The Comic Thread in outer space

Kaftan Barlast

Ladis & Gentlemen, we are back once again to delve into the world of serialized entertainment. To start this off i hav two main issues:

#1. World war Hulk sucks

hulk106.jpg

WWH is marvels next crossover-orgy, but unlike "Civil War" who was awesome in almost every aspect, WWH is a stinker thought up by a 10yearold with ADD. The story is that hulk gets shot into space to save mankind from his repetead destructiv tantrums, he lands on an alien planet, becomes a cosmic gladiator, marries a hot chick but then the wreck of th capsule he was shot into space with explodes(nobody thought it was a bad ida to leave a damaged quantum-fussion-reactor unattended in your back yard?) and kills everyone on the plant except Hulk and som of his gladiator buddies. So the hulk gets mad, dons an 80's-looking fantasy armour and heads back to earth to take revenge on EVERYONE.

This is just daft. Whereas th moral an ethical aspects of "Civial war" really had some depth, WWH has the heroes choosing between the logical "we shot hulk into space to save lives, and it wasnt our fault his freaking spaceship exploded" and the moronic "It was mean to shoot him into space, so Im on his side". I got about 10 issues into th whole thing before the stupidity got to me and I took up reading DC comics.. which brings us to

#2. DC might kill off Big Barda :'(

DEANG_Cv1.jpg

DC comics will be releasing a new miniseries starting October entitled "Death of the new gods" in which they have confirmed that they will kill off every single character from the whole new genesis+apokalips thing, except ONE. This means Big Barda is now in mortal peril, as she has to compete with a lot of popular characters to remain in print :woot:

So, those of you who are more familiar with the DC universe, who will be the last prson standing? Who is the most popular among the "new gods" thingie? How can DC survive without Barda!?

edit: my "E" key is a bit wonky

Edited by Kaftan Barlast

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

The only DC comics I've liked have been Batman: Dark Victory, Kingdom Come and that Superman post-Suneater(?) arc. I didn't read the comics when I was a kid, so almost none of the characters appeal to me.

Also, is there some kind of compilation for Civil War? I've been kind of avoiding the cross over arcs ever since the travesty that was M-Day, but I've heard good things off this.

kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

It has made me the man I am today. A man who craves furry hentai.

So let us go and embrace the rustling smells of unseen worlds

You didn't even mention the corps war going on in DC. WHY DID YOU NOT MENTION A GIANT SENTIENT PLANET WITH A LANTERN RING GOING TO WAR!? >.>

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

I'm reading Mark Smylie's independent effort Artesia right now and liking it a lot. It's epic military fantasy and feels sort of like reading A Song of Ice and Fire novels and playing King of Dragon Pass at the same time.

ArtesiaPanel.jpg

The world is incredibly rich with detail and background lore, the storyline is complex, Smylie's writing is good and his water color art as well. Artesia is the best comic series you haven't read yet.

Really. I mean it. If you like fantasy and/or comics, there's no way you won't like it. There are only three albums (graphic novels or whatever you call them) out so far, and the fourth book, Artesia Besieged, is currently being published in normal comic book issues. Here are the names of the first three books:

1. Artesia

2. Artesia Afield

3. Artesia Afire

(4. Artesia Besieged)

Correct me if I'm wrong but is that a man on ski's, while in space? That just blows my mind. Next thing you know they'll have all sorts of super heroes on assorted sports equipment. Oh wait they already do. This is why comic books fail (except for a few).

There was a time when I questioned the ability for the schizoid to ever experience genuine happiness, at the very least for a prolonged segment of time. I am no closer to finding the answer, however, it has become apparent that contentment is certainly a realizable goal. I find these results to be adequate, if not pleasing. Unfortunately, connection is another subject entirely. When one has sufficiently examined the mind and their emotional constructs, connection can be easily imitated. More data must be gleaned and further collated before a sufficient judgment can be reached.

WHY DID YOU NOT MENTION A GIANT SENTIENT PLANET WITH A LANTERN RING GOING TO WAR!? >.>

Phh, the old "sentient planet with a lantern ring" chestnut? We've seen it like a dozen times before. And it's not near as upsetting as Big Barda being killed

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

Ladis & Gentlemen, we are back once again to delve into the world of serialized entertainment. To start this off i hav two main issues:

#1. World war Hulk sucks

hulk106.jpg

WWH is marvels next crossover-orgy, but unlike "Civil War" who was awesome in almost every aspect, WWH is a stinker thought up by a 10yearold with ADD. The story is that hulk gets shot into space to save mankind from his repetead destructiv tantrums, he lands on an alien planet, becomes a cosmic gladiator, marries a hot chick but then the wreck of th capsule he was shot into space with explodes(nobody thought it was a bad ida to leave a damaged quantum-fussion-reactor unattended in your back yard?) and kills everyone on the plant except Hulk and som of his gladiator buddies. So the hulk gets mad, dons an 80's-looking fantasy armour and heads back to earth to take revenge on EVERYONE.

This is just daft. Whereas th moral an ethical aspects of "Civial war" really had some depth, WWH has the heroes choosing between the logical "we shot hulk into space to save lives, and it wasnt our fault his freaking spaceship exploded" and the moronic "It was mean to shoot him into space, so Im on his side". I got about 10 issues into th whole thing before the stupidity got to me and I took up reading DC comics.. which brings us to

#2. DC might kill off Big Barda :'(

DEANG_Cv1.jpg

DC comics will be releasing a new miniseries starting October entitled "Death of the new gods" in which they have confirmed that they will kill off every single character from the whole new genesis+apokalips thing, except ONE. This means Big Barda is now in mortal peril, as she has to compete with a lot of popular characters to remain in print :o

So, those of you who are more familiar with the DC universe, who will be the last prson standing? Who is the most popular among the "new gods" thingie? How can DC survive without Barda!?

edit: my "E" key is a bit wonky

Darkseid will be the only survivor. You can't kill the only Superman villain thats actually somewhat of a threat. Though most people think Orion will be the survivor.

And while I haven't read much of WW Hulk, Planet Hulk was cool. He finally found peace, happiness, and acceptance and was heralded as a force for good, when the ship used to send him away explodes destroying everything good in his life. He's Hulk, Hulk smash. It also brings up a good point, that the only time Hulk really causes a lot of Damage on earth, is when people **** with him. If people just left him alone like he wants, none of that crap would happen.

post-296-1190488659_thumb.jpg

The area between the balls and the butt is a hotbed of terrorist activity.

Devastatorsig.jpg

I didn't hear anything good about Civil War. It sounded like a bunch of heroes fighting with nothing really going on up until Cap gets killed.

"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

Correct me if I'm wrong but is that a man on ski's, while in space? That just blows my mind. Next thing you know they'll have all sorts of super heroes on assorted sports equipment. Oh wait they already do. This is why comic books fail (except for a few).

If my memory serves me correctly, that's the Black Racer. He can kill you with a touch, apparantly, so I wouldn't be making fun of his skis. Then again, go ahead, Sluggo, and tell him he looks stupid.

bnwdancer9ma7pk.gif

Jaguars4ever is still alive.  No word of a lie.

Darkseid will be the only survivor. You can't kill the only Superman villain thats actually somewhat of a threat. Though most people think Orion will be the survivor.

And while I haven't read much of WW Hulk, Planet Hulk was cool. He finally found peace, happiness, and acceptance and was heralded as a force for good, when the ship used to send him away explodes destroying everything good in his life. He's Hulk, Hulk smash. It also brings up a good point, that the only time Hulk really causes a lot of Damage on earth, is when people **** with him. If people just left him alone like he wants, none of that crap would happen.

Although.. it would be alot more unpredictable to actually kill Darkside once and for all, while letting Barda survive all singl and stuff again :o

WWH is uninteresting and pubescent at best. After Civil War it's like all the good writers went on a big holiday and let the interns roam free.

She-Hulk: You shot my cousin into space you bastards!

Ironman: Well, that would normally be something to complain about, but normal cousins does not throw a hissyfit and kill 200 people because the wrong team won the superbowl.

She-Hulk: I dont care, it was wrong and Im going to help Hulk kick all you asses!

Ironman. Aw shucks, I knew we should just have shot Bruce in the face when he was taking a dump...

Kind of... except the last part... that was all me

I didn't hear anything good about Civil War. It sounded like a bunch of heroes fighting with nothing really going on up until Cap gets killed.

Civil War is the best crossover-party Marvel has ever thrown. The whole ethical and moral aspect might not be on par with less PG comics, but i liked it alot.

If my memory serves me correctly, that's the Black Racer. He can kill you with a touch, apparantly, so I wouldn't be making fun of his skis. Then again, go ahead, Sluggo, and tell him he looks stupid.

actually anyone who he casts his shadow over is dead... at one point in an alternate reality he casts it over the entire universe at the same time.

Although.. it would be alot more unpredictable to actually kill Darkside once and for all, while letting Barda survive all singl and stuff again :*

WWH is uninteresting and pubescent at best. After Civil War it's like all the good writers went on a big holiday and let the interns roam free.

She-Hulk: You shot my cousin into space you bastards!

Ironman: Well, that would normally be something to complain about, but normal cousins does not throw a hissyfit and kill 200 people because the wrong team won the superbowl.

She-Hulk: I dont care, it was wrong and Im going to help Hulk kick all you asses!

Ironman. Aw shucks, I knew we should just have shot Bruce in the face when he was taking a dump...

Kind of... except the last part... that was all me

Civil War is the best crossover-party Marvel has ever thrown. The whole ethical and moral aspect might not be on par with less PG comics, but i liked it alot.

They did point out though that every time Hulk has endangered people has been because someone came and dug him out of hiding or attacked him just because he was there.

The whole idea behind it is if they had just left him alone like he wanted, everyone would be fine, but they just won't leave him alone, so he's gonna kick everyone's ass.

Devastatorsig.jpg

*wants Ultimate World War Hulk*

kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

It has made me the man I am today. A man who craves furry hentai.

So let us go and embrace the rustling smells of unseen worlds

Wait....there is a comic book that has both Transformers AND superheroes? It looks like the Marvel World. I wonder how Magneto and Megatron would get along.

Are the Transformers immune to the powers of Magento?

Can Wolverine's Claws slice through the whatever alloys Transformers are constructed from?

Questions Questions.

Not really too much into comics, but Marvel Zombies was pretty good. Gonna go try and find that Transformers/Marvel thing too. :)

Wait....there is a comic book that has both Transformers AND superheroes? It looks like the Marvel World. I wonder how Magneto and Megatron would get along.

Are the Transformers immune to the powers of Magento?

Can Wolverine's Claws slice through the whatever alloys Transformers are constructed from?

Questions Questions.

Not really too much into comics, but Marvel Zombies was pretty good. Gonna go try and find that Transformers/Marvel thing too. :)

Transformers/Avengers I believe. I've heard its not too awesome.

Devastatorsig.jpg

is it this one http://www.marvel.com/catalog/?id=6964 ? :)

And since theyre made of metal, they shouldnt be immune... though they are increadibly heavy, but then again Magneto did throw like a SHIELD carrier once :o

Wolverine wouldnt have much chanc though, he's more of a people person.

Considering Marvel co-created the original Transformers alongside Hasbro, I'm surprised Marvel doesn't do much with them. It's like they gave up their portion of the franchise after the original series.

"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

• 1 year later...

How the hell does Jeph Loeb manage to not only be employed, but be considered one of the top writers in comics and be handed many of Marvel's high profile titles? He's like the Frank Quitely of writers.*

*For those who don't know, Frank Quitely is an artist who's style is characterized by everyone being big huge fat headed people with pursed lips and squints, generally making everyone look like the same person with different hair. Considering him an artist is an insult to artists. He is also very popular.

Edited by Oerwinde

Devastatorsig.jpg

It's not like Marvel isn't an assortment of incompetent writers and artists, anyway.

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

Considering Marvel co-created the original Transformers alongside Hasbro, I'm surprised Marvel doesn't do much with them. It's like they gave up their portion of the franchise after the original series.

They were - afaik - independently contracted to help develop the core concepts with the Transformers US incarnation (they did the same with ROM, Micronauts and GI Joe). Marvel only owns the original creations they made in creating/telling the stories, while everything else is owned controlled by the toy owners (and is why Bug and the Spaceknights can still kick around the MU)

How the hell does Jeph Loeb manage to not only be employed, but be considered one of the top writers in comics and be handed many of Marvel's high profile titles? He's like the Frank Quitely of writers.*

*For those who don't know, Frank Quitely is an artist who's style is characterized by everyone being big huge fat headed people with pursed lips and squints, generally making everyone look like the same person with different hair. Considering him an artist is an insult to artists. He is also very popular.

Frank Quitely is a pretty good artist, IMO. Although I can understand why people don't like his style.

Loeb's always been a bit hit or miss for me.

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

I don't read many comics anymore since most of the stories are so awful (for me personally), but I still look at the art from time to time, though sequential art doesn't interest me as much as it used to.

Anyway, I think is Frank Quitely a really good artist. SO there. Especially in a world that hails Mike Mignola as some kind of brilliant artist. Or Ben Templesmith.(I enjoy both of their work, btw, I'm just making a point on stylistic approaches and differences to sequential art)

Not everybody needs to draw like Frank Cho. Or even John Buscema. Though they are both awesome as well.

That is all.

Notice how I can belittle your beliefs without calling you names. It's a useful skill to have particularly where you aren't allowed to call people names. It's a mistake to get too drawn in/worked up. I mean it's not life or death, it's just two guys posting their thoughts on a message board. If it were personal or face to face all the usual restraints would be in place, and we would never have reached this place in the first place. Try to remember that.

Frank Quitely is a pretty good artist, IMO. Although I can understand why people don't like his style.

Loeb's always been a bit hit or miss for me.

See, and I can't understand why people do like his style :thumbsup:

Loeb has done some good work in the past, but it seems like since now that he's established himself he's just pumping out poo like its gold. Ultimates 3 was just... wow... I know Joe Mad was partly to blame for that turd but still. Jealous robot, random return of Venom, Wasp leading the team, Black Panther suddenly a member of the team, as appointed by Nick Fury, who was trapped in another dimension so how the hell can he appoint anyone, Dr Doom inexplicably returns from the Zombie universe, Quicksilver and Scarlet Witch lovers, Hawkeye going from badass black ops commando to emo... just wow

Devastatorsig.jpg

I personally don't like Quietly's art because of what oerwinde said, as well as the fact that everyone also looks like they are 400 pounds o muscle and their face got smashed in.

See, and I can't understand why people do like his style :p

Loeb has done some good work in the past, but it seems like since now that he's established himself he's just pumping out poo like its gold. Ultimates 3 was just... wow... I know Joe Mad was partly to blame for that turd but still. Jealous robot, random return of Venom, Wasp leading the team, Black Panther suddenly a member of the team, as appointed by Nick Fury, who was trapped in another dimension so how the hell can he appoint anyone, Dr Doom inexplicably returns from the Zombie universe, Quicksilver and Scarlet Witch lovers, Hawkeye going from badass black ops commando to emo... just wow

Well for the most part, I've never understood the appeal of the Ultimate line, so while I know most fans hate what Loeb is doing with it, I'm neutral as I'm not reading it.

I will say the only things I can think of that I really liked by Loeb were some time ago.

Edited by Amentep

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man