EGM rumor: Obsidian working on a CIA game?

funcroc

Rumors are the media's way of trying to lay claim to an advance scoop without any factual basis.

"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

A reality-based RPG? eh... I've always preferred my RPGs to be rooted in the pulp genres - horror, fantasy and sci-fi.

If it's happening, I can't imagine it being anything other than a deeper version of Splinter Cell: Double Agent (not that there's anything wrong with that, it's just less than what I would expect from Obs), although I have to admit that a high-concept RPG indebted to the likes of Breach or John Le Carre would be mighty intriguing, if not half as potentially lucrative as Planescape:Torment. We need a spy thriller that isn't totally linear.

Edited by Pop

I was under the impression that Fergie explicitly stated that Obsidian was an RPG developer.

With the exception of maybe a point-and-click adventure, I can't see myself getting excited about any other style of game that Obsidian could turn out that would revolve around the CIA. I'm burned out on FPSes and action games, and those are the only other options that spring to mind.

Unless something is officially announced then its just useless speculation.

Murphy's Law of Computer Gaming: The listed minimum specifications written on the box by the publisher are not the minimum specifications of the game set by the developer.

@\NightandtheShape/@ - "Because you're a bizzare strange deranged human?"

Walsingham- "Sand - always rushing around, stirring up apathy."

Joseph Bulock - "Another headache, courtesy of Sand"

If this is true, a CIA RPG would be very interesting. Definitely nothing we've seen before.

The area between the balls and the butt is a hotbed of terrorist activity.

Devastatorsig.jpg

If they do a CIA type game the PC should be just some random bloke in the population. Someone like the Will Smith character in Enemy of the State which the player creates. He or she gets embroiled in a plot that he or she must some how survive and/or expose.

Murphy's Law of Computer Gaming: The listed minimum specifications written on the box by the publisher are not the minimum specifications of the game set by the developer.

That's actually a good idea. I've always thought Enemy of the State would make an excellent setting for a RPG. Just an ordinary guy caught up in extra-ordinary circumstances. Let the player do what he wishes (free-form) and only script the unavoidable situations when the player HAS to use his credit card or HAS to enter a bank or HAS to login to a computer as means of driving the story forward (and trigger the next batch of attacks from the government). Played out in contemporary times with a living, breathing city to explore and hide in and more problem solving and stealth than combat.

Ahem, what was the topic again? :ermm:

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

If they do a CIA type game the PC should be just some random bloke in the population.

No, they be should be part of some kind of secret training program, which would justify all sorts of mad RPG skills. The game would start with an amnesic player character after a job gone wrong who goes on a quest to find The Truth and eventually make out with Franka Potente.

CIA? Sounds like more console stuff to me.

Good lord that makes absolutely no sense at all. Congratulations.

Edited by Hell Kitty

Actually it makes a lot of sense. If you think of the sort of environments, weapons, gameplay etc that a CIA game would involve, it is the sort of thing that is best suited for consoles. It is also likely that it will have real time combat (or a system similar to KOTOR) and either 1st or 3rd person perspective.

Actually it makes a lot of sense. If you think of the sort of environments, weapons, gameplay etc that a CIA game would involve, it is the sort of thing that is best suited for consoles. It is also likely that it will have real time combat (or a system similar to KOTOR) and either 1st or 3rd person perspective.

Obsidian working on a CIA game

How do you infer?

Because real time in a 1st person perspective is best suited for consoles.

Or not.

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

Actually it makes a lot of sense.

No, it really doesn't.

If you think of the sort of environments, weapons, gameplay etc that a CIA game would involve

First of all, when all we know about the game is "CIA", we may be able to guess on some environments and weapons, but the gameplay could be anything. And there is no such thing as console specific environments and weapons.

It is also likely that it will have real time combat

The chances of it having real time combat would probably be pretty damn good, but nowadays there are more turn-based games on console anyway.

either 1st or 3rd person perspective.

Well, now you've won me over, of the very small number of PC games that used these perspectives, none of them worked as well as similar games on console, no sir. Pumpkin frog bucket, purple moon sunlight.

Well, if it is going to be a CRPG I rather not have it use first person view. I absolutely and completely hate that view in a CRPG. If I want 1st person view I'll play a FPS.

Because real time in a 1st person perspective is best suited for consoles.

They are best suited for FPS games, regardless of platform.

CIA setting fo RPG sound better than another fantasy world.

I couldn't agree more. While I like fantasy well enough, the thought of an RPG set in the modern world - with hi-tech stuff, sure, but no magic, Force or absurd sci-fi elements - is very appealing to me.

I wonder if this is true. :)

"An electric puddle is not what I need right now." (Nina Kalenkov)

I don't think I've ever played a RPG without any sort of lame magic or sci-fi elements (aliens or zombies and ****) in it. A CIA RPG could be the first, if they were to make it. The world is fantastic enough as it is (with technology and all) without the need to turn all para-normal.

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!