Mask o' the Betrayer!

Pop

So far the I'm always keeping an eye on the Spirit Meter, but nothing too drastic yet. I'm generally keeping my craving very low, so I'm not too starved even going about the Academy of Shapers which I personally find so fascinating.

Gorth makes a good point of feeling compelled to rush through because of the curse, which is a negative side effect.

Spreading beauty with my katana.

Haha, good point. :)

Besides the major (unwanted?) allignment points, I've got to say that the Spirit Eating mechanic's influencing my playing stile like it should I think. It certainly adds a lot of depth to the conversation choices.

I approach the mechanic in this order of priorities:

1. Don't die or let it drop below 40

2. Keep my craving very low (which limits the types of feats I use)

3. Alignment concerns

Spreading beauty with my katana.

I don't know why the argument is all around SE curse as stopping you from resting. While that is certainly probably a big point with it, I mean... it's just about adding a distinct layer of gameplay to the xpack, I think. It certainly wasn't built as complex as it is with the primary purpose of preventing resting, whatever OE might have said before.

Edited by Tigranes

ps spider did open self up big time with that bit 'bout not having bothered to read the feat descriptions... fact that he chose some mod that would knowingly prevent him from being able to read info in a game he had never played before just tickles our funny bone. pretty much absolves the developers o' any sin as you really did ask for a handicapped game experience.

Except you missed the part where I said it hardly affected my game play experience at all (my craving went up once where it wouldn't have otherwise). Oh and also the part where I never complained about it. So even if did I add self-imposed difficulty (which I don't really think I did) to the game, that really has nothing to do with anything.

(Hell, it most likelyeven made me like the game more, since my major complaint has been that it was too easy, something Cantousent can attest to :shifty: )

"Oh and also the part where I never complained about it."

is tough to genuine complain 'bout your own foolishness.

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

So, I made my way to Thaymount....

Somebody must have had a lot of fun coming up with the stuff in the academy. Just listening to the classes on soul splitting and merging :lol:

One question though. I know the game isn't really linear, but I still wonder about a journal/quest entry from the Ashenwood (sp?). I think I got it from the corpses of some Malar followers, lying in the snow, but I am not sure anymore. One is about the blood (from a vicious beast) and the other is about finding a possible survivor. I found the blood, but doesn't really need it, since I chose the "good" option helping the sick tree and I found two men, one of them dying. I offered to help his mate, but he seemed determined that letting him croak was part of a natural order. With friends like these and all that :thumbsup:

Still, those two things seems to have got stuck with superglue in my journal. Are they still "removable" or should I give Cantousent a hard time? :p

Edit: Btw. the Skein was awesome :)

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

There's a few journal entries that you can get stuck with, it would seem.

"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

Ok, a few things at the Thay academy is making me wish Qara was here, and in a bad mood too ;)

I got the mirrors all set up and create a nice light show. I can put my party members (except kaji) in there and get "duplicates" in the other end, i.e. Ukko before he got all colourful, Safiya's (sp?) mother, Kaelyn the not so dove like and myself with a big ugly mask (I supposed that is the mask the game is named after).

Question: Does it serve any purpose other than looking nice? I can make the images pop like soap bubbles when their counterparts try to initiate dialogue, but the only one who responds differently is Safiya (sp?) who addresses the image as "Mother?"

I couldn't find any obvious combination of two souls for the two "merchants" in the instructors quarters. Is what they want really made up of any of the 5 souls in the soul library? Limited hints, or even just one of the soul houseing # will do.

I think I tried offering each of them to the guy with the substitute soul, but he turned them all down. Did I miss something or did I screw up my counting when taking one at a time? I just need to know if it was one of those readily available.

I could either embarras myself in public and ask here, or I could sink so low, as to start looking for walkthroughs. Something I just don't want to do until completing the game once... I must really be getting old, not being able to solve these things without breaking a sweat ;)

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

Safiya says "Mother" and then you acquire a soul thingie that you will use later. Check your inventory (or Safiya's) to see if there is anything new.

If I am mistaken (that I may be, as I answer from what I remember) someone correct me...

I think therefore I am?

Could be!

Or is it really someone else

Who only thinks he's me?

Safiya says "Mother" and then you acquire a soul thingie that you will use later. Check your inventory (or Safiya's) to see if there is anything new.

If I am mistaken (that I may be, as I answer from what I remember) someone correct me...

Ah, that might explain why I have some weird soul housings (incomplete iirc)... I only remember finding one when browsing through peoples belongings ;)

Is what they want really made up of any of the 5 souls in the soul library? Limited hints, or even just one of the soul houseing # will do.

The souls you need are in the library. Can't remember the # for them right now, but iirc one is the green one (183 or somesuch? Or I could just be making that number up)

The 'merchants' can both be appeased with a single soul. You must first speak to Master Poruset, the golem, and enquire about soul transfusion: then, he should guide you rest of the way. Yes, both souls you need are in the library. You just have to, guided by your journal, find the two that are the right fit. It's not too difficult.

The mirror really annoyed me for a while, but you have to remember that on the south side of the room, there is a hidden corridor, the door is hidden behind a bookcase. Once you find that it should be easy to link up the two and get the soul. Remember that you can take the control mechanism off the pillar and use it remotely from your inventory, to make it easier.

The mirror really annoyed me for a while, but you have to remember that on the south side of the room, there is a hidden corridor, the door is hidden behind a bookcase. Once you find that it should be easy to link up the two and get the soul. Remember that you can take the control mechanism off the pillar and use it remotely from your inventory, to make it easier.

I didn't find the mirrors themselves a problem. I smashed the bookcases and got them lined up allright. My journal also hinted at placing characters between the beam and the first mirror, so no problem there. I must just have missed the results of having my party members "speak" to their equivalent duplicates...

I also tried a couple of soul combinations, joined by master poruset, but the two guys just kept complaining about it not being the right two that was fused together.

All in all, I found the souls in the "library", two empty soul housings, an incomplete soul and a fragmented soul (from sorting the ice and fire mephits).

The door in the head mistress' room took the incomplete and the fragmented one off my hands so far, leaving me with two empty housings and whatever two I can check out at a time (thanks to the pass given to me by master Poruset).

I'll have to try the #127 & #91 combo when I get home from work... looking forward to speaking to Jerro again :)

• 2 weeks later...

I think I must have beaten the odds to come up with teh least efficient means of testing the different souls. AND I got truned into a chicken twice.

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

I just want to go ahead and say thanks to Obsidian for the game. I don't think I have. Most specifically, the Spirit Eater mechanic. We see lots of people complain about games being dumbed down nowadays. Mask is not dumbed down, despite the fact that so many people seem to wish it was. The Spirit Eater mechanic requires attention and care, it adds strategy to gameplay outside of the encounters. And kudos for that.

Absolutely what I was about to say. I suck at being original.

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

Safiya's disintegrates are powerful indeed

How can it be a no ob build. It has PROVEN effective. I dare you to show your builds and I will tear you apart in an arugment about how these builds will won them.

- OverPowered Godzilla (OPG)

It is the first time I'd noticed a spellslinger being better than just marching my PC up to the target and smacking them upside the head with a section of fence post.

-Elwood Blues

I played mainly a spirit shaman (with a few levels of storm lord thrown in). I didn't anticipate another party member of that class. Not sure what I want to try next. Maybe just a pure fighter. All feats and no skills.

Nice bug in MotB

I left from Mulsantir with full craving and spirit energy 100.

When I arrive at Sunken City I die

"This journey is brief enough to have little impact on your health"

lolwut :lol:

Anyway, is there fix for this?

How can it be a no ob build. It has PROVEN effective. I dare you to show your builds and I will tear you apart in an arugment about how these builds will won them.

- OverPowered Godzilla (OPG)

Not yet. My game is stalled over this as well - it happens because as soon as you arrive at the sunken city, the game jumps you forward to a particular time of day. If your craving is high, that's usually enough to kill you - characters with lower craving don't notice it so much. Supposedly there's a workaround if you leave Mulhorand at exactly the correct time, you can survive it, but it never worked for me. A fix is promised in the next patch (whenever that is).

"An electric puddle is not what I need right now." (Nina Kalenkov)