The Comic Thread in outer space

Kaftan Barlast

Well for the most part both DC and Marvel's cosmic fights end up with the status quo remaining the same. Well, Infinite Crisis caused several things to happen, like the Corps war between sinestro corps and the GLC (where the guardians of the universe finally allowed killing of the GLC's enemies, also superboy prime got killed finally).

But anything by Geoff Johns is gonna be good.

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

I kept saying Marvel needs to trade Jeph Loeb back to DC for Geoff Johns, then I realized that that would mean GL would likely suck

The area between the balls and the butt is a hotbed of terrorist activity.

Devastatorsig.jpg

Jeph Loeb, destroyer of the ultimate universe :verymad:

...although I didnt dislike ultimatum as much as everyone else. It had some interesting stuff going on. It wasnt like the final issue of Final Crisis, which is probably the least coherent and downright mind-boggling comic Ive ever seen outside of artsy ones.

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

Apparently Loeb's work on Hulk is pretty awful too.

Ultimatum had some decent ideas, and some of the deaths were needed/interesting, but overall it was terrible. Magneto dying was a good thing, he's overused and after what he did it was the only way to go. I don't understand how he could use magnetism to kill all wolverine's cells though. Wolverine is so overused so I didn't mind seeing him go, but until I read Ultimate X-men requiem, I thought they were gonna go Ultimate Cable with him, which would have been cool.

Janet and Hank's deaths were stupid. They managed to make Dazzler cool then they killed her. Syndicate was one of the like 2 new characters they made up for the Ultimate U and they kill him. Nightcrawler was a terrible death, the man can effing teleport, how does he get killed by a wave? Cyclops I don't mind dying, I didn't like the method of his death. Doom's death was lame and he shouldn't even be in the freaking universe anyway.

Devastatorsig.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I read the article and had been about to post it here. Surely a death knell for anything remotely interesting in Marvel?

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

Disney is an enormous company and have bought a lot of other bussinesses without disneyfying them, so I dont think it will change much from the previous owners. They could go nuts and close down all the non-childfriendly comics and settings, but they would probably lose alot more customers than they'd gain. The people who buy comics nowadays are in their 20's and 30's, they dont want the kind of inane but 'safe' entertainment that is Disneys forte.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_assets_owned_by_Disney

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

Interesting counterpoint, Kaft. :)

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

My guess is that Marvel's comic output will expand to include what they already do, plus eventually the licenses to Disney's comic characters in a seperate line. I mean Disney isn't going to buy a comic publisher and sell the rights to stuff to other publishers when they could do it in house, I'd think.

That said, it wouldn't surprise me if the non-mature Marvel lines (as opposed to MAX or ICON) end up reigned in a little either.

It also could mean Disney and Marvel comics (of appropriate age content) at the Disney parks, which could help the visibility of the media of comics.

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

Disney is an enormous company and have bought a lot of other bussinesses without disneyfying them, so I dont think it will change much from the previous owners. They could go nuts and close down all the non-childfriendly comics and settings, but they would probably lose alot more customers than they'd gain. The people who buy comics nowadays are in their 20's and 30's, they dont want the kind of inane but 'safe' entertainment that is Disneys forte.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_assets_owned_by_Disney

I do think that Disney will be more in tune with getting their stuff popular and probably will be harder on the EiC's to keep numbers up and prevent fiasco's like "brand new day" from happening.

My guess is that Marvel's comic output will expand to include what they already do, plus eventually the licenses to Disney's comic characters in a seperate line. I mean Disney isn't going to buy a comic publisher and sell the rights to stuff to other publishers when they could do it in house, I'd think.

That said, it wouldn't surprise me if the non-mature Marvel lines (as opposed to MAX or ICON) end up reigned in a little either.

It also could mean Disney and Marvel comics (of appropriate age content) at the Disney parks, which could help the visibility of the media of comics.

Disney already had a comic line IIRC. And Marvel had a small relationship with them to produce non-cannon samples of their lineup for the disney audience (I distinctly remember a spider man v sandman comic where spidey beat Sandy by using rock music.

I'm waiting for Howard the Duck and Donald Duck to teamup.

Disney has mostly licensed other companies to make their comics; they very briefly had a digest magazine that may have been made by them (but IIRC the interior comics were actually translated from their European magazines, as opposed to original for the US Market).

That's why I think that Disney's underutilized brands will find some form of exploitation under this new deal.

And hey, part of that is CrossGen the comic company Disney got to get Abdazad which they've not done anything with since...

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

My guess is Marvel's comic stuff will be unchanged, and what we'll see is a lot more marketing might. We might see an X-Men series on ABC, and surely all the marvel cartoons will now air on one of disney's susidiaries. Apparently the Pixar crew are insanely excited to be able to utilize the marvel properties and were already talking to the marvel peeps before the deal was finalized. Disney would be smart to start plugging comics in general in various movies and tv shows in order to break the idea that comics are for nerds and kids. There are titles for everyone, and owning the biggest comics publisher, breaking the mass-market stigma on comics would be a good idea.

Devastatorsig.jpg

Comics ARE for nerds, and speaking as a screaming nerd I'm all for facing up to that fact. I have nothing but contempt for the pasty faced masses who will only contemplate a medium if the bovine whey-ball next to them is already gazing blankly at it.

-Elwood Blues

Anyone remember Pixar? Disney doesn't really change the companies they buy, unlike EA.

"Alright, I've been thinking. When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade - make life take the lemons back! Get mad! I don't want your damn lemons, what am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life's manager. Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons. Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! With the lemons. I'm going to to get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that burns your house down!"

Comics ARE for nerds,

AND kids. Marvel won't change there comics? Why not the audience grows smaller and has been for such a long time, maybe a change is in order.

(Angrliy shakes fist) Stay off my lawn young punks!

There are comics out there for every kind of person except those who don't like pictures in their books. The problem is people think they're just for kids or nerds and no one outside the core audience buys them, and kids are too busy playing video games to read something.

Devastatorsig.jpg

Comics ARE for nerds,

AND kids. Marvel won't change there comics? Why not the audience grows smaller and has been for such a long time, maybe a change is in order.

There are comics out there for every kind of person except those who don't like pictures in their books. The problem is people think they're just for kids or nerds and no one outside the core audience buys them, and kids are too busy playing video games to read something.

It goes beyond that, when I was a kid I could get a comic book most anywhere at an affordable price, now the only place to find most comics are smelly comic specialty store with geeks that tend to scare the average person and they are no longer cheap. You lose new readers this way and it's just a small sample of one issue that plagues the industry as a whole.

Comics ARE for nerds,

It goes beyond that, when I was a kid I could get a comic book most anywhere at an affordable price, now the only place to find most comics are smelly comic specialty store with geeks that tend to scare the average person and they are no longer cheap. You lose new readers this way and it's just a small sample of one issue that plagues the industry as a whole.

Actually, Borders and B&N have comic book racks. I agree however that the model of comicbook stores isn't exactly going to grow your population.

The problem is that the US comic market hinged on stores existing that didn't mind selling low profit items.

Particularly with the rise of chain stores in the 70s, comic books were being squeezed out of rack space by magazines which had a higher profit margin than comic books.

The comic publishers essentially had only a handful of choices - change format or find a new venue. And while a number of comics found success in offering different formats (with magazine or digests with higher price and different visability in the racks), the only one that really seemed to work was the direct market, where the comic companies could sell the comics to their die-hard customer and not have to worry about accepting returns, as the comic shop kept the comics to become backstock - something normal chain stores would never do.

So its not surprising that the change happened, but it did put the industry into a situation where - for the most part - they were selling to a decreasing base of readers.

Actually, Borders and B&N have comic book racks. I agree however that the model of comicbook stores isn't exactly going to grow your population.

Really? Huh, I'm not sure if the ones around me have them, I haven't seen any. I've seen the compilation books that cover an entire series, but never single issue comics.

Really? Huh, I'm not sure if the ones around me have them, I haven't seen any. I've seen the compilation books that cover an entire series, but never single issue comics.

They're up in the magazine section at the ones around here. Not a big selection but still.

Hopefully this will mean marvel with stop sucking ass as they have for what the last 15 years.

That is offensively incorrect, if you honestly believe that you dont know squat about comics.. The past 10 years have seen the best writing and art in the companys history. I think we're actually in a new golden age, the 'Dark Reign' event is really interesting, the art is amazing, we've got three.. thats THREE separate regular Deadpool books comming out every month!!! :(

Disney would have to work hard to screw this up.