The beer thread

samm

Using the forum search, I found out that the last topic concerning beer was closed three years ago. We can't let this happen, I thought, so here's a new one. The reason for opening this thread is that today, I drank my first two Canadian beers. They were not bad, in fact, their effect quite surprised me at first. It was called 'La fin du monde' and is brewed by une brasserie qu

Citizen of a country with a racist, hypocritical majority

Friend of mine started brewing his own beer. Theres many local brewers around here where i live, Ann Arbor Michigan.

I myself rarely drink, and only when my body starts to hurt, it helps numb the physical pain. I enjoy a Summer Ale once in awhile.

Always outnumbered, never out gunned!

Unreal Tournament 2004 Handle:Enlight_2.0

Myspace Website!

My rig

Friend of mine started brewing his own beer. Theres many local brewers around here where i live, Ann Arbor Michigan.

I myself rarely drink, and only when my body starts to hurt, it helps numb the physical pain. I enjoy a Summer Ale once in awhile.

I tried that a few years back but I never could get it right. It was always way over carbonated and tasted like beer flavored champagne. I never could get the hang of it.

My favorite brands are Sam Adams, Guiness, and Spanish Peaks but when cash is tight a plain old Budweiser will do.

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

Then I found out they put sugar in this strong beer (9% vol.), which explains why the alcoohol kicked in so fast. Putting sugar in a beer is like spicing up sour wine with sugar: immoral...

um, most home brews actually require that you add sugar of some sort as you bottle. this sugar does not show up as sugar by the time you drink it, however, it serves as food for yeast which increases the alcohol content during the final fermentation stage. that's the only real way to get the percentage up over 3-4% as far as i know.

taks

comrade taks... just because.

btw, if you're in to ales, colorado is the place to be. i think only oregon has more microbrews per capita, btw. i drink scotch/scottish ales. the local version is laughing lab by bristol brewing, and odell has a really good one called 90 schilling. of course, new belgium is also in colorado, but i think their beers are way overrated. fat tire kinda sucks, in fact.

taks

Well I just got back from a week of drinking (first week of uni for my friends) so my revised tastes would be:

Carlton Draught - I don't like it any more. I think it's too 'sweet'.

Toohey's Extra Dry - It's too dry and tastes like tonic water. Also dryness causes bad hangovers.

Victoria Bitter (VB) - It's not my first or second choice but it's not THAT terrible, really.

Corona - Lovely stuff.

Crown Lager - Lovely stuff.

Guiness - Great stuff if I'm in the mood. More of a meal than an alcohol, though.

Kilkenny - All time favourite beer.

Cooper's Pale Ale - Brewed in the bottle. Has a distinct metallic taste - the beer I was drinking most this week.

Staropramen, Urquell

Fine czech beers, especially the former :) I'm still looking for ways to get hold of a Zlatopramen here, but it seems quite impossible...

My favourite locals would be some of the 'Locher' brewery, namely 'Qu

Citizen of a country with a racist, hypocritical majority

Corona - Lovely stuff.

:*

kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

It has made me the man I am today. A man who craves furry hentai.

So let us go and embrace the rustling smells of unseen worlds

All kinds of lovely english real ales, I'm rather fond of organic ones.

Totally with you there. Another benefit of organic ales is that they boost your immune system.

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

Recently I've found a little store in Round Top that sell those really tiny kegs, what we call shetland kegs, of Spaten and Stella Artois. Its can be difficult to find much besides the big three around here, so this is like kid in a candy store type stuff. We killed the last Oktoberfest last month, I hope I don't have to wait the better part of six months to see any again there, but it probably won't matter.

People laugh when I say that I think a jellyfish is one of the most beautiful things in the world. What they don't understand is, I mean a jellyfish with long, blond hair.

Corona is excellent when I don't really feel like drinking. It's the closest you can get to a non-alcoholic beer without being really lame.

? corona is 4.6% by volume, which is standard for nearly all beers without doing something extra. even guiness is only 4% or so.

taks

I have never cared for Corona. I like it even less when I founf out it wan't even made in Mexico anymore. It's made in El Paso now. Well, I guess there isn't much differencce any more. The best Mexican beer is Dos Equis and Nocha Buena. That second one is hard to come by, it's not for export.

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

btw, if you're in to ales, colorado is the place to be. i think only oregon has more microbrews per capita, btw. i drink scotch/scottish ales. the local version is laughing lab by bristol brewing, and odell has a really good one called 90 schilling. of course, new belgium is also in colorado, but i think their beers are way overrated. fat tire kinda sucks, in fact.

taks

Well living in England, and having lived in Oregon, and having drank many ales which are on offer in both areas, it is fair to say that even the Oregon ale holds nothing at the side of English ale, I sampled as many American ales as I could, and in all honesty, Fat Tire was certainly one of the better ales on offer... But as far as brewing of beer goes, America has never really been anywhere near as good as Europe, and as far as ale goes, there is no better place than the British Isles.

Heck even a tiny country like Estonia has more high quality beers than America.

RS_Silvestri_01.jpg

"I'm a programmer at a games company... REET GOOD!" - Me

I have never cared for Corona. I like it even less when I founf out it wan't even made in Mexico anymore. It's made in El Paso now. Well, I guess there isn't much differencce any more. The best Mexican beer is Dos Equis and Nocha Buena. That second one is hard to come by, it's not for export.
Much prefer Negro Modelo, my favorite Mexican beer, the wife loves Corona.

Sierra Nevada Pale Ale is my favorite, and I have done my fair share of research :thumbsup:

alcohol content 5.6% by volume

yeast Top-fermenting Ale Yeast

beginning gravity 13.0 Plato

bittering hops Magnum & Perle

ending gravity 2.8 Plato

finishing hops Cascade

bitterness units 37

malts Two-row Pale & Caramel

Corona is excellent when I don't really feel like drinking. It's the closest you can get to a non-alcoholic beer without being really lame.

? corona is 4.6% by volume, which is standard for nearly all beers without doing something extra. even guiness is only 4% or so.

taks

I don't know, it could just be a mental thing. I just never feel all that drunk drinking Corona.

Fat Tire was certainly one of the better ales on offer...

fat tire is terrible compared to most of the beers i drink in CO.

But as far as brewing of beer goes, America has never really been anywhere near as good as Europe, and as far as ale goes, there is no better place than the British Isles.

well, sam adams is winning international awards... they've got 20 some odd beers now.

Heck even a tiny country like Estonia has more high quality beers than America.

hehe, there's a difficult statement to back up. there are literally thousands of beers in the US, most of which don't make it out of their home state.

taks

Corona are pretty popular here in Australia. Girls are prone to drinking it even if they don't drink beer.

Another I like is Stella Artois.

A suggestion: Don't drink Toohey's Extra Dry Platinums. 7% alcohol + all the bad stuff of normal extra dries. Man, those give killer hangovers.

Edited by Krezack