news125321581.html

[...]

This trial-and-error learning approach was tested by making the COSPAL robot complete a shape-sorting puzzle, but without telling it what it had to do. As it tried to fit pegs into holes it gradually learnt what would fit where, allowing it to complete the puzzle more quickly and accurately each time.

That's one helluva freaky robot :*

How can it be a no ob build. It has PROVEN effective. I dare you to show your builds and I will tear you apart in an arugment about how these builds will won them.

- OverPowered Godzilla (OPG)

Both are cool breakthroughs but the "dog" is more WHOAH! I mean, 5 years ago, they could barely get a robot to walk slowly over a plane surface without falling over every 10 seconds (slight exxageration)

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

Soon we'll have tachikomas :*:grin:

That part where they kicked the "dog" and it didn't fall and jumping thing in the end were OMGAWTFGARBLEWTF-moments

Edited by Xard

How can it be a no ob build. It has PROVEN effective. I dare you to show your builds and I will tear you apart in an arugment about how these builds will won them.

- OverPowered Godzilla (OPG)

Did you see this in the news recently?

The way the legs move reminds me of the metal gears out of MGS4.

****, that one is awesome Dan. I wonder what powers it. Centre of gravity algorithms perhaps?

This robot is similarly awesome. Instead of being taught how to walk it learns by itself - with no human input.

And when you break off one of its legs, it learns a new method of walking.

Again, it relies on optimisation (competition and selection - similar to an evolutionary algorithm).

clearly that thing has a sense of balance, i.e. it can sense the vector towards which it is falling and place a leg appropriately to stop or stem the rate of the fall. most previous walking demonstrations i've seen only work on flat surfaces without anything impeding the direction of travel. this is a hella breakthrough, IMO.

taks

comrade taks... just because.