Jokela School shooting

Musopticon?

Psychosis is a condition marked by false perceptions, what does that have to do with anything? Did the article say they had a history of hallucinations?

What I meant was that you can't reform someone who throws themselves under a tram.

"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

David Berkowitz killed people because his dog told him to do it. Depression doesen't usually equate with violence, now I don't have any qualifications to use these terms correctly, but why do you think people would plan a mass murder - sucicide, unless it's because their perception of whats going on around them is entirely out of whack.

Na na  na na  na na  ...

greg358 from Darksouls 3 PVP is a CHEATER.

That is all.

why do you think people would plan a mass murder - sucicide, unless it's because their perception of whats going on around them is entirely out of whack.

Speculation and "why do you think" questions don't qualify as an explanation for behavior. It could be that they believe everyone is out to get them (possibly psychotic), they may hear voices (psychotic), or maybe they just want attention or revenge (NOT psychotic).

Edited by Tale
"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

Clinical depression isn't just feeling poo. The emotional component reciprocates with perception (like most emotions) and colours your worldview. "I see a red door and I want it painted black." The worldview of someone who thinks so little of everyone and everything that they are willing to destroy irreplaceable bits of it would be consistent with that.

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

Good God! The German police just stopped another one before it happened. What the heck is going on in the world. What is this handbasket we're in and where are we going?

Link!:http://www.cnn.com/2007/WORLD/europe/11/18...plot/index.html

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

^Welcome to yesterday (see post 69). :o

I hang my head in shame!

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

Clinical depression isn't just feeling poo. The emotional component reciprocates with perception (like most emotions) and colours your worldview. "I see a red door and I want it painted black." The worldview of someone who thinks so little of everyone and everything that they are willing to destroy irreplaceable bits of it would be consistent with that.

When I see a red door I want to paint it purple with yellow and green poka dots. :lol:

Murphy's Law of Computer Gaming: The listed minimum specifications written on the box by the publisher are not the minimum specifications of the game set by the developer.

@\NightandtheShape/@ - "Because you're a bizzare strange deranged human?"

Walsingham- "Sand - always rushing around, stirring up apathy."

Joseph Bulock - "Another headache, courtesy of Sand"

Unless they hate the world as much as themselves and want to take out any and everyone they can before they snuff it by either their own hand or by authorities (suicide by cop).

Murphy's Law of Computer Gaming: The listed minimum specifications written on the box by the publisher are not the minimum specifications of the game set by the developer.

I don't know if you have to hate the world. Isn't thinking everything worthless even worse than hate?

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

I think someone mentioned in this thread that this has gone from an american problem among its youth, to an international phenomenon in the western culture. Really sad.

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

I think someone mentioned in this thread that this has gone from an american problem among its youth, to an international phenomenon in the western culture. Really sad.

It is indeed interesting. It's more like terrorism, in my opinion, than organised warfare.

-Elwood Blues

I think the concept of a mass shooting at a school or business may come from a very badly perverted ideal celebrated by western culture, the image of John Wayne standing alone in front of the town clock tower at high noon to take on a dozen or more bad guys and come out on top, going out with guns blazing when logic and the whole town tells him to surrender. It is a very western concept, increasingly popular and used as an inspirational plot device in just about every medium, and while there's nothing wrong with the idea as culture depicts it, a good guy standing up against a crowd, the crazies twist it like they twist every other rational thought--the oppressors become the classmates and coworkers. Surrender or suicide should be the sane path out, but violence is the ideal way.

But I happen to like John Wayne and I wouldn't like to see the real idea removed from our culture. I would of course like to see a world without the mentally ill who twist it around to something bad, but they're always going to be around, no matter what culture you live in.

I don't know if you have to hate the world. Isn't thinking everything worthless even worse than hate?

Depends on where you place worth. Some people say life is precious thing, but how precious something is determined by its rarity and with 6 billion people and more joining each and every day that rarity is not readily seen so human life is loses its glitter, but if you take the scope of the universe we may be just one tiny spec of a world in an otherwise dead reality thusly in truth life is really rare.

Okay, I am rambling nonsense. BLAH!

:thumbsup:

Depends on where you place worth. Some people say life is precious thing, but how precious something is determined by its rarity and with 6 billion people and more joining each and every day that rarity is not readily seen so human life is loses its glitter, but if you take the scope of the universe we may be just one tiny spec of a world in an otherwise dead reality thusly in truth life is really rare.

Okay, I am rambling nonsense. BLAH!

:thumbsup:

I side with your latter point, up to a point. However, the truly extraordinary thing about life is its potential. Even if some of the guys who get killed were as thuggish and inane as the shooters claim they might still have changed over time. Unfortunately we'll never know now.

I'd like to expand on my previous point. Steve said earlier that government violence legitimised incidents like this. I think that a general post-sixties solipsism and new capitalism. The basic principle is that the customer/individual is usually right, and the collective is wrong. We're encouraged in every single walk of life to behave as we choose, with little regard for others. This has had its positiv side in incraesed poltical activism, but it's also had its negative side. I think this sort of behaviour is one aspect of it.

Or I could be getting all pop psych.

-Elwood Blues

This is merely a copy-cat incident, most likely was a big fan of the tech shooting in the us and wanted to copy it.

Jedi Master Altena Windwalker

Pub 9 Elder Jedi, Star Wars Galaxies: Nurf of the Jedi

"We are oft to blame in this--'tis too much proved. --that with devotion's visage and pious action...we do suger o'er the devil himself. " - V

"Spelling errors in my post, oh noes! I'm Japanese and English is not primery language plus I'm dyslexic.

no it wasn't

genius

How can it be a no ob build. It has PROVEN effective. I dare you to show your builds and I will tear you apart in an arugment about how these builds will won them.

- OverPowered Godzilla (OPG)